Feedback for Devs from new player.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Solid11, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Solid11 Active Member

So I wanted to give my feedback on what it's like as a new player to EQ 2. I'm not new to Everquest or MMO's in general but new to this game. I have leveled to 95 and maxed out gear and AA as much as I can solo. So I decided to try my hand at tanking in this game for the first time tonight since playing. I have to say this was my first group ever also. Not my first time tanking ever since I have played that role for many years in other games.

To say the least it was a nightmare. There is no opportunity for new players to practice instances at all let alone practice their role prior to ToV expansion. Everything is solo and rush up to the new expansion so there is no one that wants to group up to that point, so when you want to start in the social aspect of the game and learn a bit more about your role you are quickly kicked to the curb if you don't know everything about everything. Even as I was up front about my experience in groups it was a nightmare. There just is no room in this game for new players which will eventually kill the game. If there is no chance for new players to learn except in the newest dungeons then EQ 2 is doomed to fail. I really like this game but there is clearly no room for new blood, and the old will dry up. BTW I come from 12 years of EQ 1 and 8 years of WoW as a tank. Not that it's not heard of over in those games but it was just amazing how much new players are hated in this game. Thanks for listening to my feedback.
    aspekx likes this.
  2. WafflesnCyanide Member

I only started a couple months ago, and i haven't as of yet encountered anything like this. I have two level 95 Adventurers (Warden/Troubador) and two level 95 Crafters (Woodworker/Sage). When i started it was a bit rough, But i did have a friend helping me out with the learning curve as it is fairly steep compared to the other MMOs (But that's part of why i like it)

People were very nice to me once i reached 95 and when i entered my first group on my warden i was definitely worried. However the group that i was with was very understanding and quite helpful.

My Troubador was not quite as steep of a learning curve, more of a difference in playstyle so that one i was able to jump in quite readily.

I haven't had any experience tanking in EQ2 as of yet. But i do plan on working up a tank in the near future.

My suggestion to you would be to find a Guild, preferably one that has some veteran members who can ease you into the mindsets of EQ2 as they are MUCH different than WoW. Plus tanking is quite gear dependent in any game, so that may have been a factor as well.

Hope this helps and you have better luck in the future!

(If you're on Oasis i can try to help a bit, look up Talashar or Forpart)
    Finora likes this.
  3. Lucus Well-Known Member

I'll also point out did you talk to anyone about recommended gear, AA spec, and adornments? this is why it is important to have a guild to call home, people for you to socialize with on a regular basis who can share information about game mechanics and your class.
    Finora likes this.
  4. Malleria Well-Known Member

Tanking in EQ2 is pretty easy after you've got it all figured out. The problem is yes, there's a ton to learn about tanking specific to EQ2 and no, pick up groups generally aren't willing to help. Because so much relies on the tank in EQ2 groups I never suggest it as a first character to new players.

A better working dungeon finder/group maker would help, presumably making sure tanks had some kind of hate assistance (dirge, coe, transfer etc). Until then you're really at the mercy of finding people willing to help. The forums here can offer a lot of help with tanking too.
    Feara likes this.
  5. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Wow, sorry you had a bad go of it. :( that sounds really disheartening and disappointing.

What server are you on, and maybe if you are comfortable with it, link us to your eq2u profile? People here have been really good about helping me understand my class aa and set up.

Hang in there and don't give up on us yet,
    Ava
    Feara likes this.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

If you are in a decent guild you will be able to group with guild members who won't mind teaching you what you need to know to perform your job.

I will say that if you didn't group at ALL until 95, that is a large part of your problem. I'd fully expect anyone's first group ever to be a total disaster if they made it all the way to 95 before doing it. ESPECIALLY if they are a tank or healer. And having that first group to also be a PUG? Ouch.

I do think you are wrong about the hatred of new players. New players aren't hated. What is hated is when people rush to 95 and end up grouping without knowing much about what they are supposed to do with their class. By 95 in TOV content, people expect other players to not be completely wet behind the ears.

In lower levels, you might not get full groups but often you can get one or two other people to go through zones where you will be able to practice before you hit 95 & try to do TOV zones. There is just so much to tanking you can't learn solo.
    Mermut and Charlice like this.
  7. Charlice Well-Known Member

It would be better to have your first few runs with your guild (if you're in one) than a pick up group. If you're not in a guild, join one. I just don't think pick up groups are the right setting for a tank to learn a new instance.

