Game crashing after minutes of play!

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by AndrewBene, Mar 9, 2014.

1. AndrewBene New Member

Comp Specs:
    AMD athalon II x2 250 processor 3.0 ghz
    4.0 gb ram
    64 bit op system

just recently installed eq and everything has been smotth playing, no crashes except when I turned quality up to extreme and my system isn't powerful enough for that...anyhow it has been crashing after I first log into the world after around 2 min or so...and my computer will go to a black screen and just sit idle..i cant force shut off the PC, I have to hit the reset button to restart windows. everything else I run on the pc has never caused it to crash...any ideas? I am fully up to date with direct x 11 and just only started today! been great the first three weeks ive been playing it...

Thx ahead of time!
  2. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Game doesn't use dx11, so you want to make sure you have the latest version of dx9 runtimes installed.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    Also :
    make sure your version of windows is fully patched by running windows update
    make sure you have the latest WHQL drivers for your graphics card installed.
    and finally from the Launchpad validate your game files to make you have not had a corrupted download.
  3. Pergor New Member

The problem might be lying with you having only 4gb RAM and graphic settings set to very high values. You see, Everquest has many huge zones, and each and every graphic has to be loaded into memory as you move through the zone. However, unloading the data, which isn't required anymore (such as from a previous zone you were in before that), from the cache doesn't seem to work well in the game - so over time, your RAM gets filled up. You should be able to notice that after changing zones for a few times, the zone loading takes longer and longer. Highly detailed graphics take more memory, also.
    I had the same issues when I was using a single-core notebook with 2gb RAM earlier. The game pretty much always crashed after changing different zones for 5-7 times. Even now, with a new quad-core power rig which has 12gb RAM, the loading gets noticeably slower after changing zones for like 25-28 times, and can even crash sometimes.

So there're two, actually three things you can do to help it. Get more RAM, something at 8gb or more should improve things noticeably. Set the details in the options to lower values. And last, you can camp to desktop once in a while and start the game anew again, that resets the memory.