Guardian Power During Combat

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Determind, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Determind Active Member

I used my free level 100 to roll a guardian as it was the only tank I didn't already have a character for, but I am finding it a bit challenging in certain aspects and I am thinking its either gear or AA.

1) Power seems to run out on solo boss fights about 20% of the time. Not sure what I am doing wrong with that.
    2) Takes more damage than my other tanks. Tougher than my scouts but still thinking it wouldn't take more damage than my other tanks similarly geared.
    3) Low damage. Unless I am using Vital Trigger the damage seems a bit pathetic compared to my other tanks.

I have heard that the guardian is the most challenging of the tanks to play so I am hoping I can get a few pointers on what to look out for on the above mentioned points. Thanks in advance!
  2. guard Active Member

guards are very slow while levelling and getting your stats up I have played one as my main for 8 years now and t.b.h I don't solo with it anymore with the way they have done zones now it just takes so long to run solo's. I can run through a lot faster on my alt conjy and not just that on conjy I can zone pull the solo zones and clear with ease I only use my guard for grouping most of our dps used to come from our auto attack and now auto attack does 0 damage its really hurt our overall parse
    with incoming damage again once you have things like uncontested block capped and high mit makes life a lot easier and getting the cycle of stone skins and that right you can last fairly long time before taking any damage

for your power usage look at your aa's there are a few ability's in aa's that reduce the power cost of ability's
    Breanna likes this.
  3. MaybeStaphin New Member

Wait... I haven't played the game since Sentinel's Fate, but Auto Attack used to be more than 60% of a fighter's DPS. Learning your class was mostly about learning to time CA's/Spells to fall between auto attacks. And now Auto Attack does NO damage for a fighter? Did I read that right, or was it exaggeration? I've been thinking about playing again, so please, PLEASE tell me this isn't accurate!
  4. knine Well-Known Member

auto attack has been gone for 2 expansions now .. sorry
  5. Determind Active Member

Do procs still do decent damage or would it really make no difference to just disable auto attack on your level 110's?
  6. guard Active Member

I do not worry to much about my auto and timing it properly(these days) but most damage these days comes from having high pot and levelling your ascensions if you have all your ascensions levelled with good fevror and pot you win on the parse but is the same for all classes if you had two identical players one with ascensions levelled and one that hasn't levelled them there dps would be massively different
    personally I would like to see ascensions removed and dps done via class combat arts and auto attack again but that will not happen as daybreak wouldn't make as much money from it
    Arclite likes this.
  7. Arclite Well-Known Member

This.

@OP -- Guards were once a very challenging class to play and that's what made it enjoyable but that time is long gone. Guardian in a skill players hand would give a fully geared guard in a moron's hand a run for its money. Not the case anymore.

inflated stats + ascension spell upgrades >>> class relevance
  8. Ogdinmar Active Member

@arclite the truth is with guards it seems that way. But that's only because there are so few of the skilled guardians around any more so all the others seem to be equal ;)

I agree that inflated stats and ascension upgrades can bridge the gap between equivalently geared players. However, skill still plays a huge role in separating good from great.
  9. Arclite Well-Known Member

Kinda the point. :)

On my server I can count the number of top guards (based on the guilds) and about 90% have been playing as guard since launch or thereabout. Ask any of them and they will agree that it was a major struggle to retain their raid spot as tanks over the last 3 expansions.

Massive amount of unnecessary work is needed to be put in for the guards to keep up with exponentially increase in dps and fulfill their role as a tank. This is not the fun challenge the OP is referring to i am sure.

You take away the high potency gear, the absolute atrocious game breaking tithe point grind (pre-change of course), the awful infusion stat buff and ascension upgrades and you will just not get anywhere. Roll back a few years ago, any guard worth his/her salt on a long hiatus could come back and after a few weeks of some work will be able to out perform a guard who has been active and raiding/grouping regularly with better gear (done that / seen that).

Guards were a fun challenge:

1. when you had to time your auto attacks to generate 50%+ of your aggro.
    2. when you had no big spike damage cash grab ability to fall back on if you lost aggro.
    3. when balancing stats (pre-reforging) meant making a hard decision on what to wear during a boss fight.
    4. when you had to tab-target multiple mobs and keep check on aggro on all with less than 100% AE auto.
    5. when you could be at the bottom of the parse and still be effective as main tank.

That was when the game was good and guardians were a sight to behold.;)
    Chimeron likes this.