Guardian Skill (Sentinel) & Damage Temp

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Estred, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Estred Well-Known Member

I am copy pasting this from the GU66 Beta Thread because it deserves more discussion and here is the proper place to do so I feel the change made with GU66 will be inadequate to be useful to guards on any measure of noticeable level.

Currently it has a 15% trigger chance when damaged to proc the effect. It seems to proc on "any" damage but only block Physical Attacks. It cannot be placed on a Fighter or Scout (the two classes most likely to take "physical" damage).

I can only place it on a Mage or Healer, this means it only will trigger 15% off an AE Spell which only happens every 24 seconds on a really fast hitting boss like Zizzlaziz. 35-40 seconds for most encounters. This only means that when a tank dies (in many cases the Guardian is the MT) or the mob shuffles/wipes. On average a tank recovers a wipe in 1-2 seconds and a shuffle in 2-5 seconds.

The chances of this effect really doing much of anything is extremely small. It almost isn't worth using except for the "just in case" type scenario where it may just barely save a healers life if Split Second Salvation is not running.

Here is what I feel would make this ability still do what the change is but make it more beneficial to a raid. I have a few options.

Option 1: Group Buff-Physical Stoneskin
    Keep the trigger rate the same but allow it to effect all non-fighters. This makes the chances of seeing protection from it higher especially if it is physical only.

Option 2: Group Buff All Stoneskin
    Make it proc 10% of the time when damaged and block any damage over a threshold basically like a very low shot to give the Healer/Mage a tank stoneskin.

Option 3: Raid Buff
    Allow it to be placed on any 1 raid member including Fighters but only have a 5-10% trigger rate and only block Physical Damage. This would add a very desirable aspect to the Guardian for raid survival. The low trigger is to prevent balance issues.

Option 4: Single Target
    Allow it to trigger on a 20% chance when damaged. Placed on Mage/Priest only but blocks all damage over 10% of their life. This is basically option two but with more limited applications.

Personally I like the 3rd or 4th options. In order of desirablity for me as a Guardian I would rank these from best to worst at: 3, 4, 1, 2

As it stands now, the new Sentinel isn't very helpful as the current one is also worthless. Also if possible Adept/Expert/Master/Grandmaster should increase the Trigger Chance by 1% per if indeed it stays a Stoneskin proc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------Line Break---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Many have said that across all tanks given equal buffs/stats Guardians come out significantly lower. While a few guardians may under the right conditions hit damage ranges form 400,000 to 1,100,100 the former is much much more common than the latter outside of roughly the top 10 Guardians in the game.

That being said, Guardians lack any significant temporary skill to deal 'burst' damage. As such I would highly appreciate (as a Guardian) and suggest that Guardians either see Wrath of the Warrior buffed to be a worthwhile dps proc (it's half of our Mythical) or perhaps be given an AA/Class Skill to add a 10-15 second "self-cast" dps-burst spell.

It would have to only effect Guardians meaning Guardian AA Lines or Guardian Mythical as adding new class skills this late may be odd. I would rather see "Aggressive Entry" in the Guardian Line become a DPS temp spell as +12% Hate while the boss is above 80% life is helpful only if the tank is weak, a DPS boost would serve the same function by bolstering a weaker tanks initial threat-burst on a pull. I ask for discussion regarding how to add such a skill, I have seen already in many threads the idea is supported.

As content stands currently the sheer tools for survial a Guard has are not needed and a Monk tends to be used more for DPS reasons. Either some fights need to require class-specific abilities that most raids have access to or guards need some rounding off that either they get;
    - Their iconic survivability
    - Higher DPS

The goal of this suggestion is to have a choice, as it stands I and I am sure other Guardians have no real trouble picking AA especially in the prestige line as Champions Interception is barely needed/noticed, despite being a strong skill. That is another subject though.

Sorry for the long winded post :oops: had a lot to say.
  2. Emlar New Member

+1 for option 2, otherwise it's quite situational.
    +1 for short term dps boost (either Myth modification or replacement of Executioner's Fury)
  3. Draylore Well-Known Member

I kinda like #2 or even #4. I do not care for the Physical DMG only limitations. And I agree mage/priest only + physical dmg only + really low proc chance just makes it useless.
  4. Wanyen Active Member

Believe in Lady Luck, the dirge left side endline, is that way. Low trigger chance, especially for a defensive measure = useless.

A much higher chance, but lower intensity of effect would be better, but not necessarily good or great..
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support, however I would say it cannot be a dps boost placed over Executioner's Fury. EF is a Warrior skill and making it such a dps boost gives it to Berserkers as well as Guardians. The goal is to address the deficiency of Guardian DPS, Berserkers are doing quite alright, they are just underplayed. Granted so are Guardians. Warriors I believe are the least played tank class.

While The STR line is bad, that has been talked quite a bit in the AA threads both myself and I believe Netty started and talked on.

I have been rethinking this and I have a modification to my suggestions.

Option 1: Group Buff (Single-Target), All Stoneskin
    Make the base trigger rate 25%. Can be placed on Mage/Priest. Threshold 50%
    - Master: 30%
    - Grandmaster 35%

Option 2: Group Buff (Single-Target), All Stoneskin
    Make the base trigger rate 20%. Can be placed on all non-fighters. Threshold 10%
    - Master 25%
    - Grandmaster 30%

Option 3: Group Buff (Group-Target), All StoneskinMake the base trigger rate 15%. Covers the Group. Threshold 15%
    - Master: 20%
    - Grandmaster 25%

Option 4: Raid Buff (Single-Target), All Stoneskin
    Make the base trigger rate 10%. Can be placed on all classes. Threshold 5%
    - Master: 15%
    - Grandmaster 20%

Option 5: Raid Buff (Single-Target), All Stoneskin
    Make the base trigger rate 15%. Can be placed on all non-fighters. Threshold 10%
    - Master: 20%
    - Grandmaster 25%

I followed a basic (Previous X2) for the upping over upgrades of skills up to Expert as you can craft these.
    For the drops or AA only (Master/Grandmaster) the chance becomes X2.5) this has high reason to take it over Battle Tactics Grandmaster, it becomes a question of which is preferred.

Duration Question: Should the duration of the triggered stoneskin be 15 seconds or remain 10 seconds?
    That is some of the changes I had.
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

7. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

tl; dr

Glad I lost interest in warriors before netty and estred became the primary means of feedback.
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

I apologize if we are being comprehensive, you are free to offer whatever shorthand versions of your thoughts if you wish.
    Sixgauge likes this.
  9. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

sorry for the uptight remark.

Boost guard dps; don't care how.
    - Simple
    Estred likes this.
  10. Estred Well-Known Member

Sweet and to the point, quite good.

My long-windedness usually is to provide ideas for discussion or to bring data to an arguement rather than just stating an opinion. I think many are in agreement with you though about Guards needing a short-term DPS boosting skill.
  11. guard Active Member

don't need a short term DPS boost we need a general boost guardian DPS is way to far below all other tanks