Fix Summoner's Fighter and Scout pet.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Nayen, May 25, 2014.

1. Nayen Member

Any Idea when you guys plan on fixing summoner pets that have been broken for 3+ years? I've sent in bug reports, made posts on the forums and i've private messaged the developers. They all say the same thing that they are forwarding this issue to another person. Seeing as the fighter and scout pet has been broken for years I believe there is a communication issue.

All I am asking is for the melee pets to actually cast their abilities and not auto attack for 97% of the time.

The only abilities the melee pets cast are the ones granted to them through AAs, 3 spells in total. Other than that all they do is auto attack for horrible amounts.

At this rate just give us the ability to summon a melee merc free of charge to use instead of the melee pets.
  2. Nayen Member

I would love a developer to comment...
  3. Sudedor Well-Known Member

What makes you think that they would? They haven't commented on this issue since Rise of Kunark. In fact, they have pointedly ignored it since then. We even had a thread about this exact topic quite recently in the Mage forums.
  4. Ucala Well-Known Member

there really is no need for them to be fixed, other than to say that they are fixed.
    Even if all the pets served special purposes people more often than not choose a single pet to use 90% of the time.

there is also no need to give you the ability to summon a melee merc. just use the fire pet. it can dps, tank, and everything you want.

I hope they have better things to invest their time/resources in tbh
  5. Nayen Member

I mostly want my scout/tank pet for pvp/bg. They both have control spells that the mage does not have. The only reason that people use the mage pet all the time is because the other pets are broke. A long time ago, after the time when the fighter pet was the only viable option, I used to switch pets based on the encounter. I would love to have my options back.
  6. Qixil Active Member

Seriously, pets are a summoner's main definition (at least they should be?). To have 2 of the 3 pets broken seems ridiculous. So, if they won't be fixed, then maybe just have the one pet and give it a boost in scout/tank abilities. I don't know. Things like this make me wonder if it's worth it.
  7. Veta Well-Known Member

Would be really nice for the people who play on dead servers where there is only a small amount of time to pug, small amounts of pugs and even then most pugs are bad. Good to plan for another broken tank pet when the cap reaches level 100. Ill have my hotbar setup so when I hit 97 I can instantly remove it as it is a waste of time. It was saddening to get the scout pet at 93 and the 87 tank pet trolls it over with its amazingly low auto attacks and no dps. The tank pet does not even use its two taunts which have really low cooldowns. Just the 3 damage aas as Nayen stated: Minion's Mark, Fury of the Elements, and Blazing Conjuration.

Also Nayen the auto attacks are not a bad thing. A large portion of a scout's dps comes from his/her auto attacks. They do not have to make our pets as good as an actual scout, just as the mage pet is not as good as a wizard. At least give the pets the option to be viable. The bad thing is that the pets do not scale properly for the auto attacks to even matter, such as the scout pet. If the scout pet used only its abilities versus bad auto attacks you might as well still stick with the mage because it will deal more dps without the auto attacks.

To fix this problem they should just make antagonize share melee stats between the owner and the pet or just make the stats share over anyways and antagonize could boost the stats a bit or stay worthless. Antagonize is pretty much useless because which of our useful pets auto attack? Which nuke of ours doesnt use potency and is up more often? Tank stance is useless besides the 14 GM for pet SBs. The wisdom tree itself does not help. I tried to use the tank pet to tank some old contested epics, i.e. Honvar, Kod, Blaebody, Tantor, my auto attacks were ripping aggro and I was using the pet buffs and casts, EB and etc, to give the pet plenty of hate, while using ET to drop mine if possible. Even then, the tank was losing aggro aggro easily. When it came to Tantor, LOL, the pet took a 2mil hit because the mitigations of the pets are so low. They have almost no survivability in such cases even when aa'd to give them as much mitigation as possible. Looks very similar to raids when they have curses, or any other effect needed for the encounter, put on them on certain fights and just blow up almost instantly, bye reani... oh wait bye pet.
  8. Veta Well-Known Member

Fixed it, the before text was displaying cluttered.
  9. Alejo Member

My god I'm glad you're not a dev! I'm guessing you've never played a conji and if you have, it's been in the modern era where fire pet is the only pet worth casting. Yes the pets need to be fixed. Like Nayen mentioned, just giving them their abilities back would be a great start. The reason why we have 3 pets was for play-style variety and for them to be situational. I would love for my tank pet to be able to use it's abilities and keep aggro off me again. I would love for the scout pet to be the nice hybrid it's supposed to be with medium dps and medium tanking. Hell I'd be fine if the fire pet got a nerf to it's hp's and tanking ability if it meant the scout and tank pet were brought up to par.
  10. Treejay Active Member

i played a summoner from 05 til DoV, and i used the mage pet 99% of the time then too. soloing and grouping. even soloing heroics
  11. Alejo Member

