Experimentation Penalty

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Gaarysal, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guiscard Active Member

Not really the same thing though - as you can't increase a lot of the stats - you have very limited choices. So then NO you can NOT Experiment on dropped items!!
  2. Atan Well-Known Member

FWIW, there are a few drops that can be experimented on. I'm not sure how or why they are flagged as such. Probably just a bug.
  3. Cisteros Active Member

Humor AAA AAA
  4. Krashin New Member

My only real issue with the experimentation is the innovators insight is supposed to be a "buff" but almost every time it comes up I lose durability the one thing I cant afford to lose. I agree that it should be difficult. hell I'd like to see crafting the old way where you actually had to make the subs before you made the item..but that's just me.
    Guiscard likes this.
  5. Estal Well-Known Member

Remember the old days when the forge killed more players than raid mobs and the tanks of the top guilds would stand around for days on end in QH afk showing off their full sets of ebon armor:D

Anyway, I don't think it should be possible to lose the item under the condition that you do everything right, but if you do it wrong then well I don't see anything wrong with the item being destroyed then.
  6. Elostirion Well-Known Member

FYI just last night I failed my first experiment.

It was on a Yelnar-researched recipe, cost of mats if I bought them would have been over 5k.

I missed no reactions, and I used only the most conservative set of buttons.

It sucks.

Its part of the bargain to make best in slot items. (or at least they were best in slot yesterday...will have to see the new stuff)
    Guiscard likes this.
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Happened to me on a 5Kp material cost Cloak (Yelnar) it really blows when that happens. I am sorry for your loss.
    Guiscard likes this.
  8. Cynister New Member

LMAO Sig! That is hilarious!
  9. Davngr Well-Known Member

i have destroyed plenty of fabled items because i'm a badie. when it comes to crafting it's almost impossible to keep my focus for that long. i wouldn't say it needs to be easier but when an item is destroyed it should at least give you the transmutables or something. just makes more sense and softens the blow a bit.

also add in more effects to it and add in more raid crafted.

raid crafted was one of the main features at launch and for some reason it died but now it's back and it's a great way to distribute loot since you get to choose what you need and nothing that drops is wasted.
    Guiscard likes this.
  10. Meirril Well-Known Member

You know...raiding and crafting arn't very much alike. Having the argument that crafting should be treated as raiding doesn't seem valid.
    Sure the penalty of experimenting is steep. The rewards are also a little outrageous. The healing proc was nerfed because it was too easily abused to make low level toons invincible. You can turn last-expansion's best crafted gear into this expansion's second best in slot gear. If crafting at the high end of the game continues to be supported, the demand for experimentation is going to go up despite the drawback. Honestly, it seems fair like it is now.
  11. Daray Well-Known Member

It is possible to craft some best-in-slot items with experimentation. With higher rewards should come increased risk, and I'd probably say there isn't enough risk in experimentation as it is.

I've done the experimentation process on over 200 items myself, and failed/destroyed none, so I don't think the experimentation process should be trivialized to accomodate the people that get easily distracted.

If anything, I'd like to see the potential for greater rewards for even greater risk.
    Avirodar likes this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Click the comic to go to the whole collection of FTW strips. They are funny, even more so for players who have been around a while.
  13. Rotherian Well-Known Member

How much worse can you get than having the item destroyed? It destroys all nearby crafting tables for a week? Permadeath from the forge? The destroyed item raids the guild bank before going off into oblivion? :eek:

What exactly are you asking for? o_O
    Kraeref likes this.
  14. Avirodar Well-Known Member

You looked at it the wrong way round. A more logical answer would be an increased risk of destroying an item, via making the process more demanding, less forgiving, and structured in a way that even if you do everything right, you will fail X out of Y attempts.

He was not saying Planet Earth should be consumed by a black hole if a craft process fails... Simply that for a process that can provide best in slot items (or closely comparable), it should be more risk involved, and less assurance of success.
  15. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I know. I was just joking - thus all the emoticons. One way to increase the risk is to reduce the amount of gain from a successful counter (i.e. make it take longer = more opportunities to mess up).
  16. Davngr Well-Known Member

meh.. just think it should give back transmutables since you're blowing it up. that's not making it easier just making it less painful to lose an item and i have lost plenty.
    Guiscard likes this.
  17. mague Active Member

1000+p on linkdead is risky enough. Salvage and refining are a similar joke. Two common wood from an adorned legendary shield ? LOL. Better to spec mass production for writs and earn some status and tokens...
  18. Meirril Well-Known Member

And how does mass production help you do writs? A single combine (even if it consumes materials for 100 items) only counts as one combine for writs.
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

That would allow you to transmute items you arn't able to transmute otherwise. You'd be able to craft a bunch of thurgadin armor (no rare components, no velium shard cost), and then experiment them (fail) into adornment materials. Making the thurgadin armor no-experiment would be very strange as ALL other crafted items can be. I generally don't like anything that you need to put exceptions to the rule in to just make it work. Adding a second layer of potential for abuse isn't what I call desirable.
  20. Estal Well-Known Member

Big difference though between if you do everything right there is still a risk of loosing thousands of plats and doing it wrong has no consequences.

If you happen to raid you might remember pre nerf Matron.... you could do everything right and still fail, was that good? no. was that changed? yes. Same thing with experimentation, if you do everything right then random should not be entitled to harm you.

Or to put it into different words:
    Skill based = ok
    Luck based = not ok
    Sambril, Charlice and Alenna like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.