Gamespot News: SOE talks EverQuest II updates

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Tabiani, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Kyliegirl Guest

>>>
    We'll be releasing more details on the Adventure Packs very soon.

Think of them like modules for P&P adventure games. They're a smaller scale, self-containted storyline that adds onto the world with a more focused scope than a full-fledged expansion. They'll have a very reasonable price tag.

Keep in mind you'll get the first part for free, so everyone can enjoy a new zone whether you buy the rest or not.

The Adventure Packs aren't the only way we'll be adding content. Our Live Team is working on in-game events and storylines that will be surfacing in the coming weeks. Just as we added two new zones with this week's update, more free adventure areas will be coming in subsequent updates.

Beyond that, there will be full expansions that add significant new lands and features to the game.<<<

AKA: All Your Money Is Belong To Us
    :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Alexius Legend
    44 Templar, Antonia Bayle
  2. ARCHIVED-peach77 Guest

So let me get this straight, once every bug is squished...how long til everyone start to complain about lack of content since they done it all while the bugs we're worked on. Look they are working on the bugs and working on future content, which Im very excited about. Every MMO has a bumping road sometimes, but it will level out soon enough..
  3. ARCHIVED-kereven Guest

There's going to be a storyline!? :smileyhappy:
  4. ARCHIVED-LoofLirpa Guest

Hmmmm, its not hard to see how SOE rationalized this as a viable idea... Software sales + web-access goodies + subscriptions is not grossing them enough revenue. What else can SOE sell for additional revenue? Quests which are entirely "optional" but grant a reward which is so irresistable that the hard core players have no problem buying for $5. How many people do you know would galdly pay a bit of cash to one-up a buddy?......In order for the Smiths to keep up with the Jones' the other peeps are "forced" to buy the Quest.

Personally, I don't like the idea of playing the fool but I could see myself getting sucked into this ploy. (Im bought OMENS for an extra spell slot....). But what happenes when they start selling bonus gear for 5.00$? A special sword for $2.50? A super-fast silver horse for $.99 a month?

I like EQ@ and fully understand SOE's desire to make money but I think they have to they have to be careful about "how" they make it. Please don't stoop to underhanded money making schemes that inevitably will lose you more money in the end or, of course, there will be no more EQ

And fix the current bugs first please before you do anything else..........
  5. ARCHIVED-Loqii Guest

I don't think it is a terrible idea... I mean, they can come up with whatever business model they want. If people buy it, it is successful. If people don't buy it, they will call it off.

What really, really bothers me is that this business model was not disclosed when I bought the game. I think it is really innapropriate to just start making up pricing schemes for content AFTER I have already agreed to pay x dollars a month. (And assuming a big update will come out every so often I will have to shell out for)

Nobody will be "forced" to buy these mini-updates, but they will buy them. Because they are invested in the game. Because that is the way the game is designed.... It's like crack cocaine for ne D&D crowd. It seems really sleazy, and disrespectful to the player base to me. Like a drug dealer offering the first one free, then you are hooked and have to shell out the $$$.

Shame on you SOE.

-Loqi
  6. ARCHIVED-Ferondia Guest

Man, you can really tell the stingy, the childish, the cheapskates, the whiners, the the the's when something like this comes along.
    First and foremost, this is their game, you don't like their pricing model then stop playing/paying.
    More importantly, this is the future of these type of games, so get used to it.
    They employ a great deal of people to add all these extras...and you have to pay for em.
    When you go buy a car they don't just give you the leather and superior sound system for free..they are OPTIONS...that cost EXTRA...
    Same thing with a biggie fry and a drink...it's EXTRA...
    Everything is like that...generic can o beans, or name brand can o beans...

Geezus, quit whining...either pay or don't, stop being children...stomping your feet and throwing a tantrum isn't going to do anything to motivate them to change anything...

I for one think the added option is a nice thing.. I may not get it, but I'll have the option to do so...at the very least I will be getting some additional content to explore pro bono, which is nice...gift horse n all...

Agree with the poster that spoke about dev resources/allocation/multiple levels of effort...right on the money there...

And to all the ones crying poor-mouth...if you can't afford your evercrack addiction, work harder/smarter and get paid more...or stop playing....

geez..
  7. ARCHIVED-Ellyana Guest

Ever hear of a little game called Horizons?
  8. ARCHIVED-Ellyana Guest

Ferondia you are an [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot]. People like you should have their mouths sewn shut and their fingers super glued together. Please do all us a favor and go away.

