Forum Avatar Wish List

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Dexella, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

So...2+ months later, has the Forum team opened the compiled avatars and started working on them?
  2. Caela Well-Known Member

Avatar selection is the same as from the forum launch. With only 2 female avatars.

I feel so disenfranchised....
  3. Foretold Well-Known Member

I still look like a guy rat. Seriously... you need a girl rat avatar.
  4. Lempo Well-Known Member

Ask yourself this (and answer honestly)
    Did you expect anything more?
    Yeah, yeah some of you are saying "negative Lempo" but it is true, they probably want to add some custom avatars, but that isn't going to generate any SC revenue so no manpower will be expended to make that happen.

The new forums are actually nice, there is a bit of quirkiness to them but the overall functionality is good.
    The lack of the avatars is a big minus, a forum avatars function is to give the poster a uniqueness, there are very few forums of this type that you can't customize your avatar.
    The lackluster choices we have available is abundantly clear, they are dull, tacky, some outright ugly so much so that most people don't even bother changing from the default. /serious

They couldn't possibly add enough choices to make the forums more vibrant, that is why somebody already "invented" custom avatars. /sarcasm
    Feldon likes this.
  5. Caela Well-Known Member

I was soooooo hoping that during the long forum maintenance yesterday that they would add some girl avatars.

But doesn't look like it. Not sure what they did during that time.

/pout
  6. Mae- Well-Known Member

I too was hoping yesterdays downtime would open up things like actually remembering me on my computer so I don't have to log in every time I close my browser, or custom avatars. But I guess those things are "so 90's" so we won't be seeing them.
    Karrane and Wirewhisker like this.
  7. VeilShard Active Member

That was the first thing I also checked today.. *grumpy face*
    Though I have a feeling the gnome female avatar will have that messy hair look, which I really dont want! Some of us gnomes prefer to brush our hair you know! (or at least 3 options for each race/gender)

But anything at this point would be good, even class symbols or anything random
  8. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what I expected. I posted that comment for a reason. :rolleyes:
  9. Lempo Well-Known Member

As did I post my reply....
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  10. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Exactly how time consuming would it be to tinker in a bit of coding to allow external URLs to link for the avatar image? Out of curiosity.
    IMHO, people should be able to put their own unique image in the avatar spot, but maybe with a "report image" button there or something, incase of bad bad things.o_O If external player chosen links are 100% out of the question, then the character headshot sounds like the next best choice.
    I gotta say, I'm pretty fed up with the same 4 or 5 popular avatars representing so many different people, especially when there are so few female avatars to choose from. Almost defeats the purpose of having avatars (or at least, I always assumed avatars in forums were there to identify people more easily.)
    Also, I loved seeing the artwork or humor that went into a lot of the old linked avatars.
  11. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

at the very least there should have been male/female on all the races.
  12. Caela Well-Known Member

From what I understand of *this* particular software, it's very difficult. It's coded so that you upload an image to the server, which opens up a whole new can of worms.

But, at this point, there is *no excuse* for not providing a larger variety of avatars.
  13. Lempo Well-Known Member

Xen Forums allow for the avatar source to be set to use gravatar for forum avatars. This opens up no "can of worms", the fact that we can't use custom avatars here is nothing more than pure foolishness.
  14. Beltar Blackhand New Member

A more robust selection of EQ2 PC mugshots would be nice.

My main is a male Iksar, but the only Iksar I saw looked female to me.
  15. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

would prefer a option to turn them off like the old forum had
  16. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

I just went to a contest for SC and think I see why there isn't a whole lot of choice for female avatars:(

[IMG]
  17. R.J. MacReady Active Member

Oh great ..don't you see what you just did.

Get ready for avatars on the market place.
  18. Mattius New Member

Even if they offered a selection of more avatars for a small amount of SC or something would be nice for people who really insist on a different avatar. I would really like a blue-skinned male Iskar btw ;)
  19. Lempo Well-Known Member

Well in case you are not already aware those clowns from Alaplayer/PSS.1 that SOE jumped into bed with last year ALREADY had forum avatars that you had to pay for clothes for, pay for accessories for and pay for 'premium' choices on those god awful, horrid forums that could only be enjoyed by someone on a heavy regimen of Ritalin.
    It has nothing to do with what I did or what I said, so regardless of whether it happens here or not it has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.
  20. R.J. MacReady Active Member

Wow ..could you be wound up any tighter. You should grab a piece of coal ..you will have a diamond in 20 minutes.

It was a joke.