Fury AA Setup (Post GU62 / AOD Release / 320 AA Cap)

Discussion in 'Fury' started by ARCHIVED-Caethre, Dec 31, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Caethre Guest

Fury AA Setup (Post GU62 / AOD Release / 320 AA Cap)
    ========================================

Having already done this for the Conjuror class, I thought, right, Fury next! Start with cut and paste the pro-forma, and then, into the analysis!
    Rider
    ------

I am not an expert. I am just another player. I will potentially revise anything I have said below if provided with a good enough rationale for a normal player's playstyle for doing so.
    There is no "perfect spec", just a preferred one. Your mileage may vary.
    Any and all *constructive* comments welcome.

Background:
    ---------------

I have been playing Fury for years now, since 2005 actually. Having just grinded Annaelisa from 300AA to 320AA last night, reaching the new AA cap for the post GU62 / AoD release, it was time to sit down and go through the AA setup again, as I have not done this in, well, bloody ages. My first step was to head to these forums looking for any fresh advice. Finding nothing much, I re-read some of the older threads (but there is not much here, to be honest), so I came up with my own setup, but based on my perception of my own needs and, in some cases, a limited understanding of the precise nature of a few of these abilities. So, I decided to share it.
    Take note that this setup is intended for the following types of fury players:
    - Those who have 320AA. Well, it is a full spec after all.
    - Those who prefer a one-size-fits-all setup, who don't want to be using AA mirrors all the time.
    - Those who are not wanting to spend any points on the tradeskill tab.
    - Those who are soloers, groupers or pickup or casual raiders.
    - Those who are not crazy min-maxers
    - Those who have NOT capped out on all their gear (or probably on any of their gear!).

In summary, it is spending 320 AA for a player who is playing a fury but for fun and not for a job.
    If you are one of the 1% of players wanting a hardmode raiding setup for some extreme hardcore guild, this ain't the thread for you, go ask someone else, cos that sure ain't me, never was, never will be.

The AA Setup
    -----------------

Follow the link:
    http://beetny.com/eq2aa/?GU62;802s1...@1a@1a44@2aa@21

Druid Tab
    -------------

This tab I find easy to choose, as the AGI, INT and STA lines contain things I consider important, whereas the STR and WIS lines do not.
    The first choice is the second line from the left (formerly known as the AGI line). Ten ranks in Wild Regeneration is an absolute must-have, and Tortoise Shell is so very useful in some groups and many easier raid settings. The top two skills do not matter to me, but need to have 12 points spent between them to get the vital ones at the bottom.
    The second choice I make is the right-hand line (formerly known as the INT line). I go for ten ranks each in Stormcaller's Control and Stormvision, and take Infusion as well. This line is all about doing some DPS.
    Next, I choose ten ranks of Serene Focus on the middle line, to boost crit chance. Having chosen this, I then take ten ranks of Serene Knowledge as well, and the end skill Serenity. This end skill is very much the third choice of the end skills, and is new to me now we can spend the full 100 in this tab, but I still think it will be worth having.
    Finally, I take one single rank of Nature Blade from the STR line, just to have the attack.
    This means 78 points have been spent in total at this point.
    The bottom section is easy - eight ranks each into Wild Protection and Stormcaller's Renewal, allowing two ranks in Tunare's Grace of course. The last two points can go into Pure Serenity, as there is nothing better to put them in at this point.

