How long will Everquest 2 last ?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Aran Anar, Jan 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kheldar Active Member

EQ2 PoP is NOTHING like EQ1 PoP. EQ1 Pop introduces a LOT, including new zones, and serious questlines. EQ2 PoP is at best an adventure pack expansion, with virtually no content, and completely unfinished even for the limited content.
    Soara2, Rhodris, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  2. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Exactly
    Soara2 and Kuulei like this.
  3. MikeB New Member

I think I've played every MMO out there and ended right back to EQ2 where home is. I'm actually very surprised the player base isn't much higher because the amount of "everything" EQ2 has and offers kills other MMOs. Besides the Everquest series, my other favorite is, was, actually Runescape. That game has the best and most involved quests out there. However, what killed RS for me was the amount of BOTs. Now it seems there are 4 BOTs for every 5 players and it pissed me off so bad I deleted my account. I hope EQ2 goes on forever, but I think honestly Pantheon will draw all the EQ 1 and 2 veterans.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

I don't think it's going to be another game that kills EQ2. EQ2 is going to kill EQ2.
    Soara2, Rhodris, Tekka and 2 others like this.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

I don't know. It's not going to draw me. At least not for a while. Been there done that getting burned by McQuaid. I'd rather not waste my time and money again.
    I think there's a fair number of people in my boat.
    Rhodris likes this.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

UO hit 20 years in 2017. The population is negligible now but its still going and there must be enough players that EA is still controlling it.

Every game will turn off the lights at some point. If EQ2 is not profitable or not making enough to fund other ventures, CN will sell it off or shut it down. Investment Capitalists do not keep things around that cost them money.

You always need to keep in mind when you start playing any game, that at some point its going to die. Judge your spending based on what you see, is there a lively population, is it fun, etc. I have found there are a couple pre-cursors to look for, is the main chat filled with negativity and nastiness almost all the time and it seems the closer to death a game is, the more trollish type people start playing, they are mean to others, they are not willing to help, they continually start drama in channels and they make fun of everybody for everything.
  7. Relanah Active Member

From what I hear, Pantheon won't do much to EQ2 players.

As most of what I hear about it is that it's a worse EQ1. Which shouldn't be that enticing to EQ vets...

Not only that, but most vets hang around because of their friends/guilds which means there only likely to jump ship if a bunch of other people do aswell.

Most likely, will be some people maybe switching to Krono to keep their accounts as all access while they try out Pantheon and then likely returning once the excitement of a fresh new game wears off.

Well, the trolls aren't the worst warning sign. Since that means that there are normal players still there for them to troll. As trolls don't get so much satisfaction from other trolls.

When it's quiet is when its worse. Since that means even the trolls have moved on...

The other major warning signs I recall are:

- When power leveling becomes prevalent. See: CoH when there was an "Exploit" with the mission architect that allowed people to level up really easily by running ridiculously high level missions that weren't particularly hard. As this basically just shuts down 90% of the game by being the best way to level and then you reach end game and are like "Well... Now what?"

- When major imbalances remain for long periods of time. See: WAR where for much of its last years it was literally just a matter of "Go glass cannon (Sorc/BW/Choppa/Slayer) or healer or go home" since those were the only classes that mattered. Glass cannons were the only ones with high enough damage to combat healer output and healers were OP and completely negated the negative aspects of these glass cannons (Sorc/BW would damage themselves while at max power, but would get healed up instantly by healers. Chop/Slay would take more damage while at max rage. But who cares have a billion heals!)

Then looking back at EQ2...

Quiet chats these days, because people are either not playing, playing solo/duo or are only doing in-guild groups...

Agnostics are around specifically to help power level and outside that there's some easy to farm dungeons while agnostics aren't that lucrative...

Imbalances... Well, that's been the name of the game for a while... Just look at the stats people are getting these days. Not to mention the state of classes *Glances over at Fighters*...

Makes you think doesn't it?
  8. Melt Actually plays the game

PoP undeniably has more content than KA but people weren't complaining as much back then :thinking:
  9. Keedahm Member

Maybe because not all play styles got the same level of development attention?
    Rhodris likes this.
  10. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Or, the more people get burned the less likely they are to shrug it off and keep going. Eventually some of them are bound to speak up.

I've seen people make references to things as old as AoD, DoV being split up, and the treatment of PvP in regards to why they are unhappy on top of what's happening now. SOE/DBG has never done a good job of recognizing or catering to all of the different play styles represented by the EQ2 player base, but more and more different people from different sub-groups of the game's community seem to feel slighted or ignored. After a while some of them are bound to have had enough of it and start looking for greener pastures.

No one ever seems to complain as long or as loudly about a game as the people who were the most ardent fans who later feel as if they were burned by the thing they were so passionate about.

I don't care what anyone claims at this point, the community both in game and on the forums is dying. That's not because the game is old, because of ridiculous claims of toxicity, or because people are fickle. That's because of the game itself and how it's been run.
    Steelviper, Iglu, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  11. Kheldar Active Member

I see much less content in PoP. As in virtually nothing.
    KA re-used old content, true, but it made it stretch out. I'm done with PoP, and have been since about two weeks after the release.
  12. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

13. Melt Actually plays the game

I was speaking in response to someone calling this expansion very small but the fact is it's bigger than the last one, so, relatively, complaining about size is baseless.
    Keedahm likes this.
  14. Tekka Well-Known Member

PoP undeniably has more content for whom?

Certainly not tradeskillers - who got recipes that are out of whack or had some of their staple recipes changed to artisan status, available to all - which also affects those who tradeskill and adventure equally.

One rush order was provided for each class to grind to level cap. Does that count as 'content'? Of course it doesn't.

A PvE achievement (which is a hot mess) that happens to require a couple of craft combines got slapped with a TS label. Does that count as TS 'content'? Nope, the tag is an appeasement, something to point to - See, we put a TS achievement in.

The state of Adornments is boggling - and dead silence on if it's intended to be that jacked or not, since Beta when the issues were first brought up.

And lets not forget the TS signature line that keeps getting pushed back, because they didn't want to put out the first one which was 'not fun' - as if a tedious grind with an inadequate number of actual quests is 'fun' for anyone, tradeskiller or adventurer.

And that is why folks are complaining, in my opinion, whether there is technically more content or not. Perception makes a huge amount of difference, as does how The Community is treated by The Team.
    Cyrrena, Rhodris and Mizgamer62 like this.
  15. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Those bubble gnomes....you can't burst those bubbles, man. All nice and cozy in there, so they are not gonna come outside on their own :)

P.S. just tell me where to send the bad check for the TM infraction
    Mizgamer62 and Tekka like this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Since EQ1 is still going, EQ2 is probably going to be around for years yet.
    Kuulei likes this.
  17. Melt Actually plays the game

More content in general. I'm really not interested in a discussion about tradeskill content, because the point of my comment was purely about content. There is undeniably more content in the game. Less tradeskill but proportionally more adventure than KA.
  18. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

KA is not exactly a useful benchmark for making comparisons, imho.
    Soara2 likes this.
  19. Keedahm Member

Plane of knowledge will save the game :D
  20. Dinglebert Jones Member

How? It wouldn't bring about anything game changing. Everyone already has their own private PoK, it's called a guild hall. The social and QoL features that PoK brought to the original EQ are already long here in EQ2.
    Soara2 and Mizgamer62 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.