Fens fireflies are grey now - how to fix?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Katz, May 10, 2015.

1. Katz Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Both types of jar of fens fireflies are a light solid grey color to me visually instead of the previous red with sparkles. I've gone through the process of having it check file assets and looked at the item on more than one computer. Other house items look normal, including other red items and other sparkly items.

Is it just me, or is that item glitched for other people? If it is just me, any suggestions on how to fix this?

I've replaced the item in some areas and can replace my other ones, retire them, and not use them again but I really like them and hate to not be able to use them anymore.

Here is the item on EQ2 Furniture: jar of fens fireflies
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I have a few of them in my guild hall to light up my exit sign. They are still red. I crafted both of the firefly items and both are still red, nothing changed. I don't know how to fix your issue sorry.
  3. Katz Well-Known Member

Thanks, that lets me know the item itself is ok. It's something on my end I guess. No idea why this has happened. They used to look fine to me.
  4. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Excuse Me, Katz:

I would speculate you are experiencing graphics driver issues.
    Since you are using the same hardware, and have noticed their correct display in the past, I would suggest going to the website of your graphics card manufacturer (nVidia or ATI) and download the most current drivers for your specific video card.
  5. Katz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm set to automatically update my drivers, but I manually checked to be certain it was up to date and it is.

If it were my video drivers I think that it wouldn't effect just these two items but would have a wider effect. I think it must be something to do with those specific items.

I wonder if just a few specific item files can be broken on my computer? Is that possible?
  6. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

I'd try validating your game files from the launcher settings
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Is that the same as checking file assets? :-/

I wonder if it's related to the occasional hiccup where all the dark bits in New Halas, say, go bright white, or the default no-color/base-color; it's a pretty effect, but it's not right, and throws off things visually (doesn't stop me from grabbing a few screenshots of the even more wintered-wonderland ;->).

Uwk
  8. Katz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the cause. I've noticed the tuptan lights are also affected. I hope I can track down the cause.
  9. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Whom better would know how your video card ought function? The card manufacturer, or M$?

With automatic update service running, there is NO easy way to determine, critique, or limit what M$ sends you.
    They have been caught in the past sending "updates" to systems that have AU turned "Off" in the control panel.

If I may reiterate, seek your card manufacture's website, obtain directly from them drivers for your model card (not a third party site lite c-net's download dot com) and install the drivers and reboot.
    This should put in place the correct drivers, and potentially set your video card's configuration to its defaults....
  10. Merriel Well-Known Member

I have to support Ceyarrecks on this. I had some driver issues a while back, where Windows had automatically tried to update some of my drivers, only for me to find out that one of the drivers it updated was actually reverted back to an older driver. I've since turned off automatic updates of drivers and manually update them now.
    Niboota and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Katz Well-Known Member

I have an Intel HD Graphics 4000, Toshiba laptop.

So I've run into some difficulties with this. I went to Intel and got their Intel Driver Update Utility tool to check for the correct driver. The answer was "A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel® Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

So I went to Toshiba and put in my serial number and found the driver. The driver version number was not the same as the one on my computer. It was a lower number, so I'm not sure why that is. I'm updating it now. Hopefully its a better version.

Edit: I installed the driver version from Toshiba. I've also "validated game assets" multiple times. The two types of items still display incorrectly. Other items look fine.
  12. Sibelle Member

You might also try looking up the version you were using and the version suggested to see if there is any feedback from others using your driver with the version you had, having issues. I know a lot of times people will revert to an older version of a driver when a new one borks things, until another new one comes out that fixes it.
  13. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Microsoft is not the only way to auto update graphics drivers. I use an nVidia GPU and use their GeForce Experience software to keep my GPU drivers up to date.
  14. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

yeah, sadly, I know your pain well.
    Laptops rarely have dedicated video cards like Alienware laptops do, and what integrated chips they do have can barely be called a video card.
    That is the reason one can only get drivers from the OEM of the laptop.
    If you have been using a specific driver version that has not changed since you last knew the video looked correct, then is has been something in EQ that changed.
    If there is a different version in current use, then perhaps going back to the older version may resort your view.

I finished in last November rebuilding my Dell Studio 1749m laptop with a generically identified "Intel HD Graphics"
    I am using its "latest" or rather, Last, video drivers, since Dell no longer provides anything more current.
    which has always shown me video like the following:

[IMG]
    {and WHITE mirrors, regardless of EQ video settings}

yet on my desktop using a dedicated video card ATI Radeon 3450 shows me the following:

[IMG]

I hope restoring the driver version you had works,....
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Wo! In your comparison screenshots, Ceyarrecks, it looks almost exactly like the problem Katz was talking about? :-/

Uwk
  16. Katz Well-Known Member

Yes! That is exactly what I am seeing. Luckily I have a desktop that works much better but I use my laptop for completing the daily each evening while watching tv. If I can't find a fix for it, I'll just try and ignore their appearance or redecorate. It's odd how most items look ok.
  17. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Excuse me, Katz:

Albeit a bit late, here is a site for you to interact with your operating system to disable the updating of your DRIVERS via M$ Update.
    How to stop Windows 7 automatically installing drivers (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2500967)

Samsung was in the news lately for them chagrining M$' propensity to change Samsung installed drivers with theirs, so they disabled M$ Update entirely (talk about amputating one's arm to remove a splinter in one's finger).

Were you able to fix your driver concerns otherwise?
  18. Katz Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. No, on my laptop certain things still don't show up correctly. However, on my desktop everything looks fine so I've just decided to not pursue a fix for the laptop. I only use the laptop for crafting while watching TV, completing the daily for the loyalty token, or for checking the harvesting pony and goblins. It isn't powerful enough to do any actual questing. If it was my only computer to play the game with, I would have been more persistent with looking for the solution.
    Geden and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.