How well are the SF changes working?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Axanar, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Axanar Guest

Hi!
    Now that many people have had a week to play around and experience all of the changes (and that my illusionist is just not that exciting any more):
    What are your opinions of the changes to necros this expansion?
    How do they stack up against wizards and conjurors in DPS and group fun :p?
    I am reconsidering dusting off my old necro main from EoF/RoK.
    Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Garlin1 Guest

So far so good. Not really sure how well Accelerated Decay works as far as a DPS standpoint. Everytime I parse with or without it numbers all all over the place. One more point till I can try out elemental tox. Right now in groups I am pulling a pretty steady 7-8k single mobs and around 13-18k group encounters. Ya, random but its due to our new AA that gives the mage pet double spell chance. Group setup included a troub for these numbers, did not have upbeat tempo.
  3. ARCHIVED-Sosumya Guest

Don't leave AD on if you are questing / solo. lol that health cost sucks then.

ET is amazing on AE fights I've gotten over 2K alone from it on the parse.
  4. ARCHIVED-Axanar Guest

Thanks!
    How do necros compare now to conjurers and sorcerers after the boost?
  5. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

like every expansion : crappy compared to the other mages.
  6. ARCHIVED-Axanar Guest

Thank you for the info. That is sad to hear . I always pick the "best" classes lol ... I was hoping necros got the boost they desperately needed this expansion to put them in line with the others.
  7. ARCHIVED-Daelim Guest

Personally I'm having a blast on my Necro. A few days ago i was bored and looking for something to do at lvl 88 and two of my guildies, a lvl 85 fury and an 85 illusionist, asked for help on a few quests. I ran over to Stonebrunt, sent out my Undead Knight VII (master), gathered up all the mobs they needed in one pull and surprise surprise, my pet actually held agro while we killed them all. So i figured "Hey, lets go try this in the hole." So we did. My pet tanked quests in the hole for 2 hours without any trouble at all. We even added a ranger that is well known for overagroing and getting himself slaughtered, still my pet held agro just fine. Granted, everyone was taking it easy and not going balls to the wall all out in DPS but the ranger and myself were both able to hold 3 to 3.5k DPS reliably without overagroing and my tainted heals were hitting for around 9700 so healing the pet (who has 24k health) was no problem. We quested for a little over two hours with only one death right at the start when the ranger tried to see just how far he could push it.
    Yesterday at level 89 I pet tanked one of the Vasty Deep instances for a full group because our SK was getting his tail ripped off and fed to him. My lvl 86 tank pet (The 77 master stops leveling with you at lvl 86 and I only have an adept of the lvl 87 tank) was able to hold agro just fine and none of the bosses resisted my manipulations spells so tainted heals worked just fine to surge him back to full health while the warden complained that his heals didn't seem to be doing anything. Note to self, the lvl 77 master tank pet in a full group ranging from lvl 80 to me at 89 buffed to 28k health and 11000 mitigation. Level 80 Warden HoTs that tick for 2-3k don't even register... lol
    One of my favorite things about Necro's when i was originally leveling him up (My Necro is 2285 days old, Created the day EQ2 went live) was the fact that he had a solid tank, decent heals and was able to solo stuff that most people needed a group for. Even though he was next to useless in a group he was incredibly overpowered solo which gives me the option of playing him whenever and however I want. He doesn't need a group for a lot of content but he's still DPS if i want to get a group going. MoY destroyed my ability to solo. The tank pet just couldn't hold agro to save my life (Literally). Now I'm right back to being just powerfull enough to do the things I want to do solo but I'm actually useful to a group if I feel like grouping. I CAN solo in the Hole and even trash mobs in some of the Hole instances but it takes to long to kill those mobs solo for it to be worth the effort. However if I can find a few people to go along with me but we don't have a tank or can't find a healer I can fill those rolls just fine as long as everyone in the group pays attention to what they are doing.
    I haven't gotten into an instance group since I dinged 90 yesterday with 191 AA's but at level 89 wearing my Myth, three pieces of T2 and the rest all T1, Quest drop Jewelry from Kunark and MoY and one piece of random junk loot that dropped in SF and using my level 83 adept Nightshade V I was able to consistantly hold between 7-8k DPS through two of the instances in the Hole which put me firmly in second place on the parser behind an assassin from one of my servers raid guilds that was averaging around 14k DPS... I was seriously expecting to get booted from that group for sucking but they actually seemed happy to find that a scrub Necro from a small family type guild that didn't even have full T2 could pull that kind of number with a junk adept I pet out. lol

So in my opinion, what is the current state of Necro's in EQ2?
    My personal opinion is that a week into the expansion and at level 90 we haven't been completely fixed but they did a good job of making us fun again. We can fill rolls that will make us desirable for instance groups but a lack of quality players who just want to sit back, send in the pet and nuke will make it a long time before the general game population learns about it. My recomendation is get out there, join some groups and make use of all of your abilities so people will remember your name and want to group with you or invite you on raids. I get group invites now from some of the top raiders on my server not because they need a necro to round out there group but because they know I can play my class well. We still aren't THE needed class for grouping but we have potential to bring a LOT of different things to the group that needs those particular things.
  8. ARCHIVED-Garlin1 Guest

9. ARCHIVED-Lorrn Guest

almost 87 now, been taking it slow to experience the new content at the level its meant to, hehe. SO far I like it. I havent been in an optimal necro group yet so cant comment on comparitive dps really but in my normal group that I've had for quite a long time, they LOVE my necro even more now. Elemental Toxicity is jsut that awesome, combined with way better pets its jsut brought back that fun factor. I actually use vampirism now too and it doesnt die in half a sec anymore.