Fury Tab
    ------------

The following are things I would consider instant choices for just about any normal player Fury:
    Armour of Nature 5
    Tempest 5
    Death Swarm 5
    Peerless Predator 5
    Thunderbolt 5
    Starnova 5
    Hibernation (5AA for this one rank)
    Porcupine 5

Now, my additional choices in the top half of this tab are:
    Snare 3
    Pact of the Cheetah 3
    Fae Fire 5
    Feral Tenacity 5
    Brambles 5
    Primal Fury 5
    Ring of Fire 5
    Call of Storms 4

That makes 75 points spent.
    Why these?
    Snare is my first choice of the bunch, and many others may not take it, but I have always considered snare one of the most powerful abilities in EQII, and it gives us control in many solo and small group, and some group settings. It is also, of course, very 'on-theme' for druids in EverQuest *chuckle*, It is an instant choice for me, and I use snare a lot!
    Pact of the Cheetah I take enough ranks to cap the runspeed when I use it, for super-fast getaways or speed bursts when needed. For me, that happens to be 3 ranks.
    Fae Fire is a superb way to get an extra trigger for Infusion in groups, and more reuse and cast speed makes it usable more often!
    I like the death save, so making it available more often is appealing, so Feral Tenacity I like to take the the maximum.
    Brambles I didn't like at first, but it has grown on me and now I find it really useful especially in slightly disorganized casual raids, for absolutely dumping unwanted heal aggro at once, and a faster refresh is useful.
    Primal Fury makes a nice buff a slightly nicer buff. Admittedly it only improves the proc rate of the proc that the buff can lead to, which is not as good as actually permanently improving the buff itself, but in the end I decided to take it.
    Boosting the two AE damage spells 'Ring of Fire' and 'Call of Storms' is obviously useful. I chose +5/+4, it could easily have been +4/+5, the difference is not very important.
    This means not taking:
    Emergency Healing (I have never been overly fond of the emergency heals due to their massive recast timer)
    Forest Spirit (a minor mage buff, no very useful unless I am raiding and in a mage group, a combination of circumstances that occurs rarely for me)

These I would definitely not consider, as they are garbage:
    Feast
    Intimidation
    Maddening Swarm.

So, that makes 75 points spent so far.
    The bottom part I find very easy now:
    Energy Vortex
    Animal Form
    Pact of Nature
    Huntmaster's Vitality 5
    Faydark's Awakening 5
    Herbal Remedy 5
    Nature's Swarm 5
    Natural Cleanse

And that is 100.
    The other options at the bottom are not appealing at all. Kudzu is garbage. Tempest of the Elements does not look as useful as other things chosen. Tunare's Touch just doesn't give enough to make it appealing.

Shadows Tab
    -----------------

This was difficult. There are so many things I want! But I had to choose some and let others go.
    General:
    Hearty Constitution 5
    Enhanced Mind 5

Priest:
    Litany of Combat 5
    Protective Prayer 5
    Supplication of the Fallen

Druid:
    Elemental Mastery 5
    Nature's Storm 5
    Untamed Winds 5
    Harmony of the Grove 5
    Wrath of Nature

Fury:
    Hunter's Call 4
    Essence of the Stormcaller 5
    Pack Spirit 5
    Faydark's Elixir 5
    Natural Restoration 5
    Master of Storms
    Nature's Ferocity

That's 70 points spent.
    Some notes:
    - On the Fury line, only Intimidation is rubbish, the rest is all really good stuff!
    - On the Druid line, only Bladed Expertise is obvious as something not to choose (I am a casting Fury, not a melee class!), but due to lack of points, I had to omit taking Heirophant's Protection as it was the least appealing of the remaining set, despite still being useful.
    - On the Priest line, due to the demand for points in the lower two lines, there was only points for two choices, which is a pity as some of those others look nice too, and I could imagine some other Furies might choose some of them! Indeed, I did just have Prayer of Healing, and decided to change it to select Pack Spirit on the bottom row instead, but it was a close call.
    - The top line was easy, health and power, with power being the life blood for Furies.

