"honk" if you like Dungeon Maker !

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by suka, Jul 9, 2014.

1. suka Well-Known Member

The devs want to know how many of us love dungeon maker and actually play it. they also want feedback on the type of content we like to play. personally, i love my themed dungeons more than anything else.

so come on guys- give them a "honk" and say you like dungeon maker!
  2. chantra Member

HONKKKKKK!!!!!
    I love dungeon maker and i love themed dungeons. i also like going to see other people's dungeons.
  3. jansen New Member

Count me in- I love dungeon maker - honk
  4. GIndotto Well-Known Member

I do not run the Dungeon Maker. From what I see on my server, 90% of the Dungeons listed are just "Mass farm Solo Token" this and that. I have a hard time finding something that's actually like a decorated house - real effort put into it and it's not about "super mega mass pull token grind" it's about some silly story of a lost ice cream cone or something.

While I understand people want a fast way to level toons (without paying SC), I find the XP farming going on through this DM system greatly diminishes and takes away from what I believe was at one point its original purpose. After all, originally you used to have to choose custom avatar to use! (Which btw I thought was awesome! I'm a robot! Commencing purge!)

If anyone has any cool, REAL, dungeons with some sort of point besides "10 plat per run DM PLs" feel free to send me a tell on AB I'd love to check them out and vote them up!
    Mermut and Wirewhisker like this.
  5. suka Well-Known Member

well, if they set up the ability to tour them the way they said they will, then you will be able to come to butcherblock and see mine. and if you want, you can send fyuri or aerfren or loati a tell and they can let you tour my dungeons by putting you in as a trustee and letting you edit them - they are published so you won't be able to change anything but you will get to see them. yes, most of mine are themed. my hardest ones get an average of 30k - 50k xp and over 100 tokens (that was before they gave a boost for membership). so make a toon on butcherblock and send me a tell and i will be glad to show you around.

oh and like the game, it is all in what you make it. you can still choose to use an avatar.
  6. Jrel Well-Known Member

I'd like it more if I could do a proper "search" for a title or author. Instead, I have to click through numerous pages trying to find my faves.
    suka likes this.
  7. suka Well-Known Member

they said they wanted to address several things about dungeon maker. but they also said they wouldn't do it unless we could show enough support for it. they need all of people's feedback as well as a show of support for the dungeon maker itself.
  8. Malleria Well-Known Member

Heh, ironic that we have to show support to get support for a feature that they never supported properly thus causing a lack of player support. :rolleyes:

If they made a real dungeon maker, not the half-***** thing we have now, I'd be really interested. The foundry in Neverwinter was really impressive. A bunch of mobs standing around in a decorated house? Not so much.
    Feldon likes this.
  9. Awkk Well-Known Member

As a new player with lots of toons, I really appreciate being able to PL some of them.

To those veteran players who leveled up over the years with the game, and who don't have to try to cram 10 years of content into a couple of months, and who always seem to be the ones complaining about what should not be allowed, I have a suggestion. Why don't you delete all your accounts and start over. Then you can see what we new players are up against.

Recently, someone in chat claimed that anyone should be able to quest from 0 to 95 in a week or less. Sure. Like to see them try. Difficulty, you have never seen the zones or quests before, it's all new, and it includes grinding up all the crafters, all the factions, all the crafting gear, all the currencies, finding all the shiny collections, making all new gear for each toon at every 10 levels, learning and making all the adornments you will need on them, leveling transmuting to get the parts to make them, learning to use ACT and checking your progress along the way, leveling tinkering, collecting enough harvests for all of this, and leveling up a guild, and grinding the status to pay for it. Oh, and you have to do all of this solo, because nearly all the groups are endgame. And maybe you would like to take some time off to enjoy the fun holiday events along the way.

