Fare Well

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd, Mar 14, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

Entry the Last
    The fire is out, the moon is down
    The parting glass is dry and done
    And I must go and leave this town
    Before the rising of the sun

Long’s the road, and many the mile
    Before I rest my soul again
    With girls who weep, and girls who smile
    At all the words and ways of men.

I’m hanging up the ol’ chainmail; temporarily, for now, but likely to become permanent. All things have their lifespan, and my interest in EQ2 is in the ICU with the family members clustered around talking in grave, quiet voices. I’ve signed up for a creative writing course, and something has to go, and it’s Everquest. It’s possible that I’ll come back when I realize that I need another demanding, goal-directed hobby like I need a smack upside the head, and if you’ve got opinions on that latter issue just keep ‘em to yourself. But, I doubt it; I haven’t even run one MOTD in the new expansion, and you should listen when the universe is trying to tell you something.
    It’s been a great ride. I’ve enjoyed being Whysprr for a time, even if she’s a rather strange passenger to have sitting in one’s hindbrain, wandering the roads of Norrath with weapons for the revolutionaries, grumping about the state of music today, drinking just a touch too much wine, and making moony-eyes at the local paladins. But I’ve deeply enjoyed this online community, both the friends and guildmates I’ve had in-game, and those I’ve met and made here on the message boards.
    Back when I finished playing Gemstone, I was signing off for the last time with a fine friend I’d made in that game, and she remarked that it felt like a ‘little death’. Now, that term has ambiguous provenance. Those of you who’re classically educated or who, like me, just read way too much for your own good, are doubtless aware that the French term ‘la petite mort’ refers both to sexual orgasm and to the blissful state of post-coital relaxation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_little_death). And that is NOT, I can say with fair authority, what she meant.
    But, it does feel like a little death to leave EQ2 behind. These online characters are an odd mix of the real and the imagined; what we are and what we wish to be and what we might be and what we’d never really be but what the heck. They do live in some sense, the way characters do in any story, so leaving one behind feels like losing a friend.
    The world is changing profoundly in strange and hopefully wonderful ways. Even fifteen years ago this sort of ad hoc online community simply didn’t exist, and now it’s commonplace; a collection of people from the whole world, united by common interests and a common dread of Whysprr’s next blog posting.
    Lord knows where I’m going with this, except to say thank you to everyone who’s read, appreciated, agreed, disagreed, or even flamed me here. And to remind you to keep this community; within the game or on the boards, or whatever, a place to be proud of. Educate the noobs, let the trolls die of malnutrition; think twice before you flame, and if you have to flame, do it with style. Listen more than you talk, and ignore trite advice.
    Go well.
    Whysprr

But some there are who may not bide
    But wander to the journey’s end
    Nor take a girl to be a bride
    Nor keep a man to be a friend

When I’m done with wandering
    I will sit beside the road and weep
    For all the songs I did not sing;
    And promises I did not keep.

‘The Parting Glass,’ copyright by JB Goodenough.
  2. ARCHIVED-greenmantle Guest

In the predawn hours between night and day
    the new Moon graces the sky.
    Shining down her soft light
    from the slight sliver which is her "Beginning" face.
    The balance hidden in shadow...
    not so unlike me.

New beginnings... revealing only small parts of myself,
    the remainder lies hidden in the safety of Shadow.
    Waiting, slowly passing through cyclical phases.
    Gaining bright confidence as days pass.

Learning new ways to shine, guided by gentle strength
    which reaches out to softly caress and reveal ever more.
    Quietly smiling from the touch.

Slowly, ever so slowly turning to face this bright stranger, who,
    like the Sun casts welcomed light upon me... and in so doing,
    I grow larger, more revealed... until...
    in the warmth of sweet night,
    I will shine fully...unshadowed,
    inviting all to see my fullness revealed.

~pale Wolf~

Thank you for your insight your wisdom and your humor Eq is a little less today but i smile at your new beginings.
  3. ARCHIVED-aloevita Guest

/humble
    I find myself devoid of words in the presence of two very eloquent bards.
    Whysprr, you've made an indelible, positive impact on the dirge community culture and myself. Wishing you much inspiration as you embark on your creative writing course.
    Thank you for all the cultural contributions and refreshing humour that you've spiced our boards with.
    In sorrowful songs,
    Mayia
  4. ARCHIVED-firza Guest

take care out there Whysp
  5. ARCHIVED-Ssrith Guest

May the road rise to meet you [IMG]
    May the wind be always at your back
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    The rains fall soft upon your fields
    And until we meet again
    May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Take care and Best wishes
  6. ARCHIVED-kreepr13 Guest

To bad to see you go. You will be missed much.
    Your time and knowledge you have provided is much appreciated Thanks for your time and help.
  7. ARCHIVED-uchulayi Guest

oh gosh!!
    i wish you well in all you do whysp
    thank you for your inspiring words and advice =)

take care
    xx
  8. ARCHIVED-Hechicera Guest

Whysprr@Kithicor wrote:
    I don't know you, I think, other than reading your posts here. Gemstone was not a large community, yet, I am constantly astounded by the quality gamers I meet in later games that I learn were fellow Gemstone alumni.
    Take care and fare well,
    - another ex-Gemstone player
  9. ARCHIVED-TumpieBrell Guest

Thank you for your contributions to the class. Your posts were enjoyable to read and very informative, and helped me a lot as a new Dirge.
  10. ARCHIVED-Neferrah Guest

Fare well, good luck, and thank you for your contributions.
    V/R
    Ssue Prano
  11. ARCHIVED-eqaddictedfool Guest

Bye Whysp. I've enjoyed reading your posts quite often and believe you helped bring in a sense of style to the dirge class that the Troubs lack. Farewell whysp and have you ever looked into eq2harmoney.com Maybe a couple palis there for you? But who were you fooling? You only bring the palis home to meet mom and dad but when the parents have all gone home you date an sk.
  12. ARCHIVED-Kall Guest

Hechicera wrote:
    I used to play, too.
    The Rift was hardcore...
  13. ARCHIVED-Artalis the Elder Guest

I tried to compose something proper, but words fail me.
    Or perhaps I fail them...
    Safe travels Whysp, all the best.
  14. ARCHIVED-GreenArmadillo Guest

Sorry to see you go, Whysp, your posts have been enormously helpful to getting my little Dirge off the ground (well, she's a fae, so she already was slightly off the ground, but you know what I mean). Take care!
  15. ARCHIVED-ssumthing Guest

Whysp, your most excellent FAQ and input is what made me realize I was truly a dirge at heart, not a troub. I betrayed, and I never looked back.
    I ALWAYS enjoyed reading your informative and friendly posts, and I will miss you greatly. I wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors... creative writing is right up your alley! I hope you'll still stop in and say hi to the dirges that have hung on every word of yours since the beginning. I am truly saddened to see you go.
    Best of luck, always..
  16. ARCHIVED-Shadowinajar Guest

Bye whysp, thanks for your work.
  17. ARCHIVED-Vincenzo Guest

Looks like I got here just in time to see you leaving Whysprr.
    A big thank you for all those posts and all the time you spent for the Dirge community. You will be sorely missed.
  18. ARCHIVED-hispania Guest

Fare Well Whysprr. Hasta la vista.
  19. ARCHIVED-Elifin Guest

I wish you well Whysprr, safe and happy travels /wave
  20. ARCHIVED-Cracklepop Guest

Can I have your stuff?