Heroic Tab
    --------------

Ability Aptitude 10
    Expertise 10
    Critical Genius 4
    Lightning Reflexes 4
    Natural Presence 10
    Spirit of Druidism 10
    Howling with the Pack (2AA for the 1 rank)

That's 50 points spent.
    The choice of Ability Aptitude was easy, as that is badly lacking on RyGorr gear and DOV quested jewelry, and indeed also on ToFS x2 jewelry, so it was a no brainer choice on the top row.
    Equally, Potency on the second row stands out as the most important to get.
    On the third, the 20% reduction in power cost on all heals when in healing stance is an absolute godsend, as Furies are power hogs, and normal players so often do not end up in decently constructed groups and have to manage as best we can.
    After that, it was more debatable. The choices I made above were not all my first choice, but seem to be the best options for now. I can imagine others may make another choice. The bottom line options especially, I have heard all three of them being taken, and indeed myself had the Faith of the Fallen option for a while, but moved to the one selected recently.
    Well, there, it's done.
    Constructive comments appreciated.
  2. ARCHIVED-Viany Guest

Forest Spirit is a nice int boost for any mage you may end up grouped with, raiding or not. If you spent 5 points to increase damage of Ring of Fire, you may be disappointed. That only drops the reuse of it by 15 seconds. 5 points in Call of Storms for the 10% crit bonus is better if you're looking for damage. Only other thing I would recommend is 5 in Hunter's Call. Even if you're just using the buff on yourself soloing, the 10% potency when it procs is nice.
    For the extra 20 aa points, I'm trying to decide what I need the least so I can steal 5 points for the extra chance at a rare while harvesting without having to run back to a mirror frequently. Has to be something from the shadows tree because of the stupid 70 point requirement to get to the SF options on the other trees :(
  3. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Felishanna@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I guess I've slacked a bit on my stickied guide, I'm gonna post my newest AA setups on there for the HM raiding types here in a few minutes. BTW, most of the advice (if not all of it) that I added to your posts is stuff that's already in my Kool Kids guide that's stickied at the top. I wasn't criticizing anything you posted as a hardcore raider btw. I been playing this toon since December of 04, and only spent about two years of that time hardcore raiding. Rest of the time, I was solo healing every heroic instance in the game with heroic gear, so I drew on that experice with the class to make my suggestions, take em or leave em. Good job on the write up, for the most part. Off to do a few updates on that monstrosity I got going on.
  4. ARCHIVED-jetjockpjb Guest

The setup for my Fury is nearly identical to Elhonna's with some differences. Animalism/Animal Form has never made sense to me. I'd be interested in hearing why so many others think it's a must have.
  5. ARCHIVED-Wilin Guest

Korus@Crushbone wrote:
    For raiding, Animal Form on the necro prior to Lifeburn is a significant boost to the LB damage. It adds about 12k Health to mages. If there is no necro, sometimes it's used on the conjy pet prior to Soulburn. All of that can be macroed so it's a simply click to cast on the hotbar.
    For situations where power is low, hit your HoTs + Hibernation and then Animal Form on yourself and melee as many things as possible. Animal Form procs a power boost on the recipient that is significant and it procs every time you hit something. Pairing this with Heirophant's Grasp with unlimited AE targets(as suggested above) makes for instant power replenishment on a 1 min recast ay max reuse. As soon as you have enough power and as your delayed heals are ending, click Animal Form again to cancel it and resume with lots of power.
  6. ARCHIVED-jetjockpjb Guest

Wilin wrote:
    Hmmm...I can see a definite advantage to using it as one more tool for my own power management. I guess that the reason I have been skeptical about it is that the Necro, Conjie or mage you cast it on has to know what to do with it. Sadly, at least in PUGs, I don't run across that many savvy mages :)
  7. ARCHIVED-RogueSpideyChick Guest

if you just cast it on a lb'ing necro, they dont even notice it, except maybe that their hp goes up. i use it that way & on my suicidal sorcys when adds pop to keep them alive since they tend to be kissing the mobs. the extra hp/mit helps keep them alive so u actually getta chance to keep them up when they might otherwise get 1 shot.
    also if u run ACT during raids & dont already have a trigger for it, add the necros lb to a trigger. when it goes off, pop it on the necro, heal, back to ur normal thing.