I'm sorry you didn't experience the other pets. They're really quite nice when working properly.
  12. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The tank pet has worked better since the taunt adjustment, but it could definitely use some functional abilities.
  13. Ucala Well-Known Member

I mean I play a summoner and have for awhile. the fire pet will do whatever you want, no matter your playstyle as long as you know how to press buttons.
    the only real reason for fixing them would be saying it's fixed

as far as I remember the mage pet was used 99% of the time since atleast TSO.
    why have a tank pet that well actually can tank when a conj with half a brain can use the fire pet to tank and burn the mob faster?
    the fire pet these days (since for a long time) has filled every role a conj could want from a pet (tanking, dps).
    the only reason people thought tank pets were so good for so long was cause they simply didn't understand

if you are maybe talking about when the game launched the difference in pets, sure there was some I'd bet (I didn't play a summoner at that time). but then again, Everything is different then from the launch.

cause lets say they were fixed, why would people choose a tank pet over the fire pet anyway? if the fire pet can tank and dps. it just would be to say "oh the class is fixed"
    unless you do the nerf you said, in which cause you would be hurting conjs in a raid setting (nerfing HP, also would mean nerfing soulburn and your pets survivability)
    I have to ask, do You even play a summoner?
  14. Nayen Member

That is all fine and dandy for the conj pet since blazing avatar and elemental blast are cast from the pet which in turn gives it hate to tank. As for necromancers, i pull agro off my pet with auto attacks.
  15. Tabri Well-Known Member

Before KOS I did use the tank pet on hard named, I used the scout the rest of the time I never even used the mage pet. Since they broke the scout pet I have used the mage pet for everything now I dont even have the scout nor the tank on my hotkeys anymore. If you want a tank now you use a tank mercenary, if you want a healer you use a healer mercenary along with your mage pet. They should just get rid of the other pets especially the hydromancer which is the most of the useless and give us some AA abilities instead that are useful in our AA lines. Also Im kinda sick of looking at the same mage pet for years and years and ummm years.
  16. Alejo Member

I do play a conjuror and have continually since beta. I know a lot has changed since the game's inception, but to disregard and toss away what was the defining characteristic of a class just because it's broken is stupid. Yes there used to be a definite difference between the pets. I'm sorry you never experienced it. If you were trying to solo a difficult named or a random heroic in Antonica, you used the tank pet. Hell, there are still instances where I use a plane shifted tank pet to take the brunt of the damage. The fire pet has never been better at tanking than the earth pet, other than maybe a little bit now due to broken mechanics. Not every single fight is "OMG quick burn it down!". Some take finesse and the need to stay upright for extended periods of time.

We're digressing a little bit on the original topic however. Tank and Scout abilities are not casting. Please fix them
  17. Sudedor Well-Known Member

Yes, in the original game, all three pets were viable. I distinctly remember using my Scout pet while working through Runnyeye and for some of the stuff in Splitpaw. When DoF released, that's when we got the first of the AA trees, and that's when the Scout / Tank pets started lagging. By early KoS, it was all about the Fire pet, though there were a few select instances where the Scout / Tank would still show up, particularly when a Conjuror was soloing.
  18. R.J. MacReady Active Member

For the record, the game launched with just 1 working earth pet. The fire & scout pet were completely useless for the first 6 to 8 months. In all my years playing, the majority of the time all 3 pets had a role to play.

The conjurer class is at it's best and most efficient when all 3 pets are working properly in the roles they were designed for.
    Alenna, Music and Nayen like this.
  19. Sudedor Well-Known Member

That's not accurate, or at best, woefully misleading.

Kingdom of Sky was released in February of 2006 . . . not quite 18 months after the base game released. This was the point where the scale started tipping drastically toward the Fire pet. When you say things like:

You are saying things that are very hard to support. You are either implying that you've actually only played for a fraction of the time that the game has been online, or you are taking a small fraction of the use case as your basis or you're being inaccurate. This is very misleading to the discussion.

In point of fact, historically, the melee pets have been the weakest available to the Summoner classes for the vast majority of the time the game has been online. Yes, there were times when those pets did function "nominally" well, and there are still some uses for them at lower levels today, the situation remains that those pets are largely useless to the majority of the population.

I have no expectation that it will ever get fixed.
  20. Ucala Well-Known Member

exactly, ever since like TSO, KoS, the fire pet has been the dominate.

saying the class was cool when all 3 worked is like saying you remember gas prices being a quarter.
    the class can and still is the master of the elements even if you use fire 90% of the time. it doesn't change the class definition at all

with the conj stoneskins, the deathsave, and the extra deathsave, I would say if you know how to push buttons the conj fire pet can stay up quite well.
    conjs solo the HM dou zones, as do necros thanks to their mage pet tanking.

what you are talking about though is way way back when you needed a group to do blackburrow, I am sorry but times have changed, the game isn't a few months old anymore.

and still I hope the devs have better things to do then to fix something just to say it's fixed and help with the "definition of the class"