Free-to-Play Silver member vs. Buying an Expansion

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Gulaep, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Good morning.

I recently returned to EverQuest II and am a Silver member at the moment. I had a question about buying the Tears of Veeshan expansion.

Since I am playing the game for free right now, or even if I do a monthly subscription like I normally do what exactly am I gaining by buying this latest expansion? How would it benefit me? Would I:

• 1 get Mercenaries unlocked so that I can start hiring them?
    • 2 get Tradeskill Apprentices unlocked (even though I have no idea what those are)? I am going to make a true effort this time to do my tradeskills so a Tradeskill Apprentice sounds like something I would like to have.
    • 3 get the Freeblood race unlocked? (EDIT: Never mind about this I guess this is SC only)
    • 4 get the Beastlord class unlocked?
    • 5 get Reforging unlocked?
    • 6 get the Dungeon Maker unlocked?
    • 7 get full use of the Broker (meaning selling)?
    I ask about getting any of these above because it says *this* includes Tears of Veeshan and all expansions prior except for the Age of Discovery expansion.

I already saw this page, Expansion Features https://www.everquest2.com/expansion-content but I am a bit confused. If we get access to all content as a free player (but not necessarily all features) if I do not gain any of the above then what exactly would I be gaining?

Content-wise I am not gaining anything right because we get access to all content as a Free-to-Play player correct? So if it's about features then other than the new Channeler class, increase in AA's and some extra tradeskill stuff none of that interests me yet as a level 22 of course. But if it also includes "all previous* expansions then I am assuming it also includes their features as well, right? hence the reason for my list above.

Thanks.

EDIT: For some reason this is not showing the bullet point icons in the thread so I edited to add numbers to the list.
  2. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

OK first of all, the latest expac doesn't unlock any of the things you listed. If you are after any or all of the locked content you listed, all but the broker are going to be AoD pack features. The broker itself, you can use if you buy broker credits on the Marketplace under Consumables.

The rest of the things you wish to unlock will be under the Features heading. The bundled set is of course cheaper than purchasing them a la carte.

Here is a link to the comparisons of bronze, silver and gold subscriptions. LINK

Tears of Veeshan expansion would unlock game content for levels 92-95 in the Ethernere zones: unless you are of high level tradeskill or adventure there's no reason to get TOV until you reach that tier.
    Avahlynn and Gulaep like this.
  3. napu Member

theres a couple of relatively minor reasons, you unlock the monk mercenary (although you still have to buy the ability to use a mercenary to use him), and i think the dragon aa line can be used a low levels.
  4. Sambril Well-Known Member

None of the items on your list are included with Tears of Veeshan, though it does have two addtional mercanries available (one quested, the other as a /claim item), you would still need the merc unlock to be able to use them.

1, 2, 4, 5, 6 were part of the Age of Discovery expansion and are now all sold seperately for SC in the marketplace, or as bundle for a discount.
    3 always was a seperate purchase in the marketplace, though it was given to existing subscribers at the time they were introduced (additional items such as the lair and mount were not included in that offer)
    7 is only granted with a subscription, though you can buy limited unlocks as as silver member.

Free to play only includes content up to and including the Destiny of Velious expansion, and game updates considered part of that. There have been two further expansions since then: Chains of Eternity and Tears of Veeshan. If you buy ToV you will also get the CoE content. Without these expansions you are limited to level 92.

The expansions are not really necessary until you begin to approach high level, adventurer or tradeskill, and you want to continue to level up your character and get access to additional AA and the like.

Tradeskill apprentices allow you to research recipes from level 10 up and for their level they are some of the most powerful items in the game. They do require rare drops to make.

Edit: Double ninja'd, I need to write faster :)
    Gulaep likes this.
  5. Ragna Well-Known Member

Most of your questions are about AoD features, so no you won't get that unless you buy them in bulk or à-la-carte.
    Freeblood is - so far - the only Marketplace race and isn't tie to any Xpack or membership level.
    You'll get full use of the Broker if you're Gold. F2P players can buy "selling tokens" from the Marketplace.

Free players don't have access to all the content. You can't access CoE (unless you bought the Xpack back in the days) or ToV zone.
    Assuming you don't already own "Chain of Eternity", you'll gain the ability to level past lvl 92 (to 95) thus earning more prestige points.
    ToV alone will give you new zones, access to the "Dragon" AA tree and 20 more total AA.
    Gulaep likes this.
  6. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the replies everyone, you've been helpful with your answers.

I have no interest in the "end-game" content since I will probably make more characters long before I get to level 92 so I guess I will just buy the feature pack instead of the expansion for now.

Thanks a bunch and stay warm and dry; it's cold and raining here in Arizona.

~~ Gulaep

Season 22 Half Elf Swashbuckler, Antonia Bayle server.
    Finora likes this.
  7. Ahupu Well-Known Member

What does cold mean in Arizona? Here it is in the low 20s right now and that still is not too bad, just curious.