Female Iksar Biology Question

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Zabjade, May 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Your Strange Cusa.
  2. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

[p]Interesting Question :)[/p][p]I know that folks have gotten creative when such things have been left un-named (as is seen by a rather interesting article on Iksar anatomy). Maybe do the same? Probably the closets you're going to get to some explanation.[/p][p]What about the name of that frill that that one lizard has.... I think Australian Native Species? The name of it escapes me.[/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

I don't know, although I do hope for Vhalen to toss a bit of lore in on this, it seems right up his alley, or Ripjack's. would make fanfiction and rping easier.
  4. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

5. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Ahh cartilage I didn't think they had bone, so Cusa doesn't have to worry about the blood filled Tissue grossing him out. :roll: :)
  6. ARCHIVED-Deadrus Guest

I really like what they Did with the art on the Iksar Females. In eq1 i couldnt tell male and female iksars apart. I think the females were slightly smaller. I made a female iksar by accident and then when I found out i was female I deleted the toon and remaded it into a male. The Female Iksar in eq2 are fantastic. The only thing I dont like about the iksar is what we dont have many scale options. I mean untill soga we only had 1 and it was on a page of character creation where there should have been choises and none of the iksar i saw in eq1 had yellow next and tummys. The Iksar are my favoite race. I'll be an iksar in EQ3 and 4 if they still keep makeing new eq games. I really liked your scetches of the female iksar. I enjoy biology topics. I've always had some intrest in science and biology. I just never really liked it enough to wana major in it.
  7. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

[p]Among Reptiles and Amphibians that have the same, or similar, part in question is called a Frill.[/p][p]Speculating that they are displayed for intimidation reasons is not so far fetched in my opinion. Iguanas that have them, use them to make them appear larger when threatened. We all remember the frilled dinosaur from Jurassic Park, same thing.[/p][p]Judging from physical attributes of the Iksar, the females do look less intimidating structurally.[/p][p]Also, I would say that they are made up of tissue and cartilidge. If there is bone in them, it is probablly not jointed to the skull.[/p][p]Perhaps they may also serve predatory and survival uses as well acting as ears would to conduct sound to the tympanic membrane. Would come in handy when looking over a brood.[/p][p]As far as mating uses go, I have no idea what the iksar consider attractive. Size, span, movement, length, or maybe they arent attractive to them at all and are only kept for their functionality.[/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

[p]Frill or a hood yup, but, I want to know what the Iksar call them. I know they are not crest, as both genders have an option for one of those on top.[/p][p]Never argued the intimidation reason, just figured that in a sentient species it could have many more functions in expressiong emotions etc.[/p][p]Yeah cartliage seems to be the favored I did note in my pics afdter making an Iksar on Test that I had the placement off on the frill's supports.[/p][p]Most reptiles have ears just hidden under flaps of skin, not sure of snakes however.[/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-PsiaMeese Guest

Good discussion. Thank you.

While composing a bio for my own Iksar female, to be read by those who examine my toon. I included this:

"Along both sides of her neck lay flattened fans. If you see her in battle, these become aroused and extensible, giving her a rather threatening appearance. As she becomes more seasoned, she will be able to back up this dramatic effect…"

At the time, I was unsure what to call the fans. So I find these details extremely useful.
  10. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

[p]/sigh[/p][p]No dev/Vhalen response yet?[/p][p]:cry:[/p]
  11. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Bandorn@Venekor wrote:
    Nope, none yet. I think it has to be a hot topic or something that Vhalen has a prior interest in before we get any answers, or, even more questions. ;)
  12. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

[p]You know a Frill would have to have at least an Iksar name to it ;) the fact that it is solely on females, (and possible vestial versions on males with XX DNA but I won't go there lol ) makes me think it is a developmental female secondary characteristic. Not cannon but this is how I would draw the diffrence between an adult and a child female iksar.[/p][p][IMG][/p][p] [/p][p]I don't know how long the image will retain this address so I'll also post the page. [/p]
  13. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    Hello Jar Jar.
  14. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Jar Jar can't pull the look off, Female Iksar can and make it look sexy! :thumbup:
  15. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    Not only that, but rip his danglies off and shove 'em down his throat :D
  16. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

<jarjar>Mesa swear, you give one guy emergency powers and youza never hear the end-of-it!</jarjar>
    now that we have JarJar out of the way, what do you think of the look on Iksar females?
  17. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    I think they look like Jar Jar.
  18. ARCHIVED-DocFlareon Guest

The Iksar of EQ2 look worlds better than they did in EQLive. Let's all be happy for increased computing power.
  19. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

[p]Naw, Jar-Jar had eyes on stalks, no tail and no scales, he was also not representitive (Other then in the senate) of the Gungan race but was an outcaste for a time. Anyway the ones on the EQ2 Iksar are shorter and uglier (and thier bodies are somewhat blocky too) [/p]
  20. ARCHIVED-Jindrack Guest

I love your take on the young female sketch and long frills on the mature ones!
    The female iksar frills are called "frilliks" and have a few uses.
    1. Intimidation. Kunark is a harsh environment and the female iksar tend to be smaller than the males, making them more attractive prey to predatory creatures. These help the female look more dangerous when threatened.
    2. Thermoregulation. During egg production the female iksar body temperature can fluctuate considerably. The frilliks help the female to more easily dissipate heat by cooling the blood in the many small blood vessels of the neck when needed.
    3. Pheremones. The female iksar have a pheremone gland behind each ear. The frilliks can be used to fan the pheremones into the air.