Frustrated doesn't BEGIN to cover it

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Raeven, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Seefar Well-Known Member

No, Seefar would not, any more than Seefar would use a screwdriver to hammer in nails.

Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I've been reading these posts with interest (I run Win 8.1) - just a small question. How sure are you that it is XP that has caused the problem?

I do think that perhaps some conclusions have been jumped to. I really don't think DBG would risk alienating a (I'm picking) fairly large proportion of its playerbase who still use older an OS without announcing well in advance that they were going to no longer support them, and were moving to an upgraded version.

Does every player using XP have a problem? At least one other poster (can't remember if earlier in this this thread or another one) stated that they run XP and have no issues. If they run XP and are fine - perhaps it's not XP support that is the issue?

Correlation does not imply causation.

(And yes, I'll probably get jumped on from a great height for this...)
    Jaden, Belenos, Seefar and 1 other person like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Not from me! I totally agree. :D

Uwk
    Belenos and Seefar like this.
  4. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

Because deleting a single file created by the EQ2 client will allow the game to function fine on XP, until the game is shut down and the file is recreated. No modifications to the XP OS are required to make the game work. In my case it's been a reproducible situation for the past week.

I do not believe that DBG intentionally modified this file to cause the game to fail on XP, I am as certain as I can be that it's an unintentional bug. However, the lack of communication from DBG on this issue is making me begin to fret. There has not (to my knowledge) been at least a "we've seen your posts and are investigating" response from DBG.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sigrdrifa has said so; she seems to have been nominated their go-between (I think they should give her a paying community manager job for real, but that's just me!), but it'd still be nice to take 30 seconds out to say, "Yep! Got it! Thanks! Working on it! Please let us continue that and don't fret! Bye!" Come to think of it...isn't that what we used to have Community Manager types for??

Uwk
  6. gnewbie New Member

I am getting the same problem. Windows XP. I am doing a full download to see if I can find that file after. The .vpl is not in there currently.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good luck! :-/

Uwk
    Seefar likes this.
  8. gnewbie New Member

Downloaded the full game. Everything works now. Thanks.
  9. Jaden Well-Known Member

-------------
    Send Holly a tweet or two --- she has been known to initiate queries on problems people have come to her with over a Tweet in recent months:). GL and I hope you find answers to this frustrating issue(s).
    Seefar likes this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Grats! :D

Welcome to the game! :)

Uwk
    Seefar and Jaden like this.
  11. Detor Active Member

What if you used something like Autodelete to automatically delete that file every time at system startup and after every 2 hours (or 1 hour, or however long works best for you)? It would almost be a transparent process once set up - and if that's all it takes to get it working on XP again then somebody could do a full step by step, with pictures (somebody that still has XP installed) for everybody else on the forums, post it on the player support forum. You might even be able to talk a mod into stickying it there for you.
    Seefar and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Wulfhammer Active Member

Hi there,
    Have you checked the integrity of the game files from the launcher? Sorry if this has been suggested and tried but not sure I want to read every page of the thread to find out...

Good luck..
  13. Dread1313 Active Member

DELETING THE ASSETSLIB.VPL FILE IN THE EQ2 DIRECTORY FIXED THIS ISSUE FOR ME!
    PLEASE STICKY THIS!
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hey, Dread, do you have to keep "re-deleting" it every time, or just once? :)

Uwk
    Seefar likes this.
  15. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

I'll put money on him having to do it every time. That's the way it's still working for my XP machine.
    It's been six weeks since this issue surfaced, and there still has been no official acknowledgement from DBG that the problem exists. Nor have the minimum system specifications been changed; they still say WinXP SP3 or newer, as a minimum and as recommended.

Edit: Just checked, and it doesn't appear to be in the DGC Issues Tracker system either.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, for the longest time, the Powers didn't acknowledge that the "sinking NPCs" existed (it was always our er, our systems' fault), and they still deny the existence of any memory leaks. :-/

Uwk
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I have not been nominated by anyone. I know that if I say, "go and open an issue on the Tracker", no one will do it, so I have been opening issue tickets.

I generally try to be helpful and informative.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

This is true! You are! :)

Uwk
    who didn't even know there was a Tracker, other than for personal stuff...
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's the Daybreak Community Tracker. Basically what they've done is made their bug tracking visible to us. You can follow the progress of an issue.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Cool! :)

Uwk