How about some Non-combat Mercenaries?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Medro, Apr 20, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Medro Guest

All the mercenaries currently are combat oriented from tanks, scouts, healers, bards, etc but I can think of a tonn of non combat NPC chartacters I would love to hire and bring out into the field.

Harvesting Mercenary - helper that will auto harvest nearby nodes and put the materials in your bags
    Shiny Hunter Mercenary - a scout that will help you find shinies including shinies only this mercenary can see
    Writ Mercenary - A portable writ quest giver that saves time running back to the guild hall or camp
    Trinket Mercenary - A merchant that comes with you that you can sell stuff to keep your bags clear as well as buy basic stuff from
  2. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Medro wrote:
  3. ARCHIVED-Medro Guest

The idea here is to make life easier for players who have limited time.

Harvesting Mercenary will give rares as well unlike guild gatherer.
    Shiny Hunter Mercenary will run over to the shiny and put it in your bags unlike a gnomish rod.
    Walking back to a writ givers make it impossible for small time guilds to earn enough status to get and maintain the larger guild halls
    Just because you never run out of arrows in the field doesn't mean other people won't use this.
  4. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Medro wrote:
    1) if they didn't add rares to the guild harvesters they aren't going to add them to personal ones
    2) the whole point of shineys as they are now is a timesink, want the shineys, go look for them, use a rod or buy from the broker
    3) a guild hall isn't an enititlement, it is earned, any guild having trouble should try to recruit new members, furtherore making it easier would encourage "personal guilds" with single player alts as members.
    4) i do run out of arrows except i have a pretty decent quiver and could easily upgrade to a 32 slot one if i so wished. sometimes i just full an entire quiver full of handcrafted arrows and sometimes i just supplement my stockpile. even if your quiver is full nothing is stopping you from filling inventory slots with arrows.
    I feel sorry for you that you dont have as much time as the rest of us but what you suggest would simply mean less people in cities, less people running around in general, basically making servers look less populated then they are, more personal guilds and more people wanting things on a silver platter like they are entitlements.
  5. ARCHIVED-Medro Guest

1. Harvest Mercenary isn't a personal house ammenity. This is a mercenary that you pay for and bring it out into the field with you just like the combat mercenary. To say this mercenary shouldn't be able to get rares is like saying if you use a combat mercenary to kill a named you shouldn't be able to get an exquisit chest.
    2. Buying from the broker isn't an option unless you have hard core money.
    3. Meaningless time sinks and restrictions really don't make much sence these days. It very difficult to find players to recruit into leveling guilds. You assume I have over looked an easy path. When the normal paths are blocked it is time to look for other options.
    4. Everything is a tradeoff. Putting arrows in the inventory means less room for other stuff. And ultimate tradeoff is bringing a trinket merc means you don't get to use a combat mercanary.
    Your advice might have been the best years ago when the game was over flowing with players but today it is just a cruel joke. Sounds like the same arguments were used against the combat mercanaries how they would kill grouping and player interactions. Those things were in decline long before mercs came out and restricting them would not have reversed that decline. This is just the next logical step.
  6. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Medro wrote:
    Use the time you have as wisely as you can. because what you request will not transpire.
    i ask you what of the time OTHERS spent collecting, running to writ agents and the effort they put into it? you wish to devalue the time they spent merely because you are allotted less time to spend in the game?
    You have less time to spend, so it should be more apparent that it is more valuable. instead of complaining on the forums you could spent time playing the game. (and no the reverse isn't true i wont be able to login to the game for several hours at least)
  7. ARCHIVED-Medro Guest

Look I am not here to whine about problems. Whining is only if you don't bring a solution to the table. I am a solutions man, a problem solover so all this talk about how to just deal with inconvience won't work with me. It is easy to complain about everything and to say every new idea is bad but that is not going to help anyone. The solution here is non combat mercenaries which is just an expansion of an already established in game meme. If you don't have a solution then ultimately all your posting is for nothing because basically the overall theme of your replies is if players don't have enough time they have no business playing eq2.
    Not everyone has the time to waste 30+ hours a week playing a 'game' especially when half that time is useless down time consisting of auto running and looking at zoning screens because I had to run back to town every five minutes to refresh writs or empty my bags. You people who are in love with down time and time sinks that have nothing to do with the game other than to inconveince people are dinosaurs. Bottom line here is eq2 is a 'game' and ultimately a business for those who work for SoE. Why would SoE want to "weed out" anyone especialy those who went through the trouble of buying the AoD expansion. They should be looking to get more players and keep them, not chase them away. It really doesn't take much to keep people like me happy if they would throw us a bone every once in a while. Change will happen and people like you won't be able to hold it back forever.
  8. ARCHIVED-Iad Guest

Ignore general info, he made it quite clear with his first reply that he should be ignored. I personally think you have some good ideas, not all of us can play for hours a day, and I'm sure SoE enjoys our money regardless of how often we are able to play.
  9. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

General_Info wrote:
  10. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Medro wrote:
    I dont know about you but i dont have to empty my bags every five minutes, as for writs what are you going to complain next? that it takes more time to reach the broker then it does to search for the item you want to buy?
    Every game has downtimes between moving to quest/utlility npcs. I dare you to name ONE game where you can instantly port to any untility npc broker/shop/mender etc
    time is a commodity just like money the difference between people is which they value most.

I get the feeling you would have liked test center prime in SWG vendors handing out almost anything you'd like on a platter.
  11. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Medro wrote:
    How about a merc that logs in and plays the game for you so you dont have to?
  12. ARCHIVED-Raffir Guest

Harvest Merc?....it you have AOD and are using the tradeskill apprentices. One of the rewards it gives occasionally is a Bountiful Harvest Potion. Use that along with the Harvest cape aquired from the pack Pony Questline and the packhorse from the Butcherblock questline and you have pretty potent combo for searchin out rares.
    Raf
  13. ARCHIVED-sorie67 Guest

General_Info wrote:
    At this rate you might as well ask for an adventure mercenary that will play the game for you. No thanks leave something for players to do instead of being done for them.
  14. ARCHIVED-thorn Guest

I WANT an Adventure Merc that will play the game for me and raid and get phat loots and automate the whole thing so all i have to do is check it monthly to know my character has the best gear and well.. uber. When that gets old i want to sell the acct and start a new class and do it all over again cause otherwise this game is just too hard and i dont want to sit infront of the computer for 4 hours a night like the rest of those people out there.
  15. ARCHIVED-Potionman01 Guest

thorn wrote:
    Why did you choose to play Everquest than?
  16. ARCHIVED-Winter12345 Guest

Medro wrote:
    Honestly, I'm sick of people like you who constantly want to make the game easier for yourself. The only time EQ2 was fun was in its first few years, when there were NO 130% mounts, rares were extremely hard to get, dungeons required actual grouping, and questing was fun and tricky to get good awards...not like the bland and boring ones today that after one quest update, you already get a piece of armor or fabled peice of jewelery.

Ahh, old EQ2 :/ good times.
  17. ARCHIVED-Juravael Guest

thorn wrote:
    I know that the quoted post was made in sarcasm however sadly this is exactly what some people seem to be wanting. People want everything handed to them with zero effort or time invested and I just do not understand the reasoning behind it. I mean seriously why even bother playing the game? I see more and more of these type of posts/threads and I shake my head. This game is already way too easy even for the most casual of players. It's been being dumbed down for years now and it is just getting worse.
  18. ARCHIVED-Juravael Guest

Intercede@Nagafen wrote:
    I could not agree more.