Fan runs all the time

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Grouse, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Grouse Active Member

I have a new Dell computer that has a fan that starts immediately after I start EQ2, It Starts before I get to the login screen and doesn’t go quiet until I log off. It immediately goes quiet on exit.

If I don’t exit cleanly, the fan keeps on running until I reboot.

I uninstalled and reinstalled without making any difference.

FYI - It runs LotRO, SWTOR, SatisFactory, and No Man’s Sky without any issues, and definitely without making fan noise.

Any ideas on what may be happening?
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  2. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

I mean if your not doing a proper exit, the game is probably hung in the background.

Open task manager (crtl + shift + esc) check is eq2 client is running there, and force kill it.

TBH I used to always exit the game by force closing through task manager, to avoid the insanely intrusive browser pop up advertisement you get when you exit normally (when not subbed) Seriously that needs to be removed.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  3. Grouse Active Member

That deals with the problem after leaving the game.
    Now, if only there are a box to check somewhere that would deal with the problem while playing the game.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

what is model name of your laptop dell? what is percentage of each processor core being used by process created by game (can see this in Process Explorer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer show for us it in screenshots [IMG] [IMG] )? if one core is mainly used, is it 100 percent used all time*? are there any other intensive processes running during game? сurrently for safely work is to set game settings to maximum performance. perhaps need to purchase quiet and powerful laptop cooling pad https://www.techradar.com/news/best-laptop-cooling-pad it will cost you $45 on an amazon..
    (disadvantage of this game is (in comparison with other, more modern games) that its code works for single-core, not multitasking processors, because this is an old heritage from Sony.. for rewrite its code again and at same time rewrite it for 64-bit systems requires very significant financial impact (possible with number of players as on wow), especially for subsequent parallel testing before hypothetical transition of all servers to new version of code)
    *-because there are options for redistributing load evenly across processor cores for single-threaded applications and their implementation depends on driver of particular processor
    ====
    cheaper option - put your any fan in room so that it blows and on laptop and drip little silicone lubricant for treadmills into internal processor cooler (peel off and stick sticker) and it will make less noise. also blow dust from within laptop (i use an electric garden blower for this) laptop case can be easily opened with an unnecessary plastic card, but this should not be done if manufacturer's warranty for laptop is still valid. in general, asus laptops are better suited for this game than dell
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you aren't paying a subscription, you should have to see the popups. You made a choice!
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

Why?
    If the choice you made was between 'play ftp' or 'don't play at all because I have no income' why punish people for it? There's nothing like rubbing people's noses in their problems to generate goodwill ... No income = no sub and no amount of obnoxious advertising is going to fix that. And if you drive them away completely that's potential cash shop revenue gone.

FTP has more than enough other restrictions in place to frustrate a player that would like to sub and can't, without adding this totally unnecessary in-your-face mechanic. And given the current state of the game ftp players are at least contributing by simply being here to bolster the dwindling population and thereby helping other (subbing) people to play.

Carrots, not sticks.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you go down to the car dealership and argue that they should just give you a car because you have no income, they would just laugh you off the lot.

You get what you pay for. In the case of FTP players, they get a LOT more than they pay for.
    Breanna, Juraiya and Ra'Gruzgob like this.
  8. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

:confused: i.e. is this also true if ftp spends all his time in this game in second and third tiers for many months? and his greatest toon (on live servers) has not yet reached lv 70? and for sake of justice he should pay for subscription by playing two or three days month for three to four hours? yes, he mayhap gets too much, so much so that buying subscription also seems strange to him.. so it seems to me that you would be more objective in your assessment if you used term "120lvFTP".. although of course [shrugs] you have long history in this game to allow your own emotions to be presented as an objective opinion.. and i would perhaps even agree with you on this issue if i understood what you are saying in voice chat :eek:
  9. Tkia Well-Known Member

And quite rightly, since I've never come across a car dealership that actually offers free to drive cars or is in competition with another one that does.
    Which I believe is what I said. DBG offers this service and documents some of the restrictions that go with it. What they do not document are the borderline bullying and harassing advertising techniques that are used to try to achieve something that is quite impossible for many people in the current circumstances. Nor does anyone ever mention that they are likely to be treated as second class citizens by other arrogant members of the playerbase.

Sales and marketing 101: if you want their business and money when their financial situation improves then treat your customers with respect rather than as a pile of dirt. Otherwise that money will be going to a company that earned it.

Actually, I have an idea. Why don't we kick all the ftp players off the servers tomorrow and then see how long it takes the rest of you to find your next group? Or even another player in the zone you're crossing ...
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  10. Grouse Active Member

Sigh... Can we take this pissing contest to another thread.
    I am a subscriber who can't play because my brand spanking new computer is too noisy.
    I would sure like to find out why.
    Juraiya and Ra'Gruzgob like this.
  11. Grouse Active Member

According to the Task Manager, with the "Daybreak Game Company Launcher" running, CPU & GPU are less than 10%, counting all the background processes.

According to "Process Explorer" and "System Information", there is a minor spike when the launcher start, which basically drops to nothing.

Meanwhile the fan is roaring...
    This is without even clicking on the Play button.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  12. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

:) ok i'll help you. press either F2 or F8 or Del when your computer boots up (when you turn it on). thereat is such thing - it's named either BIOS or UEFI. So - there should be an item in menu - cooling or cooler control or something like that. Just remove automatic selection. Set to manual mode.
    And save your settings when you exit. i just wanted to make sure your CPU isn't overloaded to do this. i liked your word "pissing" ..so i'll try to help you..
    but if you are interested in answer to question why is this happening to you? i'm afraid you need to start plucking one hair after hair from your beard and ripping it in half each time saying "why?" (seriously, write to your computer manufacturer and ask them this question there)
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

fully approve this idea :rolleyes: . there are too many interesting things in the world for someone like me to get upset about it. but i think everyone will benefit to make sure. let's see what will happen and what will come of it. my opinion is that at best this whole farm will find new owner (hail to Xi Jinping). so there can be some sense from this "pissing"..
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Grouse Active Member

Very interesting. Just cleaning up things, I used the Task Manager to kill a bunch of background processes that I didn't think should be running, They had nothing to do with EQ2, but the next time I tested EQ2, it ran perfectly! If it happens again, I'll try killing them one by one until I can identify the culprit.
    Breanna, Ra'Gruzgob and Juraiya like this.