How do I move a house?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Caela, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Caela Well-Known Member

I have a 6 room Qeynos house and want to move it to the "magical manor" in Qeynos - which is the exact same layout.

So, how best do I move the house? Save the layout - then what?

I do have multiple alts that have stuff in the house - including selling stuff and tradeskill apprentices researching stuff. I also have a few items, including no-trade things, that someone left in my house when they were a trustee. I'm not sure she is a trustee any more - and I'm not sure I can make her a trustee, as she stopped playing before a server merge and has not logged in since the merge. Otherwise, everyone else that has stuff* is a trustee of both houses.

Any help - or link to a guide would be appreciated. There is no way I can create the house over again on my own - I suck at decorating.

*Apparently I like the word stuff
  2. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Moving a home isn't too difficult. First, go to the magical manor in Qeynos. Make sure you've purchased the manor, not just claimed the deed. Another way is to check on your Persona window. The Character tab should have its own tab labeled "Housing." Make sure the Magical Manor is listed there.

Once you've done that, return to the 6 room house in Qeynos that has the items in it. Stand OUTSIDE the door, in the city. Click the door. The window to enter the house should pop up. Next to the button that says "Enter House," there should be a second button that says "Move Items." Click that button. A list of all of the addresses you own should pop up. You can then pick where the contents of the house are moved to.

EVERYTHING in the house moves addresses, regardless of owner. You won't have to worry about the no-trade items belonging to other people, as they'll be packed in with everything else. You won't have to worry about trusteeing anyone else, since everything goes.

Once you're in the new house, you can then load the layout, and everything should pop into place.

Good luck!
    Feara likes this.
  3. Caela Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I had no idea you could actually "move".

But... this might get icky.

It's not the same toon that owns both houses.

Toon A - owns the 6 Room Qeynos
    Toon B (on a different account) owns the Magical Manor (which is freaking hard to get! I went through about 100 packs to get it)
    Feara likes this.
  4. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Ah yes. In that case you're in trouble as far as the no-trade items belonging to someone else. You can make her trustee. Unfortunately, as she hasn't logged in, making her trustee won't do anything to get the items moved.

You could petition, but it's doubtful they'll be willing to help you with this issue. Nevertheless, you can't know for sure that the answer is "no" unless you ask.

How hard are the items to obtain? Perhaps you can have someone else replace them.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

You can't use the 'move' option if the same toon does not own both houses. In that case you'll have to manually move all the items from one house to the other. Loading the layout should 'redecorate' easily once you've got everything moved, though
  6. Caela Well-Known Member

I just looked - it's a stove and three counters - so I think I could get them replaced.

Can I just do a "pack contents" and that get most of the stuff packed - would it leave the no-trade stuff? Or would it pack it?
  7. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

The "pack contents" will simply pack everything into the moving crate. It will not help you at all in this situation.

The command you want is the "Collect All Items" button (it looks like several pieces of furniture with an up arrow on the left side of the button) on the /house menu. It will collect everything up until the first no-trade item in the house's item list. Then you'll need to switch to the "Collect an item" button. That will bring up the list of items in the house, and you can easily tell what's no-trade and what you can pick up, as the no-trade items have "This item is NO TRADE and belongs to <character name>" underneath their names. Simply select the house item you'd like to retrieve, and click the "Retrieve Item" button.

Make sure you go into the house with bags as empty as possible before you start all of this!

Happy moving.
  8. Caela Well-Known Member

So, after reading this, had a slight change. I actually have two toons with the large Qeynos home - the one I originally wanted to move is the oldest and is well decorated - except for the new room they added after it was all decorated - I stuffed my apprentices in there and left food on the floor.

But the other one is fairly new and is actually my main's home, but she doesn't really use it - because it comes with a buttload of status - and I'm terrible at decorating, so it just kinda sat.

So - looking at the older home, it had like 700 items that had to be moved. The other one, only 200 (though that can't be right, but that's what it said - maybe some are in the moving crate and I'm all confused - imagine, a gnome, confused...)

Anyway - at 48 slots per bag x 6 bags - at most I was moving at a time was 288. That seemed, well, icky. Plus, the older house has all the status reduced - so I'm just paying less than 15 gold a week.

So - I decided to move the newer house. Emptied all my bags, saved the layout (while it was not "decorated" stuff was put down - I tried to make a purple palace, so the front room has purple tiles and a purple disco ball.). Then collected everything. It filled all 288 slots - I went to the magical manor, and one by one emptied them - then packed away the contents - figured that was easier than leaving it all strewn about. then went back and got more - again, it filled my bags (which is why I say it saying I had 200 items in the house could not be right). It also said an item didn't belong to me - but bringing up the list of contents didn't show any no-trade items*. But then I had to go to bed - so I'll do more tonight :) I still have more stuff to collect - so that is like over 500 items, with still more to go. I'm guessing I'm real confused about how to read the item amounts on a house. I think it said like 102 items (104 actual/204 in moving crate) - so sounds to me it would be like 308 items total - but I should have been able to pick that up in two trips.

*No-trade items - ok, this toon has a quirk too - she started off on Freeport, and a friend, who no longer plays, gave me a bunch of purple items. Some of those might have been no-trade. But when I transferred my toon to Butcherblock, all the stuff came over - and I don't think it says it belongs to someone else any more - but maybe the game is confused.
  9. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

If you transfer off server, anything in your character's home that didn't belong to you, now belongs to you. Since the previous owner is no longer on the same server as you are, if that makes sense. It will also do this for your alts, by the way, if you drop something off in your house from an alt, heirloom or no-trade, it wont matter because at some point one had to be on a different server than another even if very briefly. Everything in your home will be yours at that points.
  10. Caela Well-Known Member

Thanks to the advice in this thread I finally managed to move my toon to the rent free house.

It wasn't too difficult, but a little time consuming - though I think it took me longer to write my blog post about the experience ;) - http://caelascorner.com/movin-on-up/

I'm a little embarrassed at the finished result - because I'm no decorator - I just stuff everything against the wall. So I'll spare you a picture in this thread ;)