Seriously if you wanna get the giggle factor in a group. get in a group with a dirge with rythmic overature and simul cast your elemental tox with their overature it is jsut LOL the whole time their up cause the numbers just wont stop flying over the mobs heads hehe.

And yes everyone I have grouped with loves the buff they get form my pet also. so overall my experience is slightly less hate toward my necro but will still have to see how it goes when raiding gets back into full swing.
  10. ARCHIVED-Garlin1 Guest

Really parse vampirism and you will be amazed. I was pulling 24k in vasty deep last night on some group encounters. Just got Elemental tox so can't wait to use vamp, consumption, and ET at one time. Gonna go for that 30k parse next.
  11. ARCHIVED-Hardain Guest

I cast Vampirism on tank, and if it doesn't get killed by AE, and there's good bunch of mobs, it will deal some nice damage.
    Also ET rules on AE fights, 6 number damage digits on parse easily, and the buff applies to all group members.
  12. ARCHIVED-BLIGHTBRINGER Guest

This is purely anecdotal but normally i solo, and if I set tank on mob and go off to pick up a shiny or something, when i get back to the fight, the tank (master) would be holding his own healthwise, but not knocked much off the mob till I started helping, with or with out dumbfires, lich and consumption. Now however, if I use dumbfires, I come back and find the mob seriously depleted so they seem to make quite a difference now. Just anecdotally I seem to be soloing much better in SF than before, unless the mobs just have less HP! I am certainly enjoying it more again amd I havent ripped aggro off the tank once so far (which i did all the time before).
    I am finding it hard to assess the new treasured drops against the T1 armour. It seems to have some great stats for necros but quite a bit less for the actual armour figure, so I don't know what to do other than experiment. Any thoughts?
    Hellstone
  13. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

how about having consumption groupwide. necro are still leeching from everyclass without bringing anything to the group while everyother class has at least something they bring?
  14. ARCHIVED-Lorrn Guest

I cant tell if your second sentance there is a question or a statement heh.

but personally I havent tried the new consumptoin aa yet cant wait to get it though, sounds very good.

as far as what my necor brings.. well I bring everything i used to bring jsut all the things i bring work now. hehe
    vampirism.. works
    dumbfires.. if you position them right,, yeah they work
    pets .. omg they are great this time around.
    elemental toxicity .. this is one i can see group leaders asking you if you have before they let you join hehe pwns

lets see regardless of the fact that i can solo the hole. was in a group in there last night and we had 3 named on track at once. tank pulled one, I pulled both of the others and killed one solo while group took down main target and pet tanked both other named the whole time. so um yeah i dont jsut dps. and fyi this was a scout pet tanking them not my tank pet heh.

my personal view and the recently changing views of my normal go to group is that my necro fills multiple roles far more easily then we used to. they are already yelling at me for toxicity everytime its up, and they are starting to trust in my new pets ability to lay down the smack on mobs by himself. and oh yeah our groups tank frikin loves vampirism heh.

I like the small tweaks we got. sure we could use some more tweaks here and there, for instance since we arent gonna get those debuffs they were talking about for so long and that brigands still hate us for losing theirs btw even though we didnt get them lol, then perhaps our personal non-pet damage isnt where its supposed to be. I seem to remember the devs stating that our dmg was fine since we are getting more utility which we never got so is our damage still fine? hehe.. I'm comfortable where im at with my necro now but there is room for improvement still.
    I'm hoping our lifeburn gets changed though over anyhting else though. conjys eb is jsut way way WAY overpowered compared to LB , although folks will argue that eb isnt the equivalent of lb well it isnt.. eb jsut pwns lb totally and necros have nothing of that scale in any form.. but im still optimistic that we will get some more love eventually but back on topic overall i'm loving my necor more then i used to.
  15. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

consumption with aa only give the heal portion not the damage. giving necro a temp group damage buff would help them be desired. as they are now they leech from troub illy healers wizzard and warlock and they bring NOTHING NADA NIET RIEN to the group. the only think they have is shared by conjuror (elemental toxicity) and conjuror bring much more to the group than necro give necro a real group utility that make raid leader think "hey why not add a necro to our raid force." make the ooze crawler a perma debuff added to minion mark for 5 aa. this would solve necro terrible desirability.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jasuo Guest

Necros hit the ground running this expansion but don't let all the shiny new stuff they threw in detract from the problems still plaguing us. Our not getting full benefit from every AA spent 100% of the time like other classes and dumbfires/swarms dying to the overlapping and uncureable AE's. The scout pet is still not up to par and weapon mastery is not applying correctly to it nor is our mythical conversion spell increasing it's auto attack. Accelerated decay, while nice, is still not justifying the health cost. To name a few.
  17. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

^ speaks the truth. shinie little thing handed to you are only here to divert your eye from the underlying issues.
  18. ARCHIVED-Garlin1 Guest

I never really paid attention to what Minon's Mark did before, but it does debuff all resistances now (except physical). So that is a added bonus, provided that was changed lol.