Going solo

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Leloes, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Leloes Well-Known Member

I know this question has been probably been asked but here it is again. My is that when playing most single player games it is best to go at it solo with, maybe, a character that can heal. With a group of four or five you are constantly having to make them do something or they get killed. I usually play a fighter or paladin. Are either of those good for playing in this game? If not, any suggestions?
  2. Kalderon Well-Known Member

For my solo play, i prefer either the paladin or the dirge (if righted speced).
    Paladin as alround, swiss armyknief and dirge can passiv heal (when speced) with each CA, which can become handy. Both do medium dps, but enough for solo anything.
  3. Thand Well-Known Member

erm until you are 95 and Really good gear Dirge are the Worst class to solo, without a healer they Very squishy. Monk ,shadowknight or Inquisiter would probably be the easiest for some one starting out.
  4. Foretold Well-Known Member

I solo'd very easily on my warden, monk and inquisitor. It was much more difficult to solo on my defiler and necromancer.

If you have AoD get yourself a merc. Then you can solo any class you care to play.
  5. Leloes Well-Known Member

So the paladin is not good for soloing?
  6. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I do solo with paladin, from time to time, since beta ^^ and i do not regret it ^ ^
  7. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

If you like fighter-types, monk and shadowknight are really fun for soloing and so is Berzerker. Be aware that Paladin in this game is NOT like Paladin in 'the game which shall not be Named', or you will be disappointed if you put a lot of time into it only to find it's not quite so robust.

The Crusaders (Paladin and Shadowknight) in this game can heal themselves while soloing - Paladin from actual heals and SK from Lifetaps and a small ward. Both classes can beef up those abilities with AA points as you get them. I solo/box an SK with no trouble, and I'm not a very good tank. Plus, even though I'm not very good at it - SK is currently my favorite character because it's just fun to play. (I've never tried Paladin in this game, but have a raiding one in WoW (holy/ret) (ok, I named the game...)

A Shadowknight non-elite merc is really all I need to help solo the harder to solo classes that I have for raiding (Defiler, for one...) - where staying alive isn't the issue, but actually killing things in a timely manner is.

Warden has been my main since launch, and it's a lot of fun to play, easy to solo - but that class is considered a healer in later content - never DPS or a Tank (like Druids in WoW can be...)
  8. Leloes Well-Known Member

I have a thing about playing evil characters. Silly I know but I do. What are some, non evil characters that a that are good to solo with?
  9. SentinelBasch Active Member

I solo a Paladin, and it really is a lot of fun. Their survivability is really amazing, and I don't use mercs or pets.

If I did use a merc, though, it would be a DPS merc, because my Paladin's DPS is average (not bad, not great, just average). They do have some nice AoE's with reasonable cooldowns.

My Paladin is also an Alchemist, however, and I make it a point to keep my tradeskill level up to par so that I can mastercraft upgrades for his most important skills as I go along, and that really makes a big difference.

The only issues I really run into are power issues, but only when I try to beat "three arrow" Heroic enemies on level. I usually run out of power before the battle is over, especially if there are adds. Sometimes I can still squeak out the victory, but I usually run out of power right before the enemy is about to die. But those enemies are really not meant to be beaten by yourself, anyway, at least not on level earlier in the game.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :)
  10. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Evil is more interesting!

Paladin, Monk, Berzerker (neutral), Warden(neutral) - are all very survivable and solo well. 2 scouts, Ranger and Swashbuckler can do fairly well solo, but in some cases you need to be sneaky and some content might need a merc.

The classes that are very tough to solo are Guardian, Templar and the Bards (Troubadour in your case). They don't die so easily, they just take forever to kill something.

Any character can be 'good'. You might start off on the evil side, but you can always Betray to the land of flowers and candy. My SK is a halfling, but betrayed back when the level process was fighter --> Crusader --> Class Choice. Back then, you had to do the betrayal before level 20 when you'd choose your final class, so he's never been a Paladin. A Halfing (good) SK (evil) makes for some interesting backstory, and a small tank is fun to have.
  11. Sini Member

Paladin is definately a good choice for solo (or any other really). So is the Mystic. Both are hybrid melee healers, obviously one much more tank than healer and the other much more healer than tank. But the fact is both classes have similar kinds of abilities and can do either job of tank or healer. This assumes you've learned the class, but thats what the first 90 levels of adventure are for anyway. :)

That said, pretty much all of the classes can solo well enough. Its just that certain classes (basically those with both heals and dps) can potentially be pushed to do more solo than other classes might be capable of, but at that point we're talking about content that was never intended to be solo anyway.
  12. Leloes Well-Known Member

I won't be able to solo past level 90. Why? I haven't played WoW but I'm thinking of installing it so I can play it when and playing it when i want to take a break from eq2. But the problem is I've been reading on their forum that a lot of people are having trouble with and a lot of people are getting an error 4 when they install from the disc. It goes to 2% and they get that error message. I've got the disc and I hate to waste them.
  13. Lempo Well-Known Member

Using a merc is not soloing.
  14. Sini Member

You can solo past 90. What I meant is that the first 90 levels serve little purpose other than to give you a chance to learn the class.
  15. Sini Member

Technically, yes, but no one seems to count mercs when they talk about solo and duo. Since the whole point of the merc was to facilitate solo and small group play, it kind of makes sense. When someone wants to make the distinction they usually say "solo, no merc", or "duo, no mercs".
  16. Leloes Well-Known Member

So, basically it seems like it's personal experience that tells what is best to solo with. I'm looking forword to the Beast Lord in the next expansion.
  17. mague Active Member

The beastlord is available since two expansions :) Go for it.

It is a lot about personal experience, likes and dislikes. Baiscally any healer or crusader is good at soloing. Beastmaster maybe... i only have a level 20 BM and dont know its gameplay well. They all play different and so some like the one or other class. Rule of thumb is to have a class with heals, ranged and melee combat abilities if you want to SOLO anything. Those are usually the melee priests. You can solo all the way to 95. From Velious on the solo quests reward with rather good items. With those you can go back and solo heroic and epic quests. Those who look for it and try have like 2 years content ahead.
  18. Snowhaze Active Member

You do need to purchase the AoD expansion to make a beastlord. Enjoy your first time around, there is a LOT to see and explore. Enjoy the journey, don't make 95 your only drive, you'll be there before you know it.
  19. Kalderon Well-Known Member

The biger problem is, as fast as you can get to the whatever end, i think no one can understand a class from scratch in that time. It normaly takes a good 1-2 month on work, to get a taste of a new class, at least for me.
    If i had to say, get all. AoD is not that cheap, but its worth it, at least if you want to go to endcontent.
  20. Leloes Well-Known Member

I'm in no hurry to get to the higher levels. I find it to be more fun if one takes their time so can truly enjoy their adventure. As far as the Beastlord goes I just find the character to be interesting. At this time I can't afford the latest expansion but I will be getting it soon as I possibly can.