Familiar experience?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Doobius40504, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Doobius40504 Active Member

I've had my familiar equipped for over a week and went from level 90 to 91 in the last day but my familiar still hasn't gained one point of experience. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Bludd Well-Known Member

familiars gain xp from eating other familiars or using xp leveling items (either straight level (save those for the latest levels) or numerical xp which can roll over levels)
    Hartsmith and Breanna like this.
  3. elflover Well-Known Member

Hartsmith, Breanna and Bludd like this.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Bookmarked.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  5. Doobius40504 Active Member

I thought maybe it was because I'm only level 91, but I see now that Consuming another familiar is probably what I need to do. Thanks for the help!

Peace!
    Breanna likes this.
  6. elflover Well-Known Member

The more you know/understand sometimes the easier it gets, but sometimes frustrating. In this case easier lol. I like collecting the familiars more than getting xp for them.
    Doobius40504, Hartsmith and Breanna like this.
  7. Svenone Well-Known Member

I don't even bother doing the Familiar's Wild quest any more, because all I ever get are treasured familiars which only give 100 XP when consumed. The celestial familiar from the current expansion takes about 1.5 million XP to reach level 10, though the treasured familiars take less than 9000 XP. That is still nearly 90 days of doing the quest and getting treasured familiars.
  8. elflover Well-Known Member

Ive got fabled ones before recently the wasp and fabled from last season, yet to get celest from this one.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I haven't even begun to try and catch/collect any because of all the other "daily" grinds for overseer, etc. Now I am not sure I am going to want to put that much effort into familiars. :(
    Doobius40504 likes this.
  10. Doobius40504 Active Member

I'm going slowly and steady as always. "Don't go too fast but I go pretty far" I'll probably keep my familiar stable small and max out what I have bit by bit ✌
    Hartsmith likes this.
  11. Marae Well-Known Member

I do Familiars Wild every day on all of my characters that need to. I set goals when the season starts, and as soon as I've achieved all of the goals on a given character, she/he can stop doing the quest. My goals: 1) get all the new treasured and legendary familiars that can be gotten from doing FW into my collection; 2) get a fabled or (if I'm really, really lucky) celestial familiar for my active familiar; 3) level said active familiar up to level 2 or better (how high I can go depends on how many extra familiars I've stockpiled in accomplishing goals 1 & 2).

Familiars Wild Season 7 started on June 24, 2020, so at this writing I have been doing it for 76 days.

The net result at this point:

Six characters have completed all goals and are taking a well-deserved break.
    Seven characters still need to get a fabled or celestial; one of those also still needs one of the legendaries,
    One character got a celestial on the SECOND DAY of Season 7 (that's June 25) that she is still trying to get to level 2 (it still needs 9700 xp)

I still have to run more than half my characters through the quest every day, and the 7 who still need a fabled to feed are running out of bag space for all those treasured they're collecting.

I am SO SICK of doing Familiars Wild!!!!!
    Breanna and Bludd like this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Familiar XP potions are dropping from Overseer Missions. Be sure to not just run the 10 daily missions you get (try to do legendary or better, avoid the blue Treasured ones) but also you can go to the Overseer guys (one is in Qeynos Harbor in the shipbuilding area up on a scaffolding, dunno where the FP guy is) and obtain Season 1 Overseer Missions. I recommend checking the list on the wiki so you know which ones are Legendary or better because you can't tell by examining the quest bauble itself.

I have two toons that mainly do my Overseers, with a couple more "in reserve" to whom I am passing extra agents along. I start whatever missions my main two girls have agents to do, then if necessary have my backup pair fill in. This is not something you have to do on all your many alts (assuming you're the kind of person who has many alts!)

I have STACKS AND STACKS of barding unlocks and mount leveling potions in the bank, which I am saving for the new mounts we'll inevitably get next expansion. Thus far, I am using all the spell/mercenary/familiar leveling potions.
  13. Marae Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sigrdrifa. I'll check out those quests. I haven't been keeping up with the Overseer stuff because it's just too much on top of everything else I'm doing, but this sounds like it could be very useful. And yes, I do have many alts... lol but back when Overseers started, I did figure out which ones are my mains for doing Overseer quests. I have that written down somewhere.... :D

Of course, that doesn't help (that I can tell) with the other reason for doing Familiars Wild, which is to get new familiars into one's collection. I'm still trying for a fabled on over half my characters, which is really my main source of dissatisfaction. And the other issue I have with this whole system is, there's no way to efficiently get a familiar that feels right for a specific character. You have the ability to use appearance familiars, which is awesome, but what you end up with to use in that slot is just as much a matter of luck as getting your "working" familiar, even if you can afford to spend tons of time or tons of money, or both.

I have also experienced - several times - the frustration of having the perfect appearance familiar, but in a new season, I get a better working familiar that is incompatible with the appearance familiar I've chosen. So I endure six months to a year of the "wrong" familiar until I can (hopefully) get one that works properly again - either that, or settle for lower stats.
    Breanna and Hartsmith like this.