Family group healer - selection choices

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Rhinok, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Rhinok New Member

Background -
    DAOC Midgard healer
    WOW vanilla paladin/Druid healers
    SWTOR operative (hots with diminishing return resource sorta like channeler)
    EQ2 inquisitor (mid 50s back before mercenaries)

So...looking to possibly serve as "raid healer" for a 5 person family group.

No intent on raiding or end game at this time. Highest "goal" would be mythical weapon quest lines...

Considering what class would be well suited for this happy go lucky group (teaching kids to MMO) as an EX top line raider who min/maxes like woah...

Thoughts? I didn't like Inq way back when as I did nothing but stand there...but that was a while ago..

I like challenging classes that a great player can do awesome things....but I do need a class that I can afford to be distracted by a baby from time to time :)

Considered Fury and Channeler at first, then thought on other things and....

My main role in the group is quest lookup and map directions ;)
  2. Luzionist Active Member

Warden, brings best heals and alot of group buffs along with solid dps
    Mermut likes this.
  3. Arieste Well-Known Member

druid is the way to go. warden is great choice atm from any perspective and even if you dont plan to raid or do hard content, the extra travel portals are nice for getting around and doing those epics!
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

As you don't really care about end game atm, any of the melee healers would be great ( or fury if you like to cast damage). That would be inquisitor, mystic & warden for the melee priests.

Both druids are currently sitting pretty at the high end, but the differences that make them so great at the high end atm are negligible at everything lower.

Mystics are my personal favorite but that's based on how much I really enjoy how they play rather that game strengths. Druids of course have portals which is hugely convenient though. Of the two druids, wardens are my favorite.

I will say any priest that is just sitting there these days is not doing their job very well though, so no worries with that so much anymore, even with templars and defilers.
  5. Jjeorge Member

I disagree with the druid suggestions. PROVIDED that you only go to the stated goal of level 80 content for mythicals, I'd go with a Shaman or Channeler, if you really plan on being the wiki slave.

The damage and health pools of current content are what makes druids shine, but before that, the Shamans are still kings for heals, I'd say, coming from the standpoint of a progression guild that just moved to 90.

Unless you're doing content that you expect to take awhile, and you don't have an enchanter in group, I'd go with a Mystic so you can smash things when you need to as well...

The main perk of being a Defiler these days, at least before myths, is it's pretty much impossible for you to run out of power, but if you're not doing content that's really way above your level, or has some sort of power drain, there's no reason to not play a Mystic.

Channeler provides the learning curve you desired, and can probably do a lot of impressive things, if they're played well, with the added benefit of not being stigmatized if and when you move up to top end content... Just keep in mind you'll want needles nearby for your eyes at the earlier levels.

EDIT: Finora types faster, had to change stuff for it to make sense. :p
  6. Arieste Well-Known Member

I very strongly recommend against a low level channeler. Channeler is nearly useless in terms of heals without their prestige abilities. And this is from the perspective of someone that's levelled two channelers to 95.
  7. Pixilicious Well-Known Member

I would vote druid too, I have a channeler and their epic is not doable at 80, while most other classes (except beastlord) can all get even their myth these days easy with a few ppl in VP. Channeler is lvl 90 and their myth needs a raid to do. Warden epic is one of the bests imo though.
  8. Ratza Well-Known Member

Druids...either one is a good choice...or inquisitor/templar....I think shamans are really lacking in this xpac.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

That is the key, this expansion, as in the TOV content. Everything prior to TOV shaman do just fine in. And by the time this group of folks get to 95 and TOV content the next expansion will probably have released and who knows what class changes will happen by then.
  10. Rhinok New Member

Yea...the caveat of not end game content - both adventuring and levelling, makes it hard to decide...

Zip 85
    Bang End Content...

Well I prefer ranged over melee
    I prefer being able to buff group to the teeth
    I prefer to be able to tank and dps and heal! ( wouldn't most of us )

Currently group setup is SK, wiz, necro, warden/assassin
    (I haven't joined in yet - son switched to warden from assassin which sparked this conversation)

I could heal and let him go back to assassin
  11. Jjeorge Member

Oh, that group is very caster oriented! As far as buffs go, with that group Fury would be awesome, just that assassin would be out of place.

Fury is also caster DPS, so no meleeing necessary. You won't be tanking anything as a Fury really, but you can certainly DPS and heal... Just be prepared to be very anger at your blue bar. >.<
  12. Rhinok New Member

Yea....knowing that at max level XXX is awesome and never runs out of mana is nice but....
  13. Arieste Well-Known Member

Something is gonna have to give...

Healers that do ranged damage:
    Channeler
    Defiler
    Templar
    Fury

Healers that "buff to the teeth":
    defiler
    inquisitor
    mystic
    fury
    warden

healers that dps very well:
    fury
    channeler
    inquisitor
    (warden and mystic too)

healers that can tank (none tbh):
    inquisitor (inquis has plate + melee dmg, so probably cloests to tanking, but really no healer can/should tank).

Based on the different things you want, if you're willling to give up the ranged thing, go Inquis. If you're wililng to give up the tanking thing, go Fury - of course if you already have a warden, Fury is redundant.

Do inquisitors even have to melee anymore? I don't play one and idk if that's something that's changed lately. Perhaps someone else can comment.
  14. GIndotto Well-Known Member

You don't get as much out of a wand on the Inq. Namely because of 2 things: 1) Your Cleric side AA multiplier applies to melee weapons only, not spell, and B) You get a buff in the only stance an Inq ever uses (offensive) that give you a fat WDB boost (again, not SWDB). If you're fighting 3+ mobs and you're stacked on AA stats you can get 2 mil+ no problem but single target it really wanes, and that's where we shine the most. Stick to the blunt objects.
  15. Rhinok New Member

Well I wasn't too serious about tanking (more of a joke on how I want to do it all)

Dps/heal/buff

The above 3 well is ideal
  16. Regolas Well-Known Member

Inquisitors don't just stand around. They hit things with big hammers.

I was grouping with my inq the other day and I didn't even need to cast a heal on the tank. My meleeing was keeping the group healed (through AAs)
  17. Mermut Well-Known Member

/agrees The melee healers get a bunch of heals, buffs, damage reduction, etc, from smacking the mob on the back of the head with their bonking sticks ;)
  18. Silvr Member

If your son doesnt mind playing the druid I would betray him to a fury (as mentioned above for the mage oriented healer), and I would suggest you create an illusionist or troubadour. A support class for the mages with those class would be a pretty strong group.