Fighter Threat...

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Xierce, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xierce New Member

Can we not get a threat generation mechanic that is tuned more to our strength stat? As a raid guardian in a mix of 1st and 2nd tier raid gear there shouldn't be any reason I am losing agro so much. I get that the Devs 'want' management of threat to be a game mechanic for DPS but I've yet to meet a DPS that is willing to do this much less a DPS that thinks that mechanic is fun. Tuning threat to our strength stat would allow for a more balanced situation and still make sure that no one is auto-pilot tanking. I know that there were claims that the strength would affect our aggression a while back but at the moment it really seems to be an adjustment that has no visible effect.
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

I can say as a Guardian with a mix of Potent/Energized Gear I almost never lose hate even on ToV-Raid Bosses. What are you're stats at?

Are you capping hate mod with Dirge/Coercer?
    What sort of damage are you averaging?
    Do you rotate your Taunts in your combat rotation or just spam them (this is semi key actually)
    Do you know how to use your Aggro-Tools properly? Surprisingly many Guardian's do not and many don't know how Recapture Works.

Just a few questions to get started. The Adjustment made a huge difference nearly quadrupling the threat some tanks were outputting I know I noticed a difference. In fact the Adjustment only made Taunts actually use Hate Mod as they always should have (imo).
  3. Xierce New Member

I'm aware how to play my guardian and when to use my taunts. That's not what I'm questioning. Any fighter that knows how to hold agro knows that taunts are not the defining factor in holding agro in this game. It has never been a problem prior to this expansion. The damage has been greatly increased for the DPS in this expansion and the probability of a DPS pulling agro has therefore been greatly increased as well. This isn't a question of holding agro most of the time. I'm not constantly chasing down mobs. But as a raid geared guardian there shouldn't be any reason I cannot keep full control of my target at all times. The recent patches have greatly increased the taunt amounts and I'm happy with that but as I said that's not the only factor that ensures constant agro. In any case if you are not experiencing this then I have to assume your raiders are not pulling off the same kind of DPS. This isn't a post to get into a discussion of how to play a guardian. This is a post to suggest a better way of controlling the threat mechanics in play at the moment. There are several tanks experiencing these same problems on my server at the moment and I've no doubt that these tanks know well how to play their classes.
  4. Rasttan Member

If a buffed DPS class puts out a certain lvl of dps, be it in raid or group then an equally geared and played tank should match that output with combined dps and tps they actually had it closer before they nerfed threat output back down. Now the balance is off again. If a dps is topping 10 mil on AE pulls then a tank should have the same capability if played well, and geared right to match that in dps/tps.

Likewise when a dps can hit a mob with 70 mil damage in 1 shot, there should be an equaling threat ability on tank classes

Sony doest have it balanced as usual when it's so simple to do.

A great dpser should be able to be matched by a great tank with tps on equal ground
    Xierce likes this.
  5. nergalisafreeportscrub Member

Any fighter worth his salt can hold agro like a boss now..
  6. Rasttan Member

Thanks for the shocking, thought provoking, ground breaking insight!!!!!
  7. Unkel New Member

With your DPS set at 306 you may consider reforging at least 106 of that into Ability mod. At 1859, you are missing quite a bit of threat. AM works for all threat. You should see a significant increase in agro should you decide to drop down to the DPS soft cap @ 200 and move that 106 to AM.
  8. Ogdinmar Active Member

Hate seems to be just fine for me as well. TBH I run in focused offensive most of if not all of the time. Xierce I was looking at your EQ2U profile and with 32% hate base you wont even be at 100% hate mod with dirge/coercer hate. Personally I only use coercer hate, haven't used dirge hate in a long while. Getting to 100% though not req for some will help those who do need the boost. Just some other thoughts too maybe get rid of the 25% dps mod purples and go with CB or Pot that will boost taunt and ca size. If you really need to as well use the ring from Pickclaw Depths however I noticed you are running the wrath red rune on your shield so those don't stack. As a guard atm I use the Sig mount for the Strikethrough I wouldn't personally reforge into st.and I sit at roughly 40%. That combine with warrior end line gives me 100% when its active. I personally wouldnt reforge into ma on a guard you can flurry a good portion of the time. these are just some of the things I have done. Make sure to keep your gear/adorn/aa in balance with each other because worked right they can compliment each other very well. Again this is just some of the stuff I do that might help you. It may not based on play style. I do have a question whats your dps in raid looking like? (you can send it in a pm if you feel more comfortable)

@Rasttan im not saying this to be mean but a great tank can hold against a great dps. My guard can hold agro in raid and group just fine.