So maybe the long term, veteran players could give that a thought, instead of complaining when newer players get a helping hand from time to time. And thanks, Sony and the devs, for a fun game. :)
  10. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Please keep the dungeon maker as is. It's not OP'd as far as leveling (still better to use heroic and shared dungeons for that) but it works great for grinding out those AAs once you get to 95. I just wish we could use it to level green adorns haha.
  11. Ucala Well-Known Member

Dungeon maker is nice to PL my alts I guess
  12. suka Well-Known Member

i agree that veteran players are usually the ones who don't like to see changes. however, if you are trying to zoom through 10 years of content in a couple of months to get to end game, you are going to miss out on a whole lot of journey. it took me almost 2 years to level my first toon. and i still missed out on a lot of zones that she is now mentoring down to go do. I don't use the dungeon maker for power leveling.

when i first started playing the flying mounts were astronomical. i got her to 85 in crafting and started running the dungeons because there was a dungeon maker flying mount for 500 marks. back then you didn't get double marks for being a member. I quickly learned that some dungeons were meant as farms. to me they were boring and i got tired of dying everytime i took a step forward. the pathing was terrible.

i got desperate and thought " i can make one that is better than this". so i did. my first few yielded almost no marks. and when i started i didn't have mercs. not easy to do dungeons without mercs or help. when i got my mercs, things changed. the dungeons got easier to do. my dungeons began to group mobs and i began to make marks. i bought my mount, then i spent the rest on spawners and effects. i soon had all of the bosses and most of the elites. i also began to do content in the game specifically for some of the boss spawner drops.

and i began to create themed dungeons and dungeons with little after-quests and missions built in.

the dungeons made the game more interesting for me and i found myself pushing toward the next level to get that next boss spawner. yeah i missed out on a lot but the dungeon maker opened new doors for me and made me explore zones i probably would have skipped on my way to the top.

i got my second level 95 and my third one just a few months ago. they took around 3 years to level up. they were flying long before, on dungeon maker Pegasuses, because of their tradeskilling.

we did learn, in our guild where a lot of people spent time to do dungeons, and create them, that learning how to path your mobs is important. dungeon maker has some flaws that interfere with pathing. mobs can come through the walls at you. also it is important to decide just how your dungeon will be played. if you are creating for the solo player, with no merc, you will need to keep the dungeon simple and put in "solo" in your title so that groups or people with mercs won't get disappointed.

if you are creating for someone who is in there with just a merc you can make it pretty hard and still be enjoyable. but if you are creating for a full group, it needs to be simpler. that's because the toughness goes up for each player who is in there. we died a lot in medium level dungeons when there were like 4 of us and two mercs. the tougher the dungeon, the longer it takes to kill mobs and the more people die. you don't get xp if you are dead and your group kills off the mobs.

i especially like how i can group with a level 30 and take them through with their merc. the dungeon accommodates both levels quite well.

still, i don't exclusively play dungeon maker. i play it because i enjoy it. i can create dungeons that cater to my playstyle. playstyles vary depending on which toon i am playing. on my wizard i learned that i like to go blazing through, nuking everything. this sometimes doesn't work because i end up bringing the whole room down on me. dungeon maker made me step back and consider strategy and skill.

on my ranger, she can one shot everything and use miracle shot to even get the mob around the corner. I learned how to max her skills and what they can and won't do in dungeon maker. the reason this was important was because i could control the environment and therefore i could test different theories and strategies in a way i would not have been able to do in the world. It definitely affected my playstyle and changed my view on what a ranger could do or not do.

on my warden i learned about how effective her heals were, what combination of heals to use in what situations, and that she could indeed continue to fight and survive if her merc died. learning so much about my toons and what i could expect from them gave me a lot more confidence in the game. it changed my basic playstyles and taught me that nothing is impossible- even if i am outnumbered. it's all about using strategy and knowing what your toon can and can't do. I play totally differently now.

i even took what i learned from eq2 back to eq1. my toons there are now a bit hardier and can handle a bit more because i used the same strategies for understanding them better that i had learned in dungeon maker. as such, the dungeon maker has been very beneficial to me. I use it as a learning tool - not a powerleveling tool - although it is great for that too.
    Torgrin likes this.
  13. Zizio New Member

Greetings
    I am excited the the Dungeon Maker is fixed. I have a couple of requests though.
    1. Put a Search option in. It gets very frustrating trying to find certain dungeons, and scroll through 800 or more at times.
    2. Put a Play button in the My Dungeon section so that I can play my own dungeons without having to try and find them in the list.
    3. Add to the number of dungeons that one account can have published.

I do both decorating of dungeons and Power Leveling ones on both Freeport and Antonia Bayle servers. I feel that each person can play the game the way that they wish to play. If you do not want to Power Level you do not have to, but not to judge those that do. I am one to sell Power Leveling in the General chat because the economy of this game has shot through the roof, gone haywire. I can not afford my 26 toons.

I have also made several decorated dungeons, promoting them as a guildhall community effort, several with just friends, and also alone. Due to the restricted amount of dungeons I can have published on my one account, many sit unpublished.

