First time player, few questins!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Celerion Almari, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Celerion Almari New Member

Just bought daybreak all access.. how much content does that include for this game all of it except the last expansion? and also I dont know which I should play EQ 1 or EQ 2. ive played lots of mmos in the past but never these ones. Always wanted to try them though.
    oh and which server is the most populated? and should I play on normal or progression?

sorry for question spam, thanks! :)
  2. Sudedor Well-Known Member

EQ2, definitely.

All Access doesn't really get you much that you can use right now. Going forward, yes, when you get close to level cap, there will be things that will benefit you. However, keep in mind you'll still need to pony up for the most recent expansion if you actually want to reach the level cap.

The servers are about to go through a consolidation pass, which for you, means that pretty much "any" server will be fine because they will all be decently populated soon. (Basically, they are taking all the underpopulated servers and merging them on to a smaller number of servers)

I wouldn't play progression. That whole TLE thing never made any sense to me. It's the same content we have on the regular servers, just less of it since much of it is locked away. Play on the regular servers, progress at your own pace.
  3. Seefar Well-Known Member

If you're new to the game, I would definitely recommend the EQ2 'Time Locked Expansion' Player-vs-Environment ('PvE') server, because that way you'll actually be able to experience a ton of content that you will otherwise be encouraged to bypass. And as there are no guild halls for folk to hide in, you'll see the cities as they once were, bustling with energy!
    Celerion Almari and Eradani like this.
  4. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Well answer is depend on your taste ... EQ1 is bigger world .. really. EQ1 use to have a lot time sinks, EQ1 arguably give you more trill during raiding (in terms of complexity, strategy and overall excitement) Frankly I haven't raided in EQ2 for 10 years but back in time up to Kingdom of the Sky raids in EQ2 were rather primitive but I can't comment on how it stands now. EQ1 were a lot more hardcore... I still do remember raids like killing Ralos Zek in Plane of War ... like 8 hours none stop and coordination of like 64 people on it :)....
    EQ2 is GREAT don't get me wrong ... it great for casual gaming ... there is no pressure, easy travel (compare to EQ1), I dare to say much nicer questing system. EQ2, I believe, soloable/moloable (solo +merc) by practically any class ... EQ1 had much higher pressure for grouping. EQ2 a lot more player friendly - there is no such thing as corpse recovery (heh and I do remember in EQ1 recovering like 10 corpse from under Lady Vox (ice dragon))
    All in all - if you are casual gamers who want flexibility to play solo, group and occasionally raid (w/o insane time consumption) - I'd say go for EQ2 .. if you are hardcore games looking for end-game raiding with complex strategy and high adrenaline .. well EQ1 would be a choice
  5. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

EQ2 & DCUO
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

Of EQ1 and EQ2, I personally prefer EQ2 hands down.

I played old EQ1 from a couple months after it's release right up until EQ2 released, so I had spent a lot of time there. I periodically have gone back to play a little here and there, even tried their time locked servers and well, it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I have fond memories of some of the zones and raids and I actually really did enjoy soloing/duoing in EQ1 but EQ1 isn't so much a game as a second job even today with so many ways to make it faster. To be completely honest, despite having been a raider from early EQ days through Planes of power, I felt the raids in Eq2 actually had more feel of risk for me, if for no other reason that it was just you and 23 of your friends killing some big monster. You could get no outside help (like people used to do for almost all the POP raids). If you are raiding something current, everybody's performance matters. Don't get me wrong, I loved being the sacrificial ranger and pulling Plane of Fear, weaponshielding Dozekar while the shaman's debuffed him and all that good stuff but I still had SO many other people backing me up, I mean we had like 8 rangers alone.

In anycase, both are free to download and play. If you choose to get a subscription both will be covered under that sub. There's no real reason other than computer space and download time to not try both. I still have EQ on my computer =) as well as EQ2 even though I only very rarely get on there.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  7. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Yes I DO remember Plane of Fear and Plane of Hate first 2 even before PoP.... and my job as a necro (no jokes about twich-***** :)) ... summon all corpse after naked FD run to mildly safe spot on the wall and rezing cleric :). Do you remember raids on always bugged Lady Vox? ... I remember we ended up GM collected our corpses because that stupid overgrown lizard stuck in the wall... Seriously ... EQ2 raids (at least time including Kingdom of Sky) nowhere near in terms of trill and excitement ... Do you remember 2second CHeal chains? dealing with ring events during raid ... like Ralos Zek raid or always messy pickup raids for Plane of Innovation? :)... Raids in EQ2 at best were on level of killing old Naggi (Nafagen).... But once again it been more than 10 years and I have no idea regard how complex raiding nowdays in EQ2
  8. Celerion Almari New Member

thanks guys, ill play both x)
  9. Sudedor Well-Known Member

While I think that trying both is a good idea, I recommend that once you decide which you like the most you dedicate yourself to that. Keep in mind that the populations of these games are concentrated heavily at the "end game". This means that you'll have very few people close to your own level until you get very near to the highest level available in the game - called level cap.

Playing both will severely delay your arrival in the areas and content where the majority of the game population resides.
  10. Eradani Well-Known Member

but it's not all concentrated at "end game" on TLE servers, not yet anyways.
    Seefar likes this.
  11. Sudedor Well-Known Member

You've missed the point. Splitting time between two games will without a doubt leave you perpetually short of finding the bulk of the population in any game that features leveling and item progression.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

It ultimately will get to the point if you want play casual or as a second job :) ... EQ1 will not tolerate if you can't dedicate many hours for raiding or better say EQ1 much bigger time sink compare to EQ2. Or let say questing in EQ1 you WILL face many hour camping some uncommon spawn (heh I remember slaughter sand giants in Desert of Ro to get that stupid named for uncommon drop to complete quest for boots with SoW) ..... You won't see such things in EQ2 (and that is giant plus ... trust me) The only 1 thing (imo) EQ1 was (and possible is) generally superior over EQ2 is diversity of content and end-game raiding.
  13. Seefar Well-Known Member

With respect, I think it's you that misses the point. Most folks have alts. Personally, I'd rather the game mechanics didn't actively encourage them, for the very reason you give -- it splits the player's time. Do you take your own advice? How many alts do you have?
  14. Sudedor Well-Known Member

I have plenty of alts . . . but I had NONE until I had my main to end game. It isn't as if you are leveling all your alts simultaneously. You level your main first, and get to end game. Why? Why do it that way? It's simple, because that's where the content and population are.

For someone with no characters at end game, a new player for instance, that should be your initial goal. Get a character to catch up to the population.
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

Eh, I always play new games to have fun first, not play keep up with the Joneses but that is just me. If that's what you enjoy, go for it just don't assume that is the "right" or "best" way. That entirely depends on what someone wants to get out of a game.
    Enoibia, Chocoholic and Moonpanther like this.
  16. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Well we know all - end game have its merits ... as well as journey to the end game ... That's why people peoples have alts :)... Personally I am really enjoying RoK while leveling my warlock I intentionally lock myself at level 77 so I am not missing any interesting quest line.. I also have a coercer level 70 .. .him I will probably level mostly in Looping Planes following to Yakesha Moors - thus with 2 chars I will cover very broad content that I missed. But if I look on EQ1 - options would be a lot wider. So I'd join with other posters in advice - stick with 1 game but if in the beginning you wish to check both it might be not such a bad idea