@Unkel the soft cap is 600 not 200 on dps mod. there is no reason not to run about 400+% self buffed dps mod
  9. Xierce New Member

It requires somewhere near 15000 ability mod to make a real difference as a warrior for threat and that would be ridiculous for us to focus on considering the other pressing needs of a tank. I'v tested ability mod extensively and I'm afraid at this time it's just not a good way to go for the warriors.
  10. Xierce New Member

Guys again, this post wasn't meant to be a fight over who holds the bigger stick. I can only assume that if you're not experiencing the problem I described your DPS'ers in raid are most likely not outputting the same level of DPS. I've been playing this game since beta and throughout all of the changes over the years I've always found a way to keep total control of my targets. This expansion is the first time sustained control has been a problem. I'm looking for a way to level the threat mechanic playing field against the super boosted DPS. Not sure what gear I was wearing when you were looking at my EQ2U Profile but I run at 44/45% self hate mod and over 100 in raid. I've done extensive testing of my dps stats at various numbers. I'm not worried about these statistics. I'm aware of how to read parses and know what to look for. Thanks again for the consideration though.
  11. Ogdinmar Active Member

Xierce you can justify it to yourself any way you want, my guilds dpsers put out a ridiculous amount of dps as well. Its not about who holds a bigger stick, I was offering info instead of being a ****** but I guess that got lost in the you want to complain. Its not a threat balancing mechanic issue. I am sorry to tell you that your missing something somewhere and your gonna have to find it.
    Estred likes this.
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

I'm with Ogdinmar here, my guild's DPSers put out up to 12 Million spikes and 6 million constants and I hold hate. I was trying to help you find the issue but as Og said, you seem more interested in spurning us to complain and insist that it cannot be you.
  13. Holyduke Member

Some great peeps here are willing to hand out advice and help if you will only listen. I would be happy to point out some improvements in your spec that I think would help. I have a raid guardian with out the same gear and it is rare I lose a mob to anyone but another tank. Would you like some friendly advice? Let work together so we all can learn and improve. Believe me I want all the helpful suggestions I can get.

Your first post was:
    My 2 cents, the guardian is very well balanced to handle anything including hate. We don't need something else.

@ Rasttan We have lots of tools to deal with this. Here is the list:
    1. Rescue
    2. Cry of the Warrior
    3. Sneering Assault
    4. Reinforcement
    5. Sentry Watch

Guardian guide: http://www.grenricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9908688&gid=60718&lang=
  14. Rasttan Member

I'm not a guard, and who said I couldn't hold agro? The original poster was talking threat generating. He's obviously not geared or set up correctly To generate enough tps to do his job.
    That doest change the fact that the classes designed to dps can put out much bigger numbers than the class designed to generate hate. Some classes don't get transfers or reductions that enhance how the tank controls agro for them. I'm talking threat for a tank combined hate generated and dps.
    If I'm equally skilled and geared and buffed then My threat generating capability should match there dps that's called balance. If on equal ground I suck and lose agro then it's on me.

This guy didn't post hey guards how do you hold agro he posted about threat, and it's not balanced currently at least on that part he's correct.
  15. Xierce New Member

sigh... clearly didn't read or understand my post... carry on...
  16. SOE-MOD-03 New Member

This thread is no longer constructive.

♥03
  17. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

They did read and understand your post. If you are going to come here calling for changes to a class, you'll have to back it up with more than 'cause I say so', which at this point, is all you're offering. The questions asked of you were not meant as insulting, any more than if you went to the hospital and said 'I feel sick', and the doctor began asking you what hurt and what had you done, when did it start, etc.

The people in the thread were simply trying to dig a bit and see what exactly they could find, to either help you fix the issue, or to see if there was lo and behold, a real mechanial problem with the class. They were investigating, not belittling you.

I've posted plenty of times for help on the boards, regarding class, strats, and what have you. Almost every reply I've gotten ever has been constructive and full of advice; people do want to help you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.