Heirophant Obfuscation AA

Discussion in 'Warden' started by ARCHIVED-Jaremai, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Jaremai Guest

Druid tree, wisdom line, Heirophant Obfuscation.
    "Has a X chance to absorb a level Y effect. Applies to Profession and NPC racial spells only."
    At first reading, it's a spell absorption. Haha your nuke didn't do anything to me. But then there's the second sentence and understanding flies off a cliff. What does "Profession and NPC racial spells only" mean?
    I specced this as part of my little BG warden, but if it's not behaving the way I expect, I'll shift those points elsewhere.
    I asked around, even did a search - failed to find knowledge.
  2. ARCHIVED-bayoudawn Guest

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    Lot of description of spells aren't word clearly at all, to veterans it might be something they learnt from past experiences but for people that are not familiar with the game, more concise wording is needed for lot of the spells espeically AA abilities.
  3. ARCHIVED-Jaremai Guest

Most things I can figure out (and I'm a vet), but this one I simply can't. "Profession and NPC racial spells" just has no real basis in-game.
    Maybe I'll put in a /petition and see what their form letter response is, since nobody's reading this thread that knows the answer.
  4. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

I did some searching on it , and the best awnser I could find (multiple web sites) could be found here ... http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=366605
    Under Druid it says
    Wisdom 4 - Hierophant Obfuscation: Instead of hate reduction, it reduces the chance that any hostile spell lands on the Hierophant by 1.5% per rank.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As to why it mentions NPC racial spells only ... Im guessing that they didnt want it working on all hostile spells from raid mobs.
    For PvP , I imagine this can be pretty good stacked with the reflect granted from the pvp jewlery .... that is as long as the reflect checks first , then the absorb second.
  5. ARCHIVED-bayoudawn Guest

NolaDragon wrote:
    From the patch note it's pretty straight forward...it act as a simple check with percentage to avoid hostile spells.
    But in game it says "Profession and NPC racial spells" I just recently came back to EQ2 and I have no idea what constitute profession and NPC Racial spells? Any idea, hint, example?
  6. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

bayoudawn wrote:
    Well another word for profession in this game is subclass (anyone of the 24) Not sure if they are saying that spells common between 2 classes, like fury and Warden = druid are not covered in this ( but since the patch notes says All hostile spells) Your guess is as good as mine. Or spells common to one of the 4 classes , for example our new wrath spell might not be covered in this. But as far as PvP I think your safe to assume near 90% of hostile spells used on you are going to check against this ability.
    Now as far as PvE ... that line about NPC racial only spells (considering how Ive seen sony word stuff) is put in to read separately from the profession(pvp) ... and specifically stateing it Because of hard hitting raid mobs (they dont want you to have a chance at outright absorbing all hostile spells from them) How many profession and how many racial spells npc mobs have ... is purely speculation. And I'd guess that a racial spell is going to be weaker anyhow. So it was meant more for pvp imo.
    Now this is purely my logic on it considering my past experience and what little information I could find on it. But Im guessing its as simple as it states in the patch notes. Then were left with the extra explanation about NPC's in the spell description.
    I would also hope it doesnt work like a resist ... being that the caster gets their reuse back quicker. If it did ... better to just give us more overall resists.
    Edit to add , cuz I didnt mention .... A racial spell is something specific to that race .... Im not sure if they took out all the specific hostile racial spells , but awhile ago , we used to have hostile abilites specific to the race we picked. And Im sure NPC mobs still carry them. But they will pretty much never be as powerful as a spell specific to a class ... Wizard,Warlock, Illusionist ... etc
  7. ARCHIVED-bayoudawn Guest

Suffice to say I'll not be picking this AA =) Partly because it didn't look so appealing from your explantion, but for the most part I still don't get it =( Things like this remind me of how some of my friend complain how EQ2 is hard to get into it.......
    Btw you did a very good job helping me understand the profession and racial part =)
  8. ARCHIVED-Gladiolus Guest

Jaremai@Guk wrote:
    This is exactly the kind of thing that should be in the knowledge base. You can spend hours on the net searching for answers but in the end all you find are opinions of other players. Can you imagine going to, say, an electronics shop, because you need to know something about an appliance you bought, and being herded into a room with other customers so you can ask each other? That's exactly what the forum does. We can guess at what things are and how they work but only Sony really knows, so the Knowledge Base (not the "manual" that tells you about sub-combines, etc.) should have this type of information.
  9. ARCHIVED-Tigress Guest

NolaDragon wrote:
    humans & barbarians still hve them. i didnt realize that all classes had them before. bummer that they took them away.

thanks for the explanations. not sure that i understand it better but at least i'm not alone. i have that for my fury. i cant remember off hand how much i put in there but it wasnt much. i wanted rebirth so i put in only what was necessary (if i remember correctly).
  10. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

Gladiolus wrote:
    Well actually Ive been there on trying to find the knowledge for Electronics ... and others oppinion are usually where you find the awnser.
    I think as far as sony's oppinion ... it is as simple as what the patch notes state. maybe it does work on all hostile spells ... pvp ... I think you are all getting hung up on the NPC racial spell only. when it doesnt have much effect on the game unless in a raid mob situation. Hence the NPC racial only clause.
    But like others have stated before ... this ability is nothin to write home about.
    I see that it could be nice stacked with the reflect on pvp gear. Someone casts hostile spell on you , the game checks for reflect .. if none then it checks again for absorb. My only worry was , when a spell is absorbed ... it doesnt act like a resist and give the caster that spell back for casting it again right away.
    An absorb should trigger the reuse timer.
    Added edit: sufice to say ... trash mobs only have racial spells/abilities ... except those freakin healers .... kill the healer
    Oh wait those are mostly benefical spells ... IDK Hmm had a thought ... I'd say its a safe bet your heirophant Obfusication is not going to work on any hostile spell cast by a NPC healer.
  11. ARCHIVED-Sinaya Guest

As far as I can tell, when it triggers in PVP (Or at least in Battlegrounds) the combat bubble return is a 'Reflect'. The combat log gives the 'failed to inflict any damage' message when someone tries to hit you with a hostile spell and it triggers.
    I have not seen it trigger in PVE, but wasn't really looking for it while I had it. I'm not sure if it's actually absorbing or reflecting spells, what kind of spells it interacts with, or what other kinds of limitations it has. I don't use the AA anymore due to the lack of clarity about how it works, and because the other Druid Tree lines are more desireable on whole.
    Edit: Typo