Fun Solo Class.... Ranger vs Assassin

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by M1STERTURTLE, Apr 11, 2013.

1. M1STERTURTLE New Member

Hi I am new to EQ2 and can't make up my mind which one of these I want to play. I heard rangers are having their combat arts changed to work while moving/average solo and overall assassins are needed more so endgame but harder to solo with..

Others have said forget those two classes and go monk, SK, or paladin for soloing but don't expect to get into raids easily.

Which of the classes above are the most power efficient?

What do you guys recommend and why?
  2. SentinelBasch Active Member

Out of all the classes I've tried, paladins are the most balanced for me. They have nice damage output (not top tier, but not low either), lots of healing spells and can wear plate armor. Mine can solo quite a bit of group content that other classes couldn't touch by themselves. They can have some power issues early on but this is greatly rectified closer to endgame. Monks are currently considered a prime choice for tanking, but paladins also do it exceptionally well.

Rangers and assassins are scouts, which are DPS classes. They do really nice damage but are not so survivable.

Monks, shadowknights, and paladins are fighters, and are generally expected to tank.

A lot of it depends on your playstyle, too. Pick a class that fits in the role you're most comfortable with.

Have fun. :)
  3. M1STERTURTLE New Member

Which can solo tougher things instances/things endgame, monk sk or pally? Also I heard pally and sk get to cast on move soon?
  4. Palathas New Member

Because of Health and Power taps, I've always found the SK to be more manageable. I'm pretty sure that comes down to my playstyle and the fact that I haven't maxed either class out yet. I'm in the process of power levelling a Paladin now and have reached level 71.

I've mainly duo'd with an SK with my Dirge and we've never had any real issues so far.
  5. Twyxx Well-Known Member

Rangers have a lot of tools for soloing. And even more coming with GU66. Both now are solid at endgame and if played well shouldn't have a problem finding a raid spot if that's what you want to do. Assassins can solo, but not the best at it. I would just think about what class you see yourself as and would enjoy the most and go for it. Wouldn't worry too much about endgame at this point. If you're good there's a spot for any class.
  6. SentinelBasch Active Member

One more thing - you asked which classes can solo instances. It's important to note that not all classes are equipped to do some of the heroic content on level, especially earlier on while you're leveling. With a mercenary, yes, all classes can do it, but otherwise, you need a class with solid heals. Paladins and shadowknights are both equipped for it. Monks only get one heal, and it's on a long cooldown. Scout classes like rangers and assassins put out top damage numbers, but not enough to keep them alive in longer fights by themselves. Just something to consider.

But as far as non-group content goes, any class will work. Just pick one that fits your playstyle.