Happy Birthday, EverQuest II!

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

Huzzah and yippee-ki-ay! We're seven!
    The EverQuest franchise is near and dear to our hearts here at SOE and we really appreciate all of you that have also grown to love Norrath over the years.
    As a small token of our appreciation, and to tie in with the "Freeport Reborn" game update coming up soon, there is a zero cost item in the marketplace for you. It's a statue of Lucan D'Lere suitable for your home (and it's a twin for the Antonia one coming out next summer when we do the Qeynos revamp). For a limited time, we're giving it away free of charge, so get it while the gettin's good!
    Additionally, the new "eight-year" veteran reward is now available also, so those of you that have been with us the longest will start earning those rewards as you hit your own eight-year mark. *
    The new eight-year veteran reward contains the following items:
    • "Veteran Revival" : A spell that allows you to rez your group once a day. It is not usable while dead.
    • You choice of an elemental hover disc mount (flyable if you are 85 or above, ground mount otherwise).
    • "Vision of the Thulosian" : A green particle effect on your eyes, like the Thulosians have in the Moors of Ykesha.
    • Six XP potions (+110% xp, 1-hour duration (go alts go!)
    • A new title: "The Veteran"
    So, Happy Birthday everyone! We'll keep working hard on the game, and you...well...you just relax and enjoy, please.
    (There's lots of announcements coming your way soon that have nothing to do with our birthday. Stay tuned!)
    -- SJ.

* Even though we're seven, it's possible to hit the eight-year vet mark if you got the bonus time we offered in a previous collector's edition from years past. That's why it's possible to have an eight-year veteran reward on a seven-year old game.
  2. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

The group rez ("Veteran's Revival") is working as intended. This item cannot be used while dead. It would be far too unbalancing in Raid situations.
  3. ARCHIVED-Shaolin Sam Guest

Once every 24 hours is unbalancing? Wow. LOL :)
  4. ARCHIVED-Greenmist Guest

Well then thank Karana it wasn't going to be once per hour!
  5. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    If it is an out of combat use only and once every 24 hours would it really be that unbalancing?
    The fact DoV gear has increased top end dps in raid on average by a factor of 3-4 from SF gear at same level is a wee bit more concerning to me when considering balance.
  6. ARCHIVED-Myrrik Guest

Wow
    First off - Congrats on EQ2 having made it as far and as long as it did. (Seeing as no-one actually commented on this)

Secondly - Seriously folks... the Devs give everyone a "Thank you" reward for sticking it with the game for its life and all everyone can do is dog-pile and criticise that the reward was "not good enough"

Lets face it - The Veteran rewards are a thank you gift, not intended to be some earth-shattering change to Raid Dynamics and - in my opinion - we should be thanfull we get anything at all.
    All this moaning just makes me lose more faith in humanity quite frankly.

Anyways - Congrats Smoke on reaching another milestone!
  7. ARCHIVED-Mistymorn Guest

Happy Birthday and congratulations to Soe employees. I have enjoyed both EQ1 and Eq2 since 2003 when my son gave me my first computer game EQ1. I have formed so many friendships which endure beyond the game, and have been entertained for countless hours in the game. I have tried many other games and always return home to Norrath. EQ is the best and I hope your here for many more years.
  8. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

Happy 7th! It's true, there are many games out there, but there are features in EQ2 that no other game has managed to touch, and that is what got me back here. Hope you live long and prosper along with the player base.
  9. ARCHIVED-Quinterra Guest

YAY!! Happy birthday! :D *even if a tad bit late!* Thank you to all the Devs and everyone at SOE to make this game awesome! :)
  10. ARCHIVED-biguglyone Guest

Congratz on the 7th! I agree that the veteran revival isnt all that but they cant all be winners. However elemental hover discs and the thulosian vision rewards are really awsome!
  11. ARCHIVED-Charmeine Guest

So to determine exactly when you reach the 8year mark you multiply 8 x 365 days?
  12. ARCHIVED-Crawdadrm Guest

Yes thank you for the game and the vet rewards you did NOT have to give. Dont listen to the haters. Haters going too hate.
  13. ARCHIVED-SOE-MOD-04 Guest

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=500111&post_id=5655113 Removed for flaming
  14. ARCHIVED-Maergoth Guest

Brutalicus@Nagafen wrote:
    Why not? lol. It's their job. A surgeon with that standard would become very unpopular very quickly.

