% Heal Crit vs. +Heal Amount vs. Cast/Recast Reduction

Discussion in 'Warden' started by ARCHIVED-Klonkk, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Klonkk Guest

Hey my fellow wardens!
    If there is already a thread clarifying all this, please point me to it, couldn´t find any usable answers using the search...
    I was looking for a way to compare how much benefit we would gain from the different ways to enhance our healing via items.
    To compare the actual HPS values of Healmod and Timer-Reduces I started with following formula:
    HealValue + HealMod / [(Casttime- %CasttimeReduce)+(Recast-%RecastReduce)]
    So, just for examples since I don´t know the base healvalues by heart (i´m at the office right now " width="15" height="15"> ) I went with a simple number for our bigger target heal:
    Healvalue: 1000; Casttime 1.5 seconds; Recast: 10 seconds
    This heal, on base values would calculate to 86.96 hp/s: 1000 / (1.5+10) = 86,96
    Now I added different values to get an overview:
    • +50 Healmod: 1000+50 / (1.5+10) = 91,30
    • -5% Casttime: 1000 / [(1.5-1.5*5%)+10] = 87.53
    • -5% Recast: 1000 / [1.5+(10-10*5%)] = 90.91
    Obviously, the higher the values for cast/recast are the higher the impact of modifiers will be.
    So, unless you are already at the cap an increase of heal-amount seems to be the most efficient way to enhance our healing.
    Taken my +700 HP (thats still not capped on single target heals):
    1000+700 / (1.5+10)= 147.83
    To reach that value one would need 47% Recast Reduce. The casttime couldn´t even be lowered enough to reach this value, even if it would be set to 0 (instacast) you´d still need another 32% Recast to reach the raw HP output that could be achieved with some +HealAmount items.
    However, I do not know how to calculate the gain of healcrits since i don´t know they work (well ... how a crit will increase the healamount) ...
    Anyone can help me there to find out how crits affect our HPS?
  2. ARCHIVED-Teircen Guest

I'm afraid I can't really speak to heal crits but I think I can add one other point to benefits of +heal amount as a benefit.
    First, I'll say I'm not 100% positive on this part but a little research on heals discussed by others seemed to indicate that +heal amount for Heals over Time isn't spread across the HoT but rather added in on the first tick. So if you have +300 heal amount, that's potentially up to +300 burst heal on a single target heal over time when it first lands. Since we're particularly weak on burst damage but great on mana efficiency and group healing that added boost up front is particularly useful for us. Given a choice, I always opt for +heal amount.
    I've also read where the cap is 50% of the heal amount done. I'm not sure if that means for full amount healed over time or the initial burst.
    Finally, another thing to bear in mind is our group heals. Group effects seem to be calculated with (+heal amount / 3) applied to each person. So in a group of 2 people it's an effective loss on the bonus. At a group of 3 people you break even compared to HoTs. At a group of 4-6 people you're actually seeing additional benefit to the bonus to heal.
    So lets say it's +90 heal amount.
    Single HoT you'd get +90 on the first tick.
    Group HoT you'd get +30 on the first tick for each person (90 / 3)
    Again, these numbers are based on reading through research other people have done and I haven't verified it myself. If I'm incorrect someone do please speak up as I don't want to spread misinformation but I do think these are accurate. It's a little less tangible then numbers and calculations but just gaining a better burst heal up front helps in groups at least and seems to have made a difference plenty often.
  3. ARCHIVED-Klonkk Guest

Teircen wrote:
    Yer, I wasn´t yet done with thinking about HoTs when I hit the crit-thought :D Since I´m still at work I just hit submit to get some feedback to start with ;)
  4. ARCHIVED-tom1301 Guest

As far as i have experienced, a critical heal simply adds 30% to the usual amount, not 30% to the maximum of the range. So if a heal has 300-600, a critical will heal for somewhere in 390-780, not exactly 780.
    To continue the OP's example, a bonus of 1% healcrit will gain 30% of 1%, so 0,3% of the original value, that means the OP's example would be increased from 86,96 to 87,22.
    To be equivalent with the +50 heal amount one would need (91,30/86,96) (= 5% increase) / 0,3 = 16 % healcrit bonus (!)

This confirms my opinion that heal crits are way overrated.
    On the other hand, it depends on what spell you consider. The Chlorostorm has far more advantage of healcrits than the small single person heal (forgot the name):
    Fierce Chlorostorm (Master I) at Level 70 does 449-548 for 10 seconds every 2 seconds, so 6 times altogether; an average of 500 * 6 * 6 = 18.000 (assuming a full group); that's 18.000/10s = 1800 hps.
    1% healcrit will make it 1806 hps.
    +50 heal amount will make it (500 + 50/3) * 6 + 500 * 5 *6 = 18.100/10s = 1810 hps.
    That makes +3% healcrit roughly equivalent (a little worse) to +50 heal amount.

But outside of theory most of the 1800 hps will not occur, since its wasted or you don't even have a full group. You almost always will gain more of the +heal amount on the initial tick (as has been said before concerning the problems wardens have with burst damage).

+ heal amount FTW!

edit: Oh, i forgot about one more aspect on this matter: The +heal amount is reliable; that means you *know* that your next healing spell will have the bonus. The + healcrit means that it is more likely that your next heal will get the bonus. I prefer reliability. Can make the Difference between a dead Tank and a living one.

one more edit: Concerning reduced recast timers, you have to remember that this means that you will cast the spell more often within a given time instead of been given a bonus to a cast spell. That means you will consume more mana with reduced recast timers, which not applies to bonuses added (+heal amount, +heal crit).
    Concerning casting timers, it has nearly no impact on hps, but gives the opportunity to heal quicker in a dangerous situation (MT is red ...), which quickly makes the difference between a wiped raid and a dead Epic.
  5. ARCHIVED-Skivley101 Guest

One thing im wondering though .... Is does the +heal bonus effect your critical heal? ... sort of a X factor
    Unlike the critical heal not effecting your +heal bonus in anyway that i can see of.
  6. ARCHIVED-gitano Guest

Teircen wrote:
    Yes the cap its 50%, its similar cap vs +spell damage and +CA damage, but the cap apply to the base numbers, to min and max.

For example

a spell who Heals for 1000-2000 HP
    the max +heals counted in would be 500 for the min value and 1000 for the max value.

For our regens only apply for the initial tick, yeah the "usual" wasted one if u heal pre-damage hit

And for group heals the + heal only adds 1/3

PS: if i am wrong please someone correct me.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kinvalar Abolesco Guest

Our regen heals cap seem to cap out at +50% of total spell value, w/ our primary HoT capping somewhere ridiculously high around 2k +healing.

In the thread at
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=398857
    tested using enough +healing to cap out a low spell to see where it was capping.