Fast-Kill Instances

Discussion in 'Conjuror' started by ARCHIVED-Manii Names, Dec 15, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Manii Names Guest

I need to preface this with the fact that i normally play a defiler or other support classes. My conjuror is the first serious pet class I have ever played, and I am looking for some advice on how to keep the pet active as much as possible. I have yet to play my conjuror much in instances with them, as I have primarily been questing / soloing / occasional grouping my conjuror up towards L90 so as to learn the class well.
    I group with my friends and guildmates a lot when running instances, and we kill things very rapidly. Our primary tanks for this purpose are either a Zerker or a SK, and they use giant mass-pulls. In such circumstances how do you go about keeping our pet working? Since the pet is a massive piece of our DPS, it has to keep attacking as much as possible.
    1. The obvious method is /pet attack. However targets can die extremely rapidly and then the pet stands there until I have it start up again.
    2. If I get in close and get AoE'd then the pet triggers if I have defend me set, so that's one way. Standing close also helps with Earthquake. However I also take damage / stilfes / stuns / etc from those AoE's, plus I could (theoretically) draw aggro and die.
    3. I could make a bunch of /pet attack macros, tied in with my nukes. I think this would work, however... If my pet is in the middle of casting a spell and I command it to switch targets, does the spell finish or does it abort?
    Thank you for your advice. I've really appreciated Xalmat's guide, and the feedback I received on my Small Conjuror Gear post.
    - Primordial of Unjena.
  2. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

I am a "keyboard" player . . . this is to say I cast my spells using the keys on my keyboard, as opposed to using a mouse to click the abilities.
    Given this, my method of keeping my pet working is to put my /pet attack key on my very first hotbar. I use the minus key. Whenever I am casting a spell, I've sort of trained myself to hit that key while the cast bar is up. Thus, I'm constantly pushing my pet to attack whatever I'm casting on.
    I believe some folks like to create macros out of some of their more commonly cast spells, such as Crystal Blast and Fiery Annihilation, which include the /pet attack command.
    I simply prefer the more fine control to the macro effect. With the macro effect, your pet will ALWAYS attack any target you cast those spells on. For me, I will sometimes leave my pet on a main target while I nuke/kill an add. Thus, I can simply NOT hit the pet attack key that I use and my pet will obligingly continue to work on the target I stuck him on while I help out on the other target.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

I do what Banditman does. I trained myself years ago to make effective use of my /pet attack hotkey.