It has nothing to do with players 'hating new players', in fact I think that's rubbish. More players is always good.
    Most players though, as wrong as it is, expect the tank to know the instance no matter what or how new it is. I think that pretty much goes in any game you play. Did you run the zones as Advanced Solo first?

Also one bad group does not sum up the population of EQ2, and if any player hasn't had at least one bad group experience, I'd be surprised. I'm still getting over a dirge in a group telling me 'lol I don't have a rez, I'm a scout', and that was years ago.
    Feara, Karrane and Ranga like this.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

@Charlice I think the OP was saying he wasn't familar with tanking in a group, at all, not that he was unfamilar with the zone. I've tanked zones I was unfamilar with. I was upfront about it and it worked just fine. Somebody in the group explained the fights and it worked just fine. Having the tank not no the zone is no worse then not having the healer no the zone. It is only a problem if nobody knows and/or nobody explains the zone.
  9. Alarra Well-Known Member

This is a sad story, unfortunately not uncommon. I start lots of PUGs and some people are absolutely ruthless if the tank or healer is not up to par with the zone.
    For instance, a few weeks ago I had a tank that didn't know the zone(nexus), he may have been new, but he didn't say even when asked. Anyway, he wouldn't listen to the group (probably information overload) and everyone started getting frustrated and some of them started to send me tells others started to voice their issues in group chat. Eventually, we go for a group 2 min afk and after that time we continue with the zone, the tank suddenly stops. He's not LD, he doesn't say he's going AFK. We stand around for 15 minutes. After much deliberation I kick him from group.
    I would have loved to have helped the guy out, however other group members were not as understanding as myself and it ended up that they, for whatever reason, left the way they did.
    I personally try to accommodate new people and help them out, but I can't stop other people from being jerks other than to tell them to tone it down in a tell.
  10. Charlice Well-Known Member

Aye, which is why I'd suggest he run with a Guild first. Most people, or maybe it's just me, look to the tank like they're some sort of god or something.
  11. Lucus Well-Known Member

Everyone runs into a bad group or a player that hasn't mastered their class or has the wrong attitude at some point.

You can remedy the players so they become good at or master their class, you can't cure those with the wrong attitude unfortunately.

I have a guildie that's newly minted 95 and since he is the same class as me i have been giving him advice, tips and ideas on AA specs and have given him adornments to help him out.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

The first group I tanked a zone I didn't know with was a PUG. I knew how to tank, but even though I didn't know the zone, it wasn't a problem because I told the group before we zoned in so people were ready to explain the strats.
    Charlice likes this.
  13. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I think his point is that its bad game design to pretty much require grouping near end game when 80% of the game is set up for solo streamlining through the levels, guild or no guild doesn't make a bit of difference.

It is a poor design.
    aspekx likes this.
  14. Charlice Well-Known Member

It's not poor design, it's a 10 year old game. And that is why we have insta 85's. They're a good way to get to end level, but 10 levels imo, isn't enough to learn a class especially if you're either new to the game, or MMO's. Most new players now couldn't be bothered leveling through 95 levels, they want end game and they want it NOW, and then they wonder why they're clueless about the role they're meant to be playing.

When the game was new we didn't steam roll anything. Most of the solo mobs we see now were once heroics, most of the content required a group.

Being in a guild, if it's a good guild, does make an incredible difference. You have people to group with, you get to know their playstyes, you wtfpwn stuff and you're never at a loss for a group or help.

And require a group at end game? Why? Hire a merc, run advanced solo's. You won't solo raid zones, but if you're not keen to play with other people, why would you want to?
    Athenia, Ranga and Estred like this.
  15. Snowhaze Active Member

You definitely aren't alone and it can be very intimidating, but I would recommend sticking with it, its a GREAT game. I've been back a little over a year and like you, I pretty much soloed/duoed/moloed my coercer, inquisitor and monk up to max level and then started grouping and what a world of difference it is for every class, especially tanks and healers that are relied on more heavily for smooth grouping. In new zones, I'm always especially gun shy about tanking for the first time.

A few weekends ago, after gearing up with all the best advanced solo gear I could get (mostly full 4/4 yellow gem gear), I joined a group as my tank and though we died many times, the group was insanely understanding and helped at every opportunity. I think we did 4 different zones that afternoon. Even when I offered to let them find another tank for the final boss in Halls after a few deaths, they stuck through it with me and finally after many deaths, we triumphed. It was an awesome feeling and I was extremely thankful for the group and the people and I remember thinking to myself, hey, that was fun and I guess I can tank more often. A few of them even left me with: You can tank for us anytime!