It's not a matter of it being good.. it's a matter of it being useful to everyone. Why can't the team make something appealing or fun every time?

Full-Repair kit: Useful to everyone
    Wand of Forgiveness: Useful to everyone
    Vet calls: Useful to everyone.
    Vitality restore: Useful to everyone.
    Even a free house is more useful than a once per day group rez. Sad but true. I already have a free group rez as many times per day as I need, it's called a signet. Alternatively, I can just CAST MY OWN REZ.

Sorry. That is disappointing, and borderline insulting to people who have stuck with this game for that long.

XP potions for people who have played this game for 8 years? Either we have tons of max level alts by this point, or we don't WANT THEM. That's common sense. And someone's going to reply with something along the lines of "I've been playing for 8 years and all of my alts aren't leveled". Then you're obviously not overly concerned with being speedy, and an exp potion doesn't appeal to you either.
    Good thing LoN doesn't have a nearly unlimited supply of easily obtainable 6 hour 110% AA, Combat and Tradeskill with 40% Movement speed potions. Oh well.. I guess some people will use these for the large amount of useful AAs I'm sure we'll get with the expansion.

An elemental hover disk? Green eyes? Why? The "usefulness" of cosmetics is nonexistent, questionable at best. Assuming that someone by this point is going to want these two things over everything else is absurd.

So, the 8 year veteran reward is the title "The Veteran".
    Thanks.
    I know there's a fine line to walk between rewarding veteran players and punishing people for not being veterans, but you've definitely hit the nail on the head with this one. At least the outcome was creative, though next time, try "The Forgotten".
    Much more fitting.
  15. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

I consider wands of forgiveness and vitality restorers to be useless to me (just like xp potions).
  16. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

considering how much money LoN and SC have made probably on JUST cosmetic stuff/mounts...I'd wager a massive portion of the player base does find things like the Thulosian vision or the elemental disc mounts to be valuable.
    yes, Maergoth. for hard core raiders, none of the vet reward seems useful or wanted. and I would agree on the xp potions. I got a ton of those still from other vet rewards myself.
    I notice your 'useful for everyone' list is stuff that raiders love for thier many deaths learning new content, mostly. and they've already given us 2 of them. the vet call and the vitality rewards.
    most people that I know that do only group content care less about full repair kits, or wands of forgiveness. they don't tend to die 24+ times a night learning strategies, nor do they spend enough time locked in a zone that a single repairbot wouldn't be more the enough.
    a lot of people don't do like most raiders do and lower all thier effects and such for FPS. (nevermind a human eye can't tell the difference between 30 frames and 170 frames a second) and don't complain about thier mounts being visible in zones. they like showing thier mounts, they like thier eyes of fury, eyes of the ocean, eyes of the void, icy palms, burning fingers, myraid of illusions, and fluff pets like thier loyal snowhounds and coldain bulters.
    granted the rez thing isn't all that great. it seems to be for those situations were the healer didn't give out feathers, and the last person left alive is a non-necro mage or scout or non-paladin tank. oh and provided your healer isn't a cleric that has the rez while dead spell.
    so it's extremely situational. and go figure, for group content people, if I had to use it...I prolly would only need it 1 time a day...since that would prolly be about the only time that situation would come up.
    But I do like the thulosian eyes. my necro will wear them proudly. and the flying disk might not be my taste in mount, but it's still a nice mount I'm sure people who prefer the disk type look will enjoy immensely...and I'd claim it to up my mount count for achievements.