Thank you Sony... I am addicted to your game.
    Zizio of AB
    Zoxi
    Zaryaa
    Zacardi
    and many more
    suka likes this.
  14. Feldon Well-Known Member

The fact that this is what most people use Dungeon Maker for shows that the feature did not accomplish any of its stated goals.

This. Dungeon Maker never gave players the tools to make a dungeon. We cannot group mobs. We cannot pick and choose spells, buffs, or triggered behaviors on mobs. We cannot put in switches, keys, or other things that activate or drop. When you place a mob in Dungeon Maker, you should be able to right-click on that mob and have a whole tree of properties that you can assign to make that enemy do different things.

I pose this question to the reader: Think about some of your favorite or interesting zones. What tools/settings would we need to recreate those zones? Right now, Dungeon Maker does not allow a player to recreate even the simplest EQ2 zone.

I posted some suggestions 18 months ago.
    Naudi, suka and Mermut like this.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

i
    is that per account or per toon? i will have to test that one out but i do know i have more than 20 on one account- just not all by the same toon. i only have 9 published by one toon so i will have to put in a few more to test out whether i can have 10 per toon published.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

on the last insider, the devs said they were going to address the issues with dungeon maker but they would only do so if enough of us liked it and would play it. that is the reason for this thread. to show the devs that we want it fixed and we want to play it. they already know what is wrong with it. they do want feedback though

what this thread is not about is a rant against dungeon maker. Honk if you are here to show support for dungeon maker and if you want the devs to put time into fixing it and working on it.
  17. petier Active Member

I like making dungeons more than running them. I haven't made a new one in a very long time due to lack of tools and items to make them fun and no new stuff coming out to use in the dungeons. I wish I could put old loot or some other type of rare reward to make running them worthwhile after you are max lvl/aa. There needs to be some kind of reward that will keep players coming back. Temp adorns, fluff stuff anything, but no new items have been put in for so long that is has stopped being fun. I can't use the ideas I have due to restrictions on what I can use in the current system.

Oh and to Ginn, on AB the #1 dungeon has been a content/decoration one for well over two years and has 400 more likes than the second place and double the likes of third place. It is not a exp grind as it will only give you 200 tokens. That said the rest of the top 10 are all farms. :(

Oh and one more thing, I have been to Fan Fair the last few times and always ask about Dungeon Maker, the first time there was some back and fourth and I thought something would come of it, but this last time there was a flat out "No we are doing nothing with dungeon maker". So I will keep my fingers crossed that something comes of it this time.
    suka likes this.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

This hits the nail on the head for me. When they intitally started talking about Dungeon Maker I was very excited and interested. I was very active in Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights ages ago and was looking forward to the ability to being able to get that joy of creation I had doing that in EQ2. When it came out I was extremely disappointed. Rather then a tool to let us create interesting and engaging content, it turned out to be a tool for decorating a preset area and mindlessly grinding mobs.
    Even on the decorating side, it's a bit squirrely. Items don't stay permanently 'painted', even once they've painted in the dungeon for you. Move away and come back, and they have to repaint. Players are blocked (sight and movement) by placed walls, floors, etc, but mobs are not.
    Great idea, failed execution.
    Naudi, suka and Feldon like this.
  19. Feldon Well-Known Member

That is not my interpretation of Holly's comments. I think she said something along the lines that they know it's broken, but they're *not* sure what exactly to do with it and that they'd be looking closer into it in Spring of next year.

I'm all for rooting for a feature and drumming up interest, but Dungeon Maker is a chicken-and-egg situation. People don't use Dungeon Maker because it's extremely limited. It's gotten no dev attention because nobody uses it.

If Dungeon Maker gave us some powerful tools, it might be really popular (just look at how crazy people are going in Landmark creating entire towns, dungeons, castles, etc. that are of a professional quality) or it might just sit there. If it's just going to get more decorations, more dungeon layouts, more spawners, but little code support, then I don't think we'll see much of an increase in popularity.
    Torgrin, suka and Mermut like this.
  20. suka Well-Known Member

sorry, feldon, my comment was not aimed at you or anyone in particular. hopefully to prevent the thread from becoming a rant. and you are right. actually i went to the foundry site and found it very interesting. I wish they would do something similar with dungeonmaker.

and during the session, it was mentioned that they did not want to do anything to dungeon maker if there was not enough support for it among the player base.