Help for relatively new SK

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Shontzu, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Shontzu New Member

I'm not a very experienced player. I've leveled my SK to 95 and learnt a fair bit along the way, but have never done a group dungeon, or really learnt about stats. I've mostly just worn the gear I got as I went. I want to start tanking some heroics, so have spent some time getting cryptic gear and trying to upgrade. I've read what I could, but I'm unsure how much is current, and even what I understood I still wasn't too sure about priorities/etc.

Could folks just have a look at my guy on EQ2U and see if anything stands out as being particularly wrong, or if I've prioritized something when I should have focused on something else? I've tried to go with enough tanky gear to get my defensive stats up, while still having enough offence to do some damage, and make AS runs bearable insofar as how long it takes to kill things. For now I just want to be able to tank the easier heroics while I start getting some gear from them to upgrade further. So I guess also if people have any advice on where to go in the future as I gear towards harder heroics?

I probably won't raid. Times just don't suit. I mostly just want to be a decent heroic dungeon tank and have some fun.

I've kind of assumed that once I hit the caps for stuff, then its a combination of potency and CB that I should try to boost up after that? I didn't really get to at this point (unless I should have instead of some other things I boosted), but as I get better gear is that the plan? Anything I have that should be boosted more first?

http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/515398340742

Oh, and green adorns. I'm just not sure what I should use. I bought these tranquil ones, because I figure I can always use those stats and adjust elsewhere. I've checked other tanks, but they're pretty geared up raid tanks and what they're wearing I either can't get or can't afford, so if there's other ones I should try to get instead, please let me know.
  2. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Just a two second glance over your profile: I'd work on replacing the rings, bracelets. There is better stuff out there for tanks. :)
    Go check the market for 95 level jewelry and compare it to what you have.
  3. Azian Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out why your health is so low, it shows 85k to me. Even with your entry gear it should be several hundred thousand higher than that. Display bug for me? Your gear is very typical of a relatively fresh 95. It's all a work in progress. At a glance, it looks to me like you may have found Darkon's post for AAs. (that's good.)

The 2 best options for green gems for a heroic/solo tank in my opinion would be either Aerakyn Guardian Stones or Pickclaw Trickster's Gemstones. I started with the Guardian stones as they have defensive tankish stats but in hindsight think I should have gone Pickclaw and have been swapping lately for their melee stats.

Edit to add: Remember to choose the rest of your class focus skills. Pretty much everything in the bottom two rows are solid.
  4. Shontzu New Member

Oops, I logged out last night mentored to 65 in PoA, trying to raise my transmute skill up.I'd say thats why the health is showing low. Yes, I copied Darkon's AAs with the changes he suggested (str line instead of int). Thanks for answering about green gems, I'll try to chase them up.
  5. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

You're on AB, right? I can make those green pickclaw gems and am on your server. If you need help getting them, pm me here on the board.

Ava
  6. Shontzu New Member

Thanks, I grabbed the recipe off the broker and made them :).
  7. Regolas Well-Known Member

Mitigation is your friend for heroics. When your temps aren't up you're going to get hit hard with under 10k mit.

I'd aim for 14k+

And reforge your recovery speed. It makes at 100 roughly 1/4 of a second to use your abilities quicker (base is 0.5s). Converting that stat to others so you can wear more Mitigation armor is a good thing.

Unfortunately for tanks, you have to start at the bottom and get the arcane gear first, that will help you tank the harder heroics easier to get the potent gear, unless you have an alt to get you the gear. Tanks can't really be carried, unless you have an understanding group who can bring two healers for the harder zones, or someone else tanks.
  8. Shontzu New Member

Yeah, thanks. Thats why I wanted to work with as good a base as I could to start with the heroics. Some folks said not to bother with cryptic gear, but I figured since I'll be learning the fights (heroic versions) and just EQ2 tanking in general at the same time, I should at least have my gear relatively ready and ease my way into it. No alt, I do have a coercer at 95, but have less idea how to play it.

Righto, I'll look to move some recovery speed into mitigation for a start. I wasn't sure what amount I should be aiming that for.
  9. Regolas Well-Known Member

You can't reforge into mitigation unfortunately.

What you can do though is reforge recovery into dps mod, attack speed, multiattack, etc to allow you to swap out some of your "dps" armor for mitigation pieces and not loose much.

You have quite high AE auto, which is nice, but personally I believe it's a luxury rather than necessity for an SK. You have so many AE abilities that holding aggro shouldn't be an issue. I personally have reforged that out where I can when wearing full mitigation gear to get dps mod, etc up.

Here is my SK

http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/446679620709

He's not brilliant as he's actually my second tank on the account so doesn't get gear priority, but he's ok. This kind of gear, with maybe a few improvements to one earing and wrist item, and he's more than capable of tanking Dom, the super hard heroicx2 dungeon. I only haven't tried because like I said, he's my second tank.
    jordash likes this.