Female Races for Guardian

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Gabi, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Gabi New Member

Hello!
    I have a female barbarian Guardian and I purchased the change race token because, well I prefer something a little less "butch" I picked the barb at first because I thought it would be a good match.

I am wondering though,if any one can help me in deciding which race to choose. I have some thoughts, but I'm torn...
    I would LOVE to have the nightblood as I think that would be different, and hopefully fun, not frustrating.
    I am also concerned about the arch types of the races, does this just change the way she looks to everyone or am I going to have to go through all the changes, based on the race traditions and whatnot and will she lose anything from the changes?

I have a (betrayed) dark elf, and a human, and a kerran, but some of the other races just don't appeal to me. Could anyone maybe help me out some and toss out ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Samoya, The 70 Barbarian Guardian
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

I'm a Sarnak but then again it seems only certain people enjoy paying Sarnak/Iksar though I love the females of both races in terms of looks.

Sarnak are big.
    Iksaresses have those pretty frills :D
    Mermut likes this.
  3. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Which races don't appeal? Then we can get a better idea of your sense of style and likes. :)
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

Mainly which race you pick shouldn't majorly change how the character performs. Any race can be any class, with very minor benefits for playing certain class/race combinations. So don't be afraid to pick something based solely on looks.

That said, I tend towards races that get tracking, because its useful for non-scouts. The races that get tracking are Halflings, Kera, and Wood Elves.

While tracking is nice, I think you should "make a new character" and just play around with the different races to figure out generally speaking what you would like. Unfortunately you won't see what they look like in plate armor but you should get a much better idea that way than you would just asking. Oh, and quit out of making a new character when you decide which race you want to switch to.

One thing I'll say is height matters some. As a barbarian your camera gets placed higher than it will if you decide to be an elf because of the character model. As a tank, that comes in handy. It isn't a game breaker, but if your use to the camera angle it might get a little frustrating when you get mobbed and you can't see the rest of your party. It isn't like its hard to move the camera (constantly), just its one more thing to get use to.

Also large races feel like they are moving slower, small races feel like they are moving fast. They actually move the same distance, its just the animation for a large character doesn't move as much to cover the same distance. Even "walking" gnomes usually use their run animation because they are that small. If you max size an ogre and use the racial ability to grow larger that larger form will appear to be moving very slow.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

<---- plays a 22' tall Sarnak. Makes targeting SOOOO easy :D
    Finora likes this.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

Race pretty much doesn't matter for much other than aesthetics. Stat wise the extremely minor boosts one gets from racial traits don't matter much if at all in the endgame.

My paladins are a fae and wood elf. Targetting can be annoying on the fae if there are lots of things around (I have to pull the old EQ1 enchanter trick out and start clicking feet). My guardian is a ogre, my berserkers are barb, human and half-elf and don't have much issue targeting with them. SKs are half elf & iksar, also don't have any real targeting issues.

If height is a concern, there are items that can 'grow' smaller races. My darkelf (not a tank) has a cloak that has clicky growth and she ends up at least as tall as humans when it's on ( think taller but it's been a while since I compared).
  7. Ratza Well-Known Member

The alternate appearance of the barbarian female is butch....doesn't matter what hairstyle or how to set the eyes/chin/nose, etc option they all look more male than female.
  8. Gabi New Member

Thank you all for your input on this, during conversations with a couple guild mates, I decided to go ahead and take the leap getting the Freeblood I like her alot, just haven't messed with traditions or anything yet.
    any Freebloods out there who might be able to give suggestions on how I should go with her. Keep in mind she is a Guardian, but I do tend to play mostly solo with my characters, sometimes I do get into groups but usually it's only one or two people since she is like 70, most my guild mates are already in their 80s and 90s so I would not be able to help them much.
    Again thanks for your responses and any help you might be able to give me on the Freeblood's traditions and whatnot.
    Samoya, the level 70 Freeblood
    Katz and Avahlynn like this.
  9. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Glad you found a race you enjoy! I know nothing about Freebloods, but I did wanna wish you happy hunting and fun!

Ava
  10. Axterix Active Member

And half-elf.

They're usually pretty straight forward.

Let's see:
    Attribute:
    No str, no stamina, no point.

Combat:
    Bloodletting - lifetap proc, handy. Get that. The best of the lot.
    Supernatural Speed - 2% more multi-attack. Doesn't mean much at the higher levels, but more than nothing.
    Puncture Wounds - a bit more piercing and ranged.

Non-combat:
    Eternal Youth - more out of combat power regen. Could be handy, especially if you tradeskill.

Resists:
    Get both.

Pools:
    Bloodthirsty - 2% more health, also want.

Tradeskill - if you tradeskill...
    Unflinching Focus - 2% more progress (the handiest of the lot for long combines like the weekly).
    Dark Perfectionist - 2% more success chance (handy early, not so much later)
    The Alchemy or Sage one if they match your tradeskill.
    Graceful Assembly - if you a point left over