Hard cap on Reuse and Casting Speed %?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Azerack, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Azerack New Member

Ever since they added a need for increased Crit chance in the last expansion, I've been also upping my Casting speed and Reuse speed percentages in hopes that I would be able to get those abilities and spells out and ready to use again asap.
    I've seen some (quite) old posts and remarks about caps on reuse and casting speed (where casting speed after 100% goes towards doublecast) but wondered if there is any change.
    Are my toons losing other more useful stats if I go over a certain percentage for either Reuse or Casting Speed at this point?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Both are functionally capped at 100%.

Casting Speed over 100% converts (at a relatively poor conversion rate) to DoubleCast.

Reuse Speed over 100% is simply wasted.
    Azerack likes this.
  3. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

If you are a primary caster, the conversion for overcapped casting speed is reasonably good until 400 or so, probably better than investing heavily in spell autoattack stats. That being said, you're almost always better served reach as many softcaps as you can before overcapping anything significantly.
    Azerack likes this.
  4. Azerack New Member

Thanks for the confirmation(s)! Also good to know about the cap on Casting Speed's. Doublecast overflow.

Much appreciated. :cool:
  5. Kalika Well-Known Member

You should may be check you recovery.

I think it caps at 70%, recovery is the little time after casting a spell during which you cannot do anything.
    Azerack likes this.
  6. Endymion Developer

Just an FYI, if you hover over your casting speed or spell doublecast, the tooltip will tell you how much spell doublecast you're receiving from the casting speed overcap conversion. This goes for most other stats that have overcap conversions, as well.
    Shmogre and Loredena like this.
  7. Livejazz Well-Known Member

With all this in mind, why do so many of the 98-100 crafted & MC jewelry pieces have large amounts of Reuse & Recovery that can't be reforged & is likely wasted on a player of that level?
    Hijinx and Azerack like this.
  8. Azerack New Member

Unfortunately it DOESN'T do that for the ones that DO and that was the problem. o_O

It's nice to point out the obvious and sorry if I'm ragging on your post, (seeing as I wasn't expecting one from an actual SOE Employee) but non-developers don't know everything about the game so they go looking. If a percentage keeps going up (like Crit Chance, that also doesn't have a tooltip, but does require a HUGE increase at the start of Tears of Veeshan past 500%) one would could logically think that means you are getting some benefit out of it.

Just saying, the info from Ynnek, The_Cheeseman and Kalika is what I needed and if you noticed I asked if I was losing benefit over a "certain percentage" not at a percentage. It felt like you were giving me/us a "customer care TL:DR response" instead of some useful information and I've had enough of that from SOE CC (long stories) in the 11 years I've played. :)

I know, no good deed goes unpunished, right? Sorry. :rolleyes:
  9. Tyman Active Member

10. Azerack New Member

Thanks for adding that, Tyman.. Looked at that, too. Also, this from the EQ2 wikia on Caps... But that data (as well as the wikia) was over a year old, so I wanted to see if anything had changed (especially since the crazy Crit Chance requirements suddenly needed for instances in ToV). :)
  11. Endymion Developer

I am a bit confused by this and your previous post. Regarding crit chance, the tooltip for that does indeed reflect its benefits past 100%, though that information was not added till sometime after ToV. Specifically, the tooltip had a note stating that critical chance was contested by critical avoidance; admittedly, that can be considered not intuitive, but we don't want to get too wordy. It's also worth noting that with Altar of Malice, the concept of critical avoidance was removed, and the tooltip for critical chance was once again updated to reflect its current benefits, that being that additional crit chance over the cap provides a chance for one of the bonus critical types to occur, though it does not provide the exact %s.

Edit: Just to clarify, though critical avoidance was removed in Altar of Malice, it actually applies to all dungeons. That is to say, you no longer need 500% (or however much) crit chance for ToV dungeons.
  12. ruthless619 Member

LOL spell double cast conversion is crap after 200% so your "400" is quite frankly bs... please don't give people misinformation
  13. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I'm not weighing in for either side in this discussion, but is it safe to assume that both of you have performed actual research (i.e. increasing the SDCC percentage gradually and recording how this affects your parse) to support your assertions? If so, would you mind posting the results of that research, so that the rest of us can see the data from which you are drawing your conclusions?
  14. konofo Active Member

The return per point within the 100-200% range is twice that of the 200-800% range.

kono
  15. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

I apologize, I was thinking of the haste->flurry conversion, which remains fairly good up to 400-ish. I appreciate you pointing out my mistake in such a respectful manner.
    Laiina likes this.