Grandmaster won't upgrade to Ancient?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by sythevicious1, Jul 31, 2019.

1. sythevicious1 New Member

I have a Illy 110 that currently has scribed Manatap VII (Grandmaster). I recently got a Master of the same that I tradeskilled up to Ancient. But the Ancient book says it won't upgrade because I don't have the previous need spell scribed. Anybody see what I'm missing?
  2. Kuulei Well-Known Member

It appears you took that as your Grandmaster choice in your Character Development > Illusionist Training. You would have to reset your character development and pick something else from the 4 choices: Theorems VII, Manatrap VII, Aspect of the Genius IX or Synergysm VII
    Then you would have to scribe the GM for Manatrap to make it a true GM and then you can scribe your Ancient.
    Juraiya, Breanna, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  3. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Or just don't pick anything at all, so you're not limited in what you can upgrade to Ancient. Once I discovered this issue I reset the AA for every character on my main account, and now I research everything. (Using Masters/Grandmasters and Experts first.)

I only use the free Grandmasters on my F2P accounts, because it's the only way those characters can have any abilities over Master. On my main account I completely ignore that tab.
  4. Avithax Well-Known Member

That made my head hurt. So, having a free GM spell isn't really a GM unless you don't take it as a GM and then Make a GM?
  5. Bludd Well-Known Member

unfortunately no :( your free gm from character development is not "really" a GM in the spell research sense. it also disappears from the research window I think
  6. sythevicious1 New Member

Ah ok, thx for the answers. :)
  7. Heccie Thump Member

Basically, it is like it is to prevent people from choosing a free GM, scribing the Ancient for it, respeccing to another GM, scribing that Ancient, repeat twice more.

Where you would get 4 Ancient spells as easy as that, or whether you would want to spend time/effort to upgrade some of your 4 choices to Ancient is another matter.
  8. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I never thought of it that way, but yeah, I guess that prevents a possible exploit. In that case, I can see how this mechanism would have needed to be implemented this way.
    Dude likes this.