Freebloods

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Celestia, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Celestia Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm reading a Harry Potter saying when I read that word. Anyway, why are they so ugly? No offense to the devs, but the original vampires were sexy and cool looking. The half and halves look weird. Did something happen that made them that ugly, or did the devs just...not watch Dracula or Interview with a Vampire? (hehe)

(Though one could argue Dracula at the beginning of the movie is fugly too.)
  2. Twyla Well-Known Member

I dunno, I was able to make a female and male Freeblood that both look good (imho)...the female turned out looking more like a high elf and is downright pretty. The male well he didn't turn out so well. It really depends on the class they are playing; I think. Like the Aerakyn, the males look all mean while the females can look very pretty...the horns depend on the class, I think. It really depends on how the player chooses to create them and some people like running around with them showing their inner demons...those are truly ugly :)
    Khaticia and Pixistik like this.
  3. Celestia Well-Known Member

I've tried editing mine before and she still doesn't look very pretty (compared to say, the high elves) but then I guess they aren't supposed to then? I thought maybe it was partly a story thing.
  4. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Freebloods are both humans and elves who were transformed into vampires but have since gained their freedom (hence the names) from the vampire lords and masters who normally have the power to force their thralls into complete obedience.

You ask why they're ugly and don't look like other vampire races, well it's because they're Humans and Elves who underwent a horrific physical transformation during the forced vampirism.

Do you know the Myr'Dal, the morlocks who live in Mistmoore Catacombs? When you head up to the lower levels of Mistmoore Castle, you see both Orcs and Elves who end up as failed experiments because the transformation didn't take. Freebloods can charitably be described as successful experiments.
  5. Celestia Well-Known Member

Oh cool, I had no idea that. I knew they were part and part, I always assumed it was because of their parents being a different race. But what you said makes sense.
  6. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

i'm angry that we cant play as orcs to this day >.< i mean they are very old race.....and freebloods are still particulary young since they were made by experimenting with other races...
  7. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Orcs don't have the animation skeletons to allow for the sheer number of weapons and armors that everyone else is able to wear, and the devs have stated how insanely difficult it was just to *modify* the Kerran animation skeleton just to create the Vah Shir race, and creating a new skeleton altogether would take years on end.

From a lore standpoint it makes very *little* sense to allow orcs to become playable as well. They're one of Rallos Zek's creations, and their part of the Rathe's Curse was to stop keeping their own history, which splintered them into numerous tribes who were never able to reorganize into a massive force again. Even after the curse ended, the tribes still haven't been able to reorganize (even if they remain a destructive local threat), and it was only when the Hounds of Zek showed them how to be more powerful that they finally stripped Jaggedpine Forest of everything that even remained.

What tribe of orc would a player character be? Crushbone? Deathfist? Rujarkian? Ry'Gorr? Shralok? Bloodskull? Brokentusk? Lonetusk? Ree? Those four last ones are enemies of Freeport, so how would Freeport themselves allow an Orc to just come and go as they please? Lucan wouldn't allow it without said orcs intentionally subjugating themselves to his rule.

I know that there have been some passive Orcs who aren't immediately hostile, but most of them need you to further their own goals, and these individuals are by far an exception to the norm. Making a playable Orc race would mean that the norm itself means everyone else is suddenly cool with them.
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

there always need to be some bad guys that everybody hates, so you can fight and kill them, that's why there are so many undead in the game, and the void beings, nobody asked to have a playable shadowmen yet.
    I know people asking about Gnolls.
    Maybe if and when we get EQ3 we can have such races playable, because they can be engineered like that from the get go.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

The original orcs are player skel based.
    Schmetterling, Breanna and Twyla like this.
  10. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Oh, that's right-- some of the earlier screenshots showed orcs wearing the original leather armor, didn't they?
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

awwwww come on guys try it we can write the lore later.... >.<