How to switch from your target to your target's target

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Stormsong, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Stormsong New Member

Is there a command or keystroke which allows you to switch from your target to the enemy which your target is targeting. So as a healer, if I am targeting the tank, is there a way to switch my target to the enemy which the tank is hitting? I would like to do this in case the enemy switches to attacking a different player in the group.
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

Well you can do a few things.
    - Target the boss to begin with. This way you always have target on his target.
    - Make Target Macro's to swap (this only works well in a Raid when you frequently heal the same person.
    - Click on the boss during the fight or if you are using Profit UI there is an "implied target" window you can click on.

I would recommend casting pre-heals on the tank before he pulls and then targeting the Named during the fight in most cases this will ensure you are healing the enemies target.
  3. Finora Well-Known Member

In general use, you can just make an assist key or type /assist and you will assist (target whatever they are targeting) whomever it is you are wanting to target the target of. If you wish(this is what I do), you can make it say /assist person'sname so you don't even have to have them targeted to target what they are targeting. Now when you get a new tank or new person to assist you will have to change the name but that only takes seconds so no biggie.

If you are in a raid situation or don't like to use the f keys to switch between group members you can make another macro to /target person'sname to switch back. You can also map a key to switch back to previous target (I recommend doing this anyway as there are mobs that will switch your target & it's important to go back to your original target).
  4. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

If you target to assist the tank - say..to heal...you will damage whatever they are targeting when you cast a damage spell. It's called Implied Targeting, and you usually don't have to switch to directly target the mob in order to damage it. There's a weird little glitch in pvp that sometimes makes you have to directly target an enemy player to damage them, but usually just assisting the tank does the trick.

Estred's tactic of targeting the mob to heal the mob's target is fine, unless your more important heal priority isn't who the mob is targeting. For example: If I'm in a raid healing the Main Tank, and an mage gets aggro - I don't want my heal to automatically go to that mage, when my priority is the tank. I will target the mage directly to heal if circumstances allow. I don't want it automatically decided for me because I've directly targeted the mob.....but that's a personal preference, not a hard and fast rule.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Correct, you really only want to heal through the boss IF the boss frequently changes between the MT and the OT usually only happens in raid settings. For Heroic groups it is best to have target/assist macros set up to change targets.

Edit: also your mages shouldn't be snapping aggro ;)
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

*I* know that, and *YOU* know that...tell THEM that! :)
    Kuulei likes this.
  7. Lacksmelanin Member

Stormstrong I have mine set to the I key. If you go to options make sure you have advanced options enabled. I think that is at the top right of the window.
    Not in game now so for the life of me can't remember where it is, but maybe controls or something like that. The option is in there and you can make it any key you want it to be.