Good leveling partner?

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-zchdd17, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-zchdd17 Guest

My friend got TSO and I was wondering what a good duo is? I'm a swashbuckler so what class would fit well with him the most? He prefers not to be just a healer also.
  2. ARCHIVED-TygerMeow Guest

This is really as opened-ended a question as "What class should I choose?" to begin with.
    If your partner wants to heal, but also do some damage, Fury is a heal class with good DPS. Warden is reported by some as the best DPS heal class, but I've been leveling up a warden over the last couple days and only at level 40 have I seen a spell that does any real damage. The heal over time nature of the warden doesn't fit perfectly with the burst DPS nature of the swash, either and therefore the types of mobs you will target. Templars can actually do some amazing DPS (I don't have the best gear, but I was in a medium RoK zone with a DPS-speced templar recently and she was out-DPSing me by 1500-2K and solo healing an SK-led group. However, that's a raid geared temp with 200 AA). If your partner wants to go toe-to-toe on the mobs with you and heal, mystics get decents heals and can wear chain. I haven't played a defiler at all, but they also are a mixed DPS and healing class.
    I would not recommend a necro or conjy as a hunting partner simply because we can't place our hate x-fer on the pet. If your partner is set on it, you can still use avoid and all our deaggro and mostly keep a solo mob off you. However, group encounters are always going to be difficult for a duo team with a pet. As you get your DPS up, you will rip solo mobs occasionally and groups a lot. This is stupid and I wish they would fix it partially because one of my favorite hunting parters is a conjy. However, there are all kinds of group situations where someone's pet would make a great OT or MA and it doesn't work because I can't flow hate to it.
    On the other paw, illy or coercer could be a good hunting partner if your friend likes a challenge. I have a 50 chanter that has been betrayed twice, so I'm somewhat familiar with both classes. They are both fun, but challenging to play; I find that I can only play him solo or grouped for a few hours before I'm too tired. The ability for both to deliver the swash one target at a time is great. The swash can pretty easily burn down one mob, keeping it stunned/interrupted and take very little damage. The chanter keeps the rest mezzed and you move on the targets in order. This allows you to duo pretty well without a healer, if that's your goal. The Illy is probably my prefered choice as they have a much easier time mezzing groups and they can buff your haste. A coercer only gets a single target mezz and you have the same problem with no hate transfer on the pet.
    Finally, we get to Paladin/SK. Geared and played well, these both DPS well. Traditionally, the pally got more heals and at lower levels this is still the case. However, at higher levels SKs are now healing monsters. However, Pally DPS has also been balanced out and I sometimes see pally's out DPS me if the group is set up right (or wrong depending on your point of view.)
    That's my input. I'm sure others will join in and agree or disagree.
  3. ARCHIVED-zchdd17 Guest

TygerMeow wrote: