"EverQuest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown."

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Chiska, May 28, 2017.

1. Chiska New Member

Hello,

I just returned from a 16 day trip. I tried to launch EverQuest II, both directly and from the launch pad. I get the error,

EverQuest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown.
    <verify>
    G:\live\eq2\framework\core\devices\DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp (1927): DirectX Error. (error)
    0083a5bc

What can I do?
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Have you tried shutting down your computer then rebooting? (Easy stuff first, LOL).

You might try clicking your Windows Start button, Run, then type in dxdiag and hit Enter. That's the DirectX Diagnostics tool. It has an option to save the report to a txt file, use that and save it somewhere you can find it, then open that file in Notepad.

Tell us a little more:
    (1) What flavor of Windows do you have?
    (2) How much RAM do you have?
    (3) What version of DirectX does it say it is?
  3. Chiska New Member

Thanks for your reply.

I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (10.0 Build 14393)

I have 8 GB of RAM.

I have DirectX version 12

Everquest was working fine before I went on my trip, just over 2 weeks ago.
  4. Feylone Active Member

EQ2 doesn't like DirectX 12. It's made to run on DirectX 9. There's a thread on it somewhere. Here's the link for the DirectX 9. Hope it helps. :)
  5. Chiska New Member

When I download that link and run it , says I have to be running windows 98, millenium, windows 2000, windows xp, or windows server 2003 to install it.I'm running windows 10.
  6. Feylone Active Member

Maybe this? There's a few posts on here about that error. They all agree tho, EQ2 doesn't like anything except DirectX 9. I'm sure someone will correct me ifI'm wrong.
  7. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

I think that's correct, Feylone. I used the DirectX installer that pops up when you install EQII from the website, and I believe it installed the following DX9 files into C:\Windows\System32:

d3dx9_24.dll
    d3dx9_25.dll
    d3dx9_26.dll
    d3dx9_27.dll
    d3dx9_28.dll
    d3dx9_29.dll
    d3dx9_30.dll
    d3dx9_31.dll
    d3dx9_32.dll
    d3dx9_33.dll
    d3dx9_34.dll
    d3dx9_35.dll
    d3dx9_36.dll
    D3DX9_37.dll
    D3DX9_38.dll
    D3DX9_39.dll
    D3DX9_40.dll
    D3DX9_41.dll
    D3DX9_42.dll
    D3DX9_43.dll

Windows 10 and EQII were clean-installed in April of this year, but the files are dated from 2005 to 2010.
  8. Chiska New Member

I found the dxdx files in my Everquest directory. I removed them, and placed the ones Shmogre linked to into the driectory. It didn't make any difference.
  9. Borracho New Member

btw I still get this error every day. It started with the login server's crapping out weeks ago and never was resolved. I know lots of people who are getting the same issues.

*edit* In fact I just went to log in and got error and have to try to login again
  10. Chiska New Member

Today I downloaded a Window's update, and EQ2 started working again. Woohoo! Crossing my fingers and hoping it keeps working.