Fast forward a week or two, I join another pickup group. Even after letting them know in advance that I had never done Sanctum in a group and was unfamiliar with the bosses (I knew the zone from advanced solos), without a word after the first death on the 3rd boss, they kicked me from group. While I was trying to figure out if I accidentally got booted or something, another tank popped up in front of my face and I was booted from the zone, talk about humiliating and humbling. I think they just expected me to know it all the first time or were in a big hurry.

A grouping tank was lost to the server that day (for better or worse), I swore that I would not pickup group with my tank again. Just yesterday, a group I joined had to disband after not finding a tank for 15 minutes of searching, a couple of groups were looking for tank at the same time. Luckily I'm in a guild where we have enough members ready to start grouping the high end zones who I know will understand and be patient, so I will just group with my monk in guild groups (and you should find a good and helpful guild as well), at least until I have a lot more experience under my belt. I'm certainly not woefully undergeared for the zones, I just need a little more practice and knowing what to expect http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/867586063678

Its definitely hard to break into this game as a high level grouping tank, I've seen lots of people recommend that tank not be your first class, its always a little easier to do something once you've seen it as a class that is not as heavily relied upon for keeping the group alive. We all want more people on the server so there are always more groups for everyone, but for those with a short fuse and impatient and always expecting the tank to burn through the zone, remember when you berate someone or kick them from group instead of helping them, you are likely dwindling the pool of available players down the road.
    Karrane, aspekx, Feara and 3 others like this.
  16. Rotherian Well-Known Member

tl;dr - Don't be a d-ck*; the group you save may be your own.

* That's duck**....yeah, that's the ticket. :p
    ** With apologies to Errrorr, of course. ;)
  17. Veeman Active Member

If you are new to the game, boy did you pick the toughest route. Tanking in this game, like others have said, is not super hard. IF and I repeat IF you have prior experience tanking, you have a good guild that is willing to go with you and let you learn to many, many deaths and hopefully one of your guildies going out with you also happens to be a tank. If you are new to this game, I can only practically beg you to find and join a guild. There are several out there that are casual guilds that love grouping and welcome the challenge of teaching you and helping you learn how to play your toon. Good luck.
    Athenia and Ranga like this.
  18. Feara Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. It's real. Don't give up!

My Brother is the best tank I know and it has taken him years to learn every boss, every instance. I love how he never ever gets tired of explaining the game plan before we go in. I never get tired of hearing it because I know new players are learning.

Solid11 you would be a dream come true to my Brother. He has looked high and low for the right tank to train so he can take a breather and play his many other toons. There has got to be more Guilds out there in the same situation. Don't give up!

Anyway like all the other righteous players have said, the right Guild and the right mentor is all you need.
    But... that's the hard part.

What they need in this game is a better way for people to meet. A better way to list wants, needs and desires.

Carry on righteous player and the very best of luck to you.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  19. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Respectfully I disagree, it doesn't matter if its 10 or 20 years old its still a poor design. Its still a fun game, but the OP is correct in what they have seen/experienced, I have heard a few other people say the same thing without using the exact words.
    Personally I liked the old game, I dont know what keeps me here tbh, EOF was imo the last really good expansion and they have painted themselves into a corner since then.

They still have plenty of fun stuff to do I guess, it has a good community (probably the best in gaming) but after all these years I still cant bring myself to go all the way to 95 adventuring, if I ever manage to get there it will be from helping others level up in SoS or something like that but thats ok by me because there is tons of content to do at all levels of the game,
    aspekx likes this.
  20. Charlice Well-Known Member

I just mean by that, that due to the age of the game the player base is very top heavy. We can't roll new toons now and expect to get unlimited groups for Stormhold or Blackburrow or even The Estate of Unrest. When the game was new we did, and often.

Hence the insta 85's. I can't imagine that many players would expect to get groups all the way from level 1-95 anymore, it just ain't going to happen. I don't like the insta 85's but I think it's a good marketing decision on their part due to the low number of players in the lower levels.
    The only corner I can see that's been painted is the level increases, some people like leveling and moving on, some do not.

Anyway no matter how you spin it, having one grouping disaster, and claiming we all hate new players, is just a bit dramatic imo.
    Ranga likes this.