Errr, um.. musical instruments?

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-xOnaton1, May 4, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-xOnaton1 Guest

I'm going to have to check that out on the test server with my dirge now:

Items
    • New merchants have arrived in all major cities offering musical instruments for your fun and entertainment.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...32&#4081298

I wonder though, shouldn't woodworkers be given some recipes for these?

Othesus - Dirge - Lucan DLere
    Vaspar - Fury - Lucan DLere
  2. ARCHIVED-thecynic315 Guest

if they do become craftable then the first crafter named Fender on my server is gona make WAY too much money. Now on topic, anyone got a toon on test and can shed some light on this?
  3. ARCHIVED-ravenscale Guest

yea but what irks me is that it doesent seem to be a bard thing sounds like anyone can get them to play music
  4. ARCHIVED-Koibito Guest

pure fluff for rp.
  5. ARCHIVED-Gutterfly Guest

...yet another middle finger to the bards.
    Everyone being able to play one for fluff... weeks after LOTRO release.
    Us being able to use them to aide the party... non-existant for years.
  6. ARCHIVED-Shyish Guest

Gutterfly@Crushbone wrote:
    Dev 1: Our Bards want Instruments Dev 2: They want it for many Years but why should we do it ... Dev 1: But i Hear LotRO has it for everybody Dev 2: LotRO has it? Then we need it too ... Not sure what I should think about it and how they works. At the moment they are buggy I hear, but in LotRO it works with Music and Notes as far as I know. Any Idea how they work in EQ2?
  7. ARCHIVED-n0kn0k Guest

Vadek@Valor wrote:
    LoTR copied nearly everything in their game from other games.
    They did it nicely though ;)
  8. ARCHIVED-Shyish Guest

Jep, but it's all a bit to easy in LotRO ... the Graphic is nice but anything else *shrug* ... :wink: and you can't say that it isn't a bit strange that we get Instruments in EQ2 after LotRO and Vanguard have some and a different Bard System.
  9. ARCHIVED-Topa Guest

I would rather the instruments only served RP purposes then be an equipable part of our actual game role honestly. Reasons being that naturally it seems like an instrument would occupy one's hands where Im currently DWing, giving up dps for more buff-bot seems like a bad trade-off as far as gaming experience goes. Also that if they were functional parts of our inventory it would mean rekitting my weapons slot, which it is pretty late in the Tier/expansion do be demanding of players. What I wouldn't mind seeing implemented would be some sort of music oriented DWs with bonuses to our songs, if they were kept as weapons... as good weapons. Something like a 3 delay, 40-150, 63 rating piercer with + 5-10% quality to Bria's, or Raina's, or Hyran's... A good class specific weapon along those lines would be a cool end to the Sword of Destiny line. Still might be outclassed by the best DWs as far as just straight damage goes, but if the ability they added to it was of high enough quality (and unique), I would certainly concider it for an off hand or atleast situational piece, more so then I would ever turn to the Qeynos Cutlass anyway (outside turnstriking).
  10. ARCHIVED-SourChikn Guest

[p]Yeah i want a DW set thats a Fiddle and Bow that equip'n both gave me like 5% increase to my songs...[/p][p] Really instrustments should be implemented like they plan.. simply RP aspect but at the same time Bards should get instrustments... which should only be Player made drops like EH... that add effects or increase our songs.... maybe even removed conc slots from a buff(self/hryans). This would help balance out bards, since every one thinks we are terribly broken and would not be terribly overpowering.[/p][p] [/p]
  11. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

[p]There's so few items, other than the silly hex doll-thingies, with any value or availability or color in the Charm slots, that I think it'd be really, really nice if an archetype-specific item system, with stuff available at every quality level, came out for those slots. [/p][p]Bards would get musical instruments, Rogues and Preds would get weirdo special weapons, Clerics would get holy relic thingies, mage-types would get magical gizmos (I'm reaching here), fighter-types would get big hunks of raw meat, look, I'm not a developer, they'll come up with something good. The items would mostly have enhance-type powers, they'd make Luda's do more damage or Daro's slow a touch more or something, or they'd have slow-to-cast buffs and debuffs like the hex dolls. Stats in the hex-doll range. Nothing big and unbalancing, just more flavors. [/p][p]And the notion that an instrument doesn't make sense in combat, excuse me, we're in a fantasy world where songs do damage and people can fall hundreds of feet and bounce right up and injuries that'd require six weeks on a ventilator in a good surgical ICU regenerate, provided the character is properly fed, in 25 seconds. I can whip off three complex spell-tunes, which require respectively drum, mandolin, and unaccompanied voice, and not miss a stroke with the Grinning Dirk of Horror which I haven't got. [/p][p]I want my instruments!! Real instruments that do stuff. [/p][p]Sorschae, you can bang your daggers together or equip the chunks of raw meat, whatever. There's always hex dolls. [/p][p]Whysp[/p]
  12. ARCHIVED-Topa Guest

Whysprr@Kithicor wrote:
    Im confused, how are those any different then what charm items already do. I mean there is Thermal Shocker if you want to bother equipping it that does damage, and one of the Hex dolls does attack speed slow, so increasing Daro's is more or less the same thing, isnt it? I mean they could make them have new graphics in the inventory slot, but I dont see them being all that different then what we already have if they have to be cast. If it was something with an inherent bonus and no casting time, like have "Bria's Magic Harp" or w/e in your charm slot get +5 power regen, or one that gave an extra 1 second of Cacophony or something, that was either single time cast like a buff, or a static ability on the item, that would seem pretty nice for sure, but would require coming up with 23-46 other items that would be along the same lines.
  13. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

Topanga@Everfrost wrote:
    I wasn't creative enough, for sure. Basic principles, though, the same; should be interesting and class-driven, shouldn't be hugely powerful. 24-36 items is small potatoes.
    Whysp
  14. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

Doloros@Kithicor wrote:
    [p] MEAT! =)[/p][p]No seriously. A good cat-gut fiddle might get me happy to use an instrument. A cacophonic mace of chimes (oops, no scouts with blunt weapons HERE), a ranged-slot blow-gun of the lowest note, or a reeded blade of the banshee would be right up my alley! Something appropriately... dirge-y.[/p]
  15. ARCHIVED-Crimson Dragon Guest

hey, guess what didn't make it to the GU today...? that's right. instruments. i was looking forward to that, too. even if it is just fluff.
  16. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Madcap@Befallen wrote:
    Dare I hope it was because they're going to implement them properly very soon?
  17. ARCHIVED-SirensSong Guest

[p]Someone mentioned the lack of instruments in the patch feedback, but, ominously, there was no reply...[/p][p]Did any of y'all ever play EQ1? Intrustments there worked to enhance the power of songs. That is, the better instrument you had, the better the song - the better drum, for example, the faster runspeed from your speed song. Of course, bards worked quite a bit differenly in EQ1, and so did the entire spell system.[/p]
  18. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

I played EQ1, but not as a bard. There's actually a thread going about this over in the In-Development forum too. Allegedly one of the big things keeping this from being a Bard-only addition is "balance." Everybody so worried about how if Bards have something like this, they're magically going to be more powerful than any other class, which is a load of bunk if the Devs pay attention to how it worked back before EQ1 got so ridiculously mudflated. Example item: Fodera's Ebony Lute Primary - Two Handed Requires level 20 Equip: Increases potency of Stringed Instrument (Ordination) songs by 5. Two handed item, primary hand. No stats, just spellcasting boosts. I'd even venture to say +25 would be the max to any one casting school, as that's a full 5 levels worth of extra spellcasting skill. You either have weapons and melee, or you cast spells at a dramatically higher level. As for the actual implementation of the boosts, all you have to do is (from a design standpoint) say, "Okay, when we make drums, they boost {skill}; when we make lutes, they boost {skill}." It never has to be any more involved than that. No need for rework of current code, no need for some elaborate system. Just make each instrument (percussion, stringed, winds, voice) stand for a particular casting skill, and boost that spell skill accordingly. As the level of the item goes up, you can add up to 25 points to a spell school, and in cases of really really high end instruments, add some small stat boosts as well. Instruments were a weapon trade-off in EQ1, and I see no reason it wouldn't work in EQ2. If you really have to keep the fluff instruments in for everybody else, just make the fluff instruments charms. Problem solved. I just hope the Devs can hear me. -.-
  19. ARCHIVED-Leelak Guest

[p]I've always believed that instruments would be best in the ranged slot. Would you give up a bow to have an instrument? I sure would if it the instrument was done correctly. I wouldn't want to give up my weapons to beat on a drum, but I'd give up my ranger impression to look like a bard.[/p][p]It could be done a few ways with the first being a bow/satchel replacement. Give the item a dmg rating and let it function with ranged auto-attack. If need be you could even require "ammo" in the form of skins for a drum or strings on the banjo of doom (give the ammo 100 charges and cost comparable to arrows, etc). The instruments could have stats or focus effects, or some of both.[/p][p]Banjo of Doom, slot ranged. Dmg Rating 92.8 Effect: When equipped increase effects of Harl's by 10% or some other random thing. You can put 1 dirge and 1 troub effect on each item easy enough.[/p][p]The other way I could see them going would be without the ranged attack component and allow for slightly more powerful effects while not ranged attacking. When you need to head back to ranged, swap in your bow if you want the damage.[/p][p]For example: Drum, slot ranged. Stats: Some..I'm not about