Message Edited by Ellyana on 01-07-2005 03:54 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-Stromulis Guest

All I have to say is this game is going to turn into another Project Entropia where you have to spend real money to do anything.
  10. ARCHIVED-patimen Guest

Great argument there. Very compelling.
  11. ARCHIVED-Pain Divine Guest

While I can understand your frustraition... I can't understand your choice of words. Thanks for getting this thread locked on us.
  12. ARCHIVED-Jeridor Guest

Heh, I just thought of something funny. For those who buy all these add ons, we'll call it EverQuest 2. For those who don't, we'll call it EverZone 2. :smileyvery-happy:
  13. ARCHIVED-Ferondia Guest

Why? Because you say so? I hardly think that's going to make me do much of anything.
    I stated a very realistic point of view...you must be one of the tantrum throwers, or childish actings, or poor-mouth crying people...
    I guess you've never had to buy a new car and fiddle with the options to get the price where you like, or configure a new pc, or bargain shop between name brands... it's all options and what-you-want price modelling... get over it and quit whining...

mouth sewn shut and fingers super-glued indeed....
  14. ARCHIVED-Ellyana Guest

:smileyindifferent:
    Wait a sec Ferondia calls us
    stingy, the childish, the cheapskates, the whiners.
    and then says
    And to all the ones crying poor-mouth...if you can't afford your evercrack addiction, work harder/smarter and get paid more...or stop playing....
    And Im the one who gets scolded?

Message Edited by Ellyana on 01-07-2005 04:04 PM
  15. ARCHIVED-patimen Guest

The difference, Ellyana, is that at least he made some kind of argument. All you could manage was an insult!
  16. ARCHIVED-Lathspell Guest

I love how everyone is so reactionary on the boards. If you had read the article they stated it was something they were working on (as in it isnt coming out tomorrow) and that everyone will have access to the zones and it is optional content, no one says you have to buy it, but if you do you get some extra quests and story lines to follow, which in my opinion is a good thing. Moor also said that they will still be adding in regular content and patches as they have been so it is all in all just a mini-expansion. I have no problem with people venting about being upset about it, but to then come back and attack people for their viewpoints when you don't agree with them is just rude. At least that is my opinion, I bet when they make the full announcement about the adventure packs that people will have all new things to complain about. That is the nature of most forums, more people complain on these (and other game) forums than on any other forums I belong to. SO in conclusion, I feel everyone just needs to step back, take a deep breath, maybe go outside, and relax.
  17. ARCHIVED-Ellyana Guest

There was no constructive argument there. Only insults and more of the "if you dont like it, tough" mentality. And how are your posts to me about my post adding to this discussion?
  18. ARCHIVED-Jeridor Guest

Er, he had an argument? Seems to me all he said was you're dumb stop whining, you're dumb stop whining, you're dumb stop whining, and you're dumb stop whining. And if you don't like it go away [because EQ2 doesn't rely on your money, right?]. Oh yeah and you're dumb stop whining.
  19. ARCHIVED-Malifestro Guest

Yah I pay a monthly fee for there time, bandwidth, bug fixes, content, etc. I don't agree that paying a one time fee or a monthly fee for 'special' items, quests, zones etc is very cool. I don't need this game. Yes I enjoy playing it, but even though I make a decent living the game is very expensive when you look at other games or things to do out there.
    I play the game to get away from the world and to enjoy a new world. Running around with a special sword, horse, doing a quest or zone I had to pay extra for just reminds me even more that 'this is not real'. If more and more 'cool' items, quests and what have you are continued to be developed with this thinking, I'll just walk away.
    Same way I walked away after the 1st expansion in EQ1 when they added up to lvl 60. I did the math on the exp needed and the time to get 60 and the reward and it wasn't worth it anymore to play. I had enough INT, the spells I got for leveling pretty much sucked, and I only would be getting a level every month or so.
    Games are supposed to be fun to play first, then affordable next. With bugs, it's less fun, with poor customer service, less fun, with monthly fees, less affordable, with one time hits on your CC for an item/quest/zone etc, less affordable. See a trend. You are loosing customers patience SOE. Wake up and snap out of it. You got less subscribers then you had thought you would and your continueing to do things that are irresponsible and pissing off the customers. It would be highly adviseable to give them things they want to keep them, and do things to steal customers from WoW.
    I'd hate to leave, but your almost forcing my hand.

20. ARCHIVED-LoofLirpa Guest

Ferondia, I completely understand your point of view. You're exactly right. The unfortunate reality is that some people will leave over this "strategy"......because as you have said..."They can". How is that good for SOE or the players?

Whining? Do we or do we not have the right to criticize, make suggestions, vent our frustrations...... Ask SOE if they would rather us complain or leave? When SOE says "please leave" I will. This is an extremely health exercise for everyone involved. If you find the negative tone of this thread uncomfortable may I suggest that you stop whining about our whining and leave.