Game closing on launch

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Draxxar, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Draxxar New Member

No matter what I try I cannot get the game to launch on my laptop when it launched just fine on my desktop. I fully downloaded the game on the launcher, hit play, and a black screen opens up and then just closes itself after like 2-3 seconds everytime I try to launch the game. I've tried about everything I can see and none of it is working, Downloaded direct x (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109), downloaded those specific directx9 files (d3dx943.dll or w/e they are) and threw them in the eq2 folder, marked all the .exes to run as administrator and in windows 7 compatibility, tried adding cl_movie_enabled false to eq2_default.ini, but whenever I launch the game it removes that line from the .ini. Tried enabling directplay in windows settings. Tried doing windows update and everything is latest, updated all my nvidia drivers to latest, changed the settings to launch in windowed mode. I reinstalled the game once completely, and now I tried installing it through steam too. Been looking for the past day and I've been just trying anything else suggested by people and none of it is working. Does anyone have anything else I can try?
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

You can't amend eq2_default.ini as it's maintained by the patcher. You need to override it by creating eq2.ini and adding your changes to that.
    Instead of reinstalling try copying your working install over from the desktop. Even if it still doesn't work at least you will have eliminated game files as the problem.
    As you're on a laptop is your graphics card up to the job? Many laptop setups aren't. I suggest you post the card details so people who know this stuff can gauge it for you.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Draxxar New Member

It's got a gtx 1060, it's hardware is all enough to run the game. But no, I'm out of town now so I can't copy anything from the desktop, was hoping to just boot it up and be able to play. I'll try making an eq2.ini file later tonight and see if that works.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Does your DX install include DX 9.0c -- that's the file that EQ2 must specifically have.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Tkia Well-Known Member

"downloaded those specific directx9 files (d3dx943.dll or w/e they are) and threw them in the eq2 folder,"

I'd call that a 'yes', wouldn't you?
  6. Draxxar New Member

I found an old installation for 9.0c, but it would never let me install it on windows 10 and the only installer that would work was that one from the Microsoft link I had. Instead, one post I found yesterday had an eq2wire link with a zip file with some dx9 files to throw in my eq2 folder, so that's all I've been able to do
  7. Draxxar New Member