Force Target's vs Unshakable Grip

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Estred, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Estred Well-Known Member

I run Grip in both my Raid and Heroic set ups due to 20% Ripost being nice and 10 WDB is good for the group. On fights with Force Targets this ability is golden. Except on the adds for the Ancestral Champions. Thier force-target curse still forces you to target. You can target off instantly with Grip running but the point is that the ability reads

"Makes Group Members (AE) Immune to Taunt Effects"

Last I checked a force-target is a taunt. It also makes you immune to effects that prevent you from changing targets. While this ability is up, I should have total control of my targeting ability. Yet I don't. To reproduce this issue be a Guardian/Berserker and cast Unshakable Grip while the Ethereal Adds are up during a Ancestral Champion fight.
  2. Daalilama Well-Known Member

I think its an issue of either one of the following: The adds/champions taunt lock ability is unavoidable no matter what (which sucks as a mechanic) or it's something I've seen a lot in pvp that taunt immunity gets bypassed eventually as if its only effective up to # many taunts (while the immunity is in effect...not the total spell as some have immunity that is short than the spell effect).
  3. Ebofu Active Member

This is how taunt immunity has always worked, I'm not sure why you are suddenly taking issue now.

It's just typical SoE semantics, the taunt immunity allows you to cast on other players while being taunted, its not the immunity to the target change itself, that is unavoidable in almost all cases by default.
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

I knew that Ebofu. I was making the point that if the Tooltip reads "taunt immunity" players will expect that "immunity to taunting effects" means they can't have their target Forced or taunted, which is untrue. This would be because that's how the aggro system works, Taunts force the mobs Target.

However, whats happening is that a player with Taunt Immunity is not immune to effects that Force Targets. This is a small distinction that isn't readily apparent. It is true that no class really can avoid Force Targets, only Epic Mob's can resist them.
  5. Ebofu Active Member

If they wanted you immune to effects that change target, that's exactly what it would say. There is a reason is says taunt immunity because that is the immunity given. You are immune to the taunt restriction mechanic and are allowed to change targets, exactly what it says, I still don't understand your complaint past you just lack reading comprehension.
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

Ebofu, I am saying what I believe other players may think. Many have stated mechanics should be more accurate. As I stated in the OP "last I checked a Force Target is a type of Taunt" this is what many think; though untrue. The difference is how it's mechanically calculated by the game makes it different from a Taunt, which is an action that effects the Aggression System, (Threat) either by a numeric value or by a position. Neither of which are done by Force Target Effects, though many have them as axillary effects such as Cry of the Warrior if you place AA into the Heroic Tree.

Granted one only has to use Unshakable Grip vs a Force Target boss to acquire this knowledge. It's not a game changing or breaking this but merely a thought on the Tooltip. Clearly though since were only discussing minor points about how a Taunt is defined in the case of this ability, no action is taken and quite frankly I believe this thread has ran it's course. The subject brought up by myself as the OP has clearly been answered.

In any case if anyone bothers to look on the Forums they will acquire the knowledge that a Force Target is not actually a Taunt Effect as it only Forces Target, it does not actually effect the Aggression System.