Febuary better than November?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Meirril, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Thinking about the DoV and the AoD launches, I think I liked the Febuary launch better.
    The November launch got pushed back into December. That put it right in the middle of the busiest part of the year, in and out of game. In game there was Frostfell to compete with the new expansion features. There was also the Erollisi return's event to compete with. Then there was all the real life holiday and family events to compete with. For me it was a no-brainer, Frostfell lost out as I've done everything in it to death for the past 6 years BUT I probably would of enjoyed Frostfell if it wasn't competting with AoD for my play time. And this was a features only expansion, it would of been worse if more new content has been released at the same time!
    DoV launched as Erollisi day was winding down. As long as a new expansion launches on the second week or after Erollisi day is over it won't feel like Erollisi day is getting trampled on. And if the launch gets pushed back there arn't any other major in-game events to get in the way.
    If your worried about the marketing aspects sell a redemption code from the SoE site for the expansion. I think people will be happy enough with receiving a pre-purchase as they would be with buying the actual expansion for the holidays. Start advetizing it in October, and start selling the pre-release codes on Nov 1st. That would perty much be at least 20% better than what was done for AoD. Marketing for AoD was very late, especially considering that the launch date was pushed back from "sometime in November" to "early December".
  2. ARCHIVED-Felshades Guest

It's not about pleasing the customers when it comes to release dates, its about pleasing the marketing and finance departments.
    They wanted to release before SWTOR to compete with it. They didn't want people bored with EQ2 to go there.
  3. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

Felshades wrote:
    Between Beastlords and F2P launching 2 weeks before SWTOR is probably the smartest thing SOE has ever done... and we all through they weren't smart at all. I guess they showed us :/
  4. ARCHIVED-Nink Guest

I suspect SOE will stay with Nov/Dec so they can launch during the festive season when lots of gamers are on vacation plus people will purchase it as a present.
  5. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Is there any Info about the February Launch (aka GU63 ?).
    I mean, it's just a few weeks until Feb, so there should be something out like, Tests, Betas, general Information ?
    Regards, theriatis.
  6. ARCHIVED-Zepor Guest

theriatis wrote:
    Calling it now, February's big release will be...

Wing-graphic flying mounts. For SC.
  7. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

I wouldn't be planning any vaction time until closer to the end of March ...
  8. ARCHIVED-darwich Guest

i agree with the OP... there was just wayy too much to do all at once with the release of the expansion, frostfell, real life holidays,,, normally it is a balance between real life and frostfell, this year it was WAY to much to stomach, and i sort of shorted my frostfell adventures this year:(
  9. ARCHIVED-ShinGoku Guest

Meridia@Crushbone wrote:
    So they rushed out a joke of an expansion which contains no content of its own and had less meat to it than most of the GU's we have had? Also slapping a truly redonkulous price on it to further the insult of it?

Champion on Smokejumpers part methinks....
  10. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

ShinGoku wrote:
    What, you don't think $13.50 was a fair price? While I do think 13 bucks was a good deal, I wouldn't exactly call it redonkulous.
  11. ARCHIVED-Rayne Singer Guest

The expansion was $39 and yes, ridiculous content...to ridiculous considering there was no content in it..so I didn't buy it. From a marketing perspective the November release date did make more sense. And for players with lots of holiday play time, that made sense too.
    Now, though I didn't buy the expansion. I did enjoy the Freeport revamp. But, yes there was way too much going on. I was half exploring and doing the Freeport quests and half way doing the FF stuff and never really accomplishing anything.
    Now that the holiday is over I've had time to explore and do the Freeport questlines. IMO they did a great job on that. The quests, though difficult for an average geared and spelled squishy toon, they were entertaining, showed some imagination and good story to them. And that new content I didn't have to pay for any expansion.
    I am greatly disappointed that this AoD expansion appeared to be all about the money. I know alot of players are loving their beastlords and all the warder pets they have..but it has not gone unnoticed by the players that alot of very cool warders have been taken away from them. And I suspect as do these BL players that the coolest warder pets will end up on SC. I hope that doesn't happen. You've got cool mounts and armor and prestige homes..sure go ahead and have SC warders. But give that drake warder and the others you took away back without making these BL players pay SC. They could be part of cool quests to get them maybe.
  12. ARCHIVED-MrWolfie Guest

Nrgy wrote:
    Yeah, 'cos I'd have just implemented Norrathian Lightsabers instead of wasting all that time on BL.
  13. ARCHIVED-Gilasil Guest

Meridia@Crushbone wrote:
    At least in my case that was not necessary. I actually did go over and play SWTOR for awhile. I got sick of it's cartoony graphics and gameplay which wasn't any better then EQ2 so I'm back here.
    I kind of suspected I was going to be back. I didn't cancel my subscription or anything.
    Skyrim took me away from EQ2 far longer then SWTOR.
    Oh and by the way, I think AoD is great. Love the mercenaries. Love the beastlords. If it doesn't have new zones I consider that a fair price to pay.
  14. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Hi,
    is there any new Information about the Content Update for GU63, which should come in February ?
    Is there a Beta-Server for it ? Will the Test Server get the GU beforehand ?
    Regards, theriatis.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

theriatis wrote:
    Yeah, it's not coming in February. lol
    It got pushed to April.
  16. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

I was never going to be February and some knew that the moment those words left SJ's lips.

theriatis wrote:
    It's anybody's guess on whther there will be a Beta or not and if there is going to be a Beta who will be included and how extensive it will be. I can tell you right now, that there "should" be a Beta to test the new armor tier and Heroic zone progression, but I fear we have seen the last of the community testing scenario formerly known as Beta.
  17. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Nrgy wrote:
    You knew this at Fan Faire? Why didn't you tell me?
    Also not getting the "will there be a Beta?" questions. It's a Game Update. Game Updates briefly appear on Test and then go Live where the more widespread testing begins.