Getting into Freeport to start the Stein of Moggok Quest... a visual guide.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-rifter2, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

Step 1: Make sure you're old enough to start the quest.

Frist, get to the Freeport Griffon station in Commonlands. Then run down to the dock.

[IMG]

Then, go to Scale Yard.

[IMG]

In the Scale Yard, it's a straight run to the sewer system, which is where you head next.
    The sewer system is marked as "The Thieves' Way"
    The only guard's path is shown here in red...

[IMG]

She wanders around the circular fountain then up the path on the east side of the city. It's easy to avoid her if you keep her selected and watch where she is going.

[IMG]

Here is what you are looking for... (you've GOTTA love the fountains in Freeport)...

[IMG]

Once in the sewers, head for East Freeport...

[IMG]

Your way out looks like this..

.[IMG]

Once out of the sewer, turn around and jump up on the wall you see.

[IMG]

That building you can see is your destination. You're going to go in that front door and turn right. But first you have to jump down from where you are...

[IMG]

Looking straight down, each of these numbers is a ledge at a different elevation. You can safely jump down if you do them in order.

[IMG]

Now run into the building and look right. You will see your target, Rumdum...

[IMG]

The only guard in this building WILL kick you out, but he's got one special feature... the last time we did this we found this guard has about a 5 second or so delay before kicking you. In that time, you must start your conversation with Rumdum.

[IMG]

While you are in that conversation, the guard will NOT boot you, he waits until you are done = )
    Complete your conversation with Rumdum and you've started the Stein of Moggok quest!

Message Edited by rifter2 on 01-08-200608:45 PM
    Message Edited by rifter2 on 01-08-200609:26 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

I just did this again tonight and got the quest without being even seen by a guard. I had to hail a guard to get booted from the city after I got the quest. = )
    Message Edited by rifter2 on 01-08-200608:46 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

Unless it has changed, the guard can still kick you out while you are hailing Rumdum.

The way I did it was asking a Freeport player to hail the guard to keep him busy, during that time you walk in the tavern and hail Rumdum without problem.
  4. ARCHIVED-E_Dreamer Guest

Someone told me to run over to, jump onto and stay on the table while conversing with the Bartender
    This seemed to work both times I needed to talk to Rumdrum. The guard still booted me, but not til a good few seconds after I'd finished talking to the Bartender. Of course I was hailing at the same time so maybe it was this that was truly helping ?
  5. ARCHIVED-Danedori Guest

There's an easier way to get into east freeport (in the sense that you don't have to dodge guards). If you take the bell to The Ruins, and then zone into The Sprawl, there is a zone into Serpent Sewer, and from there you can zone into The Thieves Way. Sorry I don't have any screenshots to show the way, I'm not quite that indusctrious, but the zone into Serpent Sewer is in the southwest part of The Sprawl, where the black magi ratonga are.

Danedori
  6. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

Tonight I talked to Rumdum again and tihs time K'Val spotted me.
    White text appeared in my chat box, "Guard K'Val has spotted you". He stood right in front of me with his sword drawn for a good 5 seconds while I finished my conversation (admittedly in a hurry) with Rumdum. I then had time to turn around and run out of the building, just for fun, then stopped, waited for K'Val, who finally kicked me out of Freeport.

There is a delay.
    Message Edited by rifter2 on 01-09-200609:15 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-Suggan Guest

I did the Stein of Moggok quest last night. The last time I tried it (a few months ago) he always threw me out in the middle of the conversation. This time he spotted me, but I had no problems finishing the conversation.

Whenever I finished the conversation with Rumdum he didn't throw me out immediately, one time he even walked away as if he decided to let me stay. One time I even had to hail another guard to take the shortcut to the commonlands. So it looks like you're save once you've started the quest dialog.
  8. ARCHIVED-Schirf Guest

Now we just need a guide on how to get the named to spawn in the jungle... killed placeholders for a few hours this weekend and had no luck at all.
  9. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

Yes I did that. Took 2 nights to get all 4.

There are placeholders, yes. "Greenblood Bouncer". Kill it. There is a small chance that the named will spawn when you kill the PH. I don't know the %.

But there are 4 PH's. Each one wanders a very specific area, and spawns a specific Named. Their spawn points are marked on the EQ2MAP interface you can download and install into your game map interface.

The exact /locs are on ogaming.com's eq2 searchable quest database.

Like I say... it took a lot of effort waiting around killing nameds since they seem to wait about 10 minutes before another ph or the named spawns.

It's just time waiting. Worked for me. I had a scout with me though. Easier to track.
  10. ARCHIVED-biffenbob Guest

the timer is now more like 3 sec, and he kicks you even if you are talking to that guy....
  11. ARCHIVED-DataGodess Guest

Additional strategy on K'Val....get an evil aligned friend to distract K'Val. The friend waits on the deck behind the inn, when K'Val makes his rounds there, they do a Find NPC and type in anything they can think of. I've kept K'Val distracted for twenty minutes while a whole group of folks got their update from Rumdum.
  12. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

that's a great tip!
  13. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

Earlier tonight I was kicking around the forums and found another great tip on how to deal with K'Val... but I can't find it again so I can't credit whoever came up with it:

Goes like this: K'Val will chase you if you are a good character, he chases you about the same distance any other mob would chase you. let him, and then when he turns to go back to his post, he WALKS. Then you can beat him back to Rumdum easily by running, and complete the whole thing with no help whatsoever.
    Unconfirmed, I haven't tried it myself.
  14. ARCHIVED-valkyrja Guest

This is what I have done, as well as everyone I have told to do this quest.

When you get to the tavern, don't go in. Instead go around to the back of the tavern to the left. Stay out there untill you see the guard walk out onto the porch. He will remain out there for a little bit. Run around front and talk to the Ogre.

Works everytime.
  15. ARCHIVED-Delameko Stone Guest

Just keep running between the placeholders and killing them. They each spawn in specific locations. Grind them down until there's only one left then camp the spot where it spawns. It can be pretty frustrating, when we were on the final one it was about 3 in the morning and the place holder kept spawning (I believe the respawn is 11 minutes - maybe 12 I forget). Of course you might be lucky and they spawn quick :smileyhappy: I advise grabbing some quests for the zone while you're doing it so you can maximise your time in the zone.
  16. ARCHIVED-Rockroi Guest

I completely agree with sparql on this one.

When you finally get to E. Freeport, head for the building and go around to the left until you see the open-air cafe. Stay close to the wall and watch the traffic in the cafe. There will be a few NPC's milling about and the Guard will eventually do a circuit out there. He takes forever both inside the building and on the cafe. When he finally gets outside, wait for him to walk further out (if too close to the door, he may see you). Once he starts walking away from the tavern and deeper into the cafe, run back around and start talking to the orc. Make it fast.

Also, don't bother with the docks. KISS (keep it simple, stupid). Go Sprawl -> Sewers -> Thieves Way -> East Freeport. And the Sewers -> Thieves Way transition is like 5 seconds tops. No Guards until E. Freeport and the only one that matters is the guy mentioned above.

I have been killing placeholders for a day now with no luck in Feerrott. But eventually, they will spawn. God willing....

And I noticed a small (small, small, small) "bug." When talking to the orc, he spells Feerrott, "Feerott" (one "r"). See? Nobody knows how its spelt.
  17. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

There is actually a guard stationed just inside the Sprawl gate from Commonlands, not sure what they are there for or even if they do anything
  18. ARCHIVED-ShinmaRyche Guest

You are going to be disappointed with the new changes to E FP. Epic guards, more guards. You dont get ejected anymore, now you just get dead.
  19. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

Freeport has always had 'epic' guards, Candyland was the city that had lvl 1 Captains
    And you don't 'just get dead', you finally get to fight back instead of automatically getting tossed out on ya heiney (V`Wak is rubbing her hands in glee at the thought of getting bloody revenge with the guard at the Starcrest docks)
  20. ARCHIVED-Delameko Stone Guest

At first I thought 'if they increase the number of guards its gonna make these type of quests a lot tougher...' then I thought 'but just imagine my whole guild marching into a city to get the updates...' :smileyhappy: