How survivable is the wizard?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-GoatSlave, Aug 15, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-GoatSlave Guest

Hello to all.

What I am asking here is this:

1. You are walking along and decide to pick that nice root that you may need for your alchemy. You bend down and suddenly, out of nowhere 3 linked MOBs spawn on top of you. Lets say they are white cons. As a wizzy would you have enough time/life to mez/root/stun whatever tools wizzy has in order to get away from them? Could you actually stay and fight them?
    I like to play caster characters but too many times they are the so called glass cannons so consequently you die just because you get jumped due to unforeseen spawn where as a melee type can choose to fight or flee since he has enough life and up-close prowess to make that choice.

2. The necromancer has a pet making them more survivable that goes without saying...does that mean that necros can solo better than a wizzy? Better meaning low downtime, even con slaughter. Especially those pesky linked mobs.

I thank you for any info.
  2. ARCHIVED-Kamujin Guest

If you stay and fight, it could go either way.

At most levels and in most cases you should win.

I will say that my wizzy has much more chance of dying in this situation then my Templar or my Pally.

In ALL cases that chance is pretty low.
  3. ARCHIVED-Ghostbeard Guest

At 41.6 Wizards currently get a 36 second - unbreakable 'encounter' root.

That means if you got jumped by group of 2 or 3 or more "linked" mobs - And could get off Ring of Cold - the entire encounter would be locked down - and you'd have a few seconds to assess your current situation. Burn the encounter down? Run for the zone line screaming like a little girl? Your choice.

If you chose to lay them to waste - you'd have a few seconds to get ahead of the encounter - and burn down one or more of them before the timer on RoC expired - and you were down to cleaning up the leftovers.

Survivability levels with the current version of RoC are pretty high.

Sadly, there are currently changes in place on the test server that will render RoC largely impotent - and change these dynamics dramatically.

I'd give some serious thought to waiting to after these changes roll out - presumably with the DoF expansion - before making any significant decisions.

-GB-
  4. ARCHIVED-adamflanagan Guest

generally you are able to run... especially if you have a horse. the only time i get into trouble is when they stun me and they usually kill me pretty quickly. i dont really see any point in rooting before running as that time could be spent getting distance between you and the MOB and if there are more than 2 of them it will probably get interrupted.
  5. ARCHIVED-Robsco Guest

You Beat me to the Punch
    I'm always on my horse when I am fighting.
    I normally Harvest in Everfrost. Lots of nice rock clusters by the leopard area. I always try to watch my back but as soon as a ^^ comes over and hits me I simply trot away. If it gets nasty I throw a Paralyze on him and then run. I hear people having problems with Paralyze but mine seems to not get resisted to often. All though my Paralyze is a Master. Perhaps soe made a useful master for me finally =). Sort of off the subject but I hear they are changing Paralyze to a nice size Nuke plus stun.
    Also having all your 15 minute buffs on to help with some Mitigation. You can also cast Mail of Frost as a emergency. Believe it or not the 400 or so Ward actually saved my butt a few times.
    Thanks
    Robsco the Humble Gnome Steamfont
  6. ARCHIVED-tass Guest

Well it goes like this if the mob is ur lv or lower u should be able to wack em all, but due to soe screwing with solo encouters and making some things harder than others its a 50 50 chance. ex, in zek a lv 30 beats the hell outa me at 32 but in nek i can solo a mob of pathcwork guys. all depends on if there superchrged to hit for 300 and 500 at a time
  7. ARCHIVED-Grycks Guest

Why did wizards get an invisibility spell? Makes recovering shards possible. If you're surprised by more than one and they aren't grey? Run Forrest, run!