Freshly hatched player :)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Nidaren, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Nidaren New Member

Greetings Everyone! *waves*

I am a long time Lotro player and only checked Everquest 2 today. I was curious about the title for a long time, but unfortunately was too busy to commit for another game.

I downloaded it via Steam in the morning and surprisingly, I was unable to stop playing, hours flew by like crazy :) I must say I am very positively surprised about the super enhanced graphic settings (I was not expecting that at all). At first when watching youtube Let's Play videos, I was a little set off by the - how it looked at that time - out of sync combat animation and kind of slow response. Then I discovered the Advanced button in settings and all the sliders, after adjusting the animation to far right it works flawlessly ever since.

First I was planning to just play the game casually mostly solo, but seeing how nice the community is, I would love to check how guilds operate here. I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to propose any particular server to play or maybe some frinedly, small, causal guild that wouldn't mind new members? I am from Europe and initially created my character on local RP server but I do not mind moving over as well.

If I can also ask, do you know any up-to-date Begginers Guide, for people who are new to the genre ? (I tried googling it but I was unable to locate any sources beyond the wiki links).

Thank you so much for any information and I do apologize for any silly questions. I will be getting a monthly sub today as well. Do I need to buy any expansions now as I am still super low level, or is it better to wait a bit ?

Have a great day! *bows*

PS. Sorry for my English, I am not native speaker:)
    Heart margot likes this.
  2. Axell New Member

Hey,
    I started playing 1 month ago and here's what i can tell you.
    There is no real beginner's guide from what i could tell. You mostly go explore and find things for yourself.
    I'm currently on Freeport which is supposed to be one of the biggest servers. There are lots of people there.
    As far as expansions go. There is Age of discovery and Chains of eternity. You only need chains when you are 85 or so. Age of discovery is not a real expansion. You only need it if you want mercenaries( basically an AI companion that fights alonside you). With mercenaries it's easy to solo almost everything until high levels and they really help imho.

As far as questing goes, there is an optimal questing route.
    http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/The_Golden_Path
  3. mague Active Member

Europe has a local RP server ?

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Soloing_Timeline

But there is much more to know and learn. It is possible to do heroic content and there are some key quests you will have to do sooner or later. Like http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/To_Speak_as_a_Dragon Best is to leran from people.

I am sure you ll find a guild. No matter if Antonia Bale server or Splitpaw. If not PM me. I can show some stuff and help when online.

Edit: And welcome :) You need Age of Discovery if you want to play a beastmaster
  4. OverDoze Member

well ill agree with the suggestion to follow tje goldem path but as far as i see age of discovery cam be helpful speciallu low lvls because of the of use of merc yyou sbou can choose the merc best for u
    coe would be where your 86 starterung at the dov zonsz
  5. Kalderon Well-Known Member

For starting prupose, i would suggest, AoD. After getting to 86ish, CoE. Or just start with f2p :)
  6. SentinelBasch Active Member

Welcome to the game!

Much of the information for this game out on the web is, unfortunately, outdated. One of the SOE staff keeps a thread updated with useful links for the game, so that could be a place to start:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/eqii-links.4237/#post-41299

As others have said, you will not need the Chains of Eternity expansion for quite some time. The Age of Discovery expansion is more of a feature pack, that unlocks the following:

* Mercenaries for hire
    * The Beastlord class
    * Equipment reforging
    * Tradeskill apprentices
    * Dungeon maker

Mercenaries do make it easier to solo group content, but apart from that, you can get by without them. They are more useful if you've chosen a class with no healing skills.

I also just came to this game from LoTRO, and will never look back. You will find travelling around in this game to be so much faster - both swift travel and just traversing the maps themselves, which along with the enlarged mini-map makes questing much less frustrating and more fun. The game also has fantastic storage, both personal and shared, and you don't have to pay a penny for any of it.

If you have any specific questions, just ask, and I'm sure one of us can help you. Enjoy your time here!
  7. Nidaren New Member

Thank you very much for the summary on the expansion, very useful and informative! I will visit often, should I fall into any difficulties.