"Fluff" pets, what do they really do?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-StealthM0de, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-StealthM0de Guest

I am curious as I am hearing more and more that my pet "Fluffs". What does it fluff exactly?

I have never been able to find specific info on what it actually fluffs, so if anyone out there has any info please share. Otherwise I'll leave my bird in its cage for now.
    Message Edited by StealthM0de on 07-18-2005 06:44 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-littleman17 Guest

they dont 'fluff' they ARE fluff. You know those light weak things that float around and do nothing, like real life rabbits or squirrels. Innocent and unable to defends them sleves, you know cute and fluffy.
    But our pets do attack back if hit with an AOE attack, even though the attacks are rather pitifull, at left they try.
    Message Edited by littleman17 on 07-18-2005 09:15 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-coltlane Guest

Another way to use the pet is by reducing your hate with the target. Here is an example. I have an enemy that is agro and I cannot get behind to use my Sniping Shot. (It is standing with it's back to the wall, or something of that nature.) So I first park my bird where I want him to wind up, then I use Huntsmans Trap and sneak up on him. Once the I am behind the target, where I want to attack from, I hit Shadow, then wait. The target will take off running to the bird, and if I time it right I can get him to attack the bird, then hit him with Sniping Shot and 1 or 2 more CAs before he gets back to me. For the rest of the fight the bird will attack him (very little damage). It is not very useful, it may be a bug. (Fluff spells were not intended to be useful though, right?) The argument here is that Paladins have a 10% speed buff. Why not make them all useful? Either way it fits the roleplay perspective and I always have mine up when soloing.
  4. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Argh, this again?? LOL!! A lot of ppl seem to think they *should* do something. They don't. They're graphics. The float around and look cool and that's about it.
    Rangers in EQ2 are not a pet class. If you want a pet, play a summoner. :p
  5. ARCHIVED-Rahmn Guest

I smoke my mushroom pet. :smileytongue:
  6. ARCHIVED-StealthM0de Guest

Thank you all for the replies. I now have a better understanding of my pet.

I have seen it fighting before, I went to run from an encounter once and the pet had agro on the mob somehow. So its the AE spells the mob casts. That is useful info. And yes the pet would make a perfect target to set up a series of bow attacks with. I am going to experiment with bird agro now. 8)

One thing I did notice with the bird and invis is, if I draw near the mob with the bird in tow it kills the invis to ceratin mobs as they see the bird.
  7. ARCHIVED-Sulas Guest

I've never experienced that. Is it possible your level of Hunt isn't high enough to keep you invis to all MoBs? I ask cause I'm 29 and just snuck to Nek Castle with bird in tow and only saw one MoB ( a 28^^ x2) that would have noticed me(at the top of N'Marrs).
  8. ARCHIVED-StealthM0de Guest

I have had mobs in TS and Varsoons kill my invis with bird in tow. This was 27-28. I am 29 now and hardly use the bird anymore cause I am not soloing much these days.

But the rare occasion I do solo )zek boat ride quest in the crypt of betrayal before the patch today(, I have had the bird cause enemies to see me invis (they have the red around there names, then poof my invis is gone). This has happened a few times in the Crypt as recently as yesterday.
    My fans are going to every post I ever made and 1 starring it, gotta love that. Thanks fans.
    Message Edited by StealthM0de on 07-20-2005 10:55 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-IveDefected Guest

you may want to cheang your sig there stealthy...seeing as how you got booted from the guild...
    Message Edited by IveDefected on 07-21-2005 02:14 AM
  10. ARCHIVED-StealthM0de Guest

Dunno who you are but thats debatable...and why are you here on these forums about it?
  11. ARCHIVED-Fallnangel13 Guest

Funniest thing I've ever seen my pet do was when I was attacked in Rivervale. Whoever was attacking me apparently hit my bear. He was not very happy about that and chased them from the Drafling Tower area over to the blightrat area. I was laughing so hard I couldn't even hit the follow button! :smileyvery-happy:
  12. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

ROFL!! So your bear got poked in a hit-and-run attack?? So bizarre... that bear must've looked so ferocious that the mob just fled without hesitation, only to be chased across the zone. That's a loyal pet ya got there. ;)
  13. ARCHIVED-Fallnangel13 Guest

LOL! I have to say he did! He was running and taking swipes at the mobs as they chased my pally husband down the hill (gotta love that pally mentality! Take the final blow for the team!). I rather like having him around even if he is just fluff most of the time. :smileyvery-happy:
  14. ARCHIVED-Akakillaa Guest

one way to make them somewhat but not really useful, since the argument of pallys and SK's spell, is to make them be able to attack, if we send our pets to attakc and take the crit, it would allow us to do two things to give us a SLIGHT, and I mean slight edge on mobs, it would

1: take the initial Critical attack and maybe some procs away from us, any dmg away from a non tank class is good

and

2: it would allow us to get possibly not only one but maybe 2 back attacks done before the pet dies

Once again, not alot, but it could be the deciding factor in whether or not we live, i for one would like to see fluff spells not be game changing, but have somewhat of a minimal usefullness, otherwize, they just make the game lag and are pretty much pointless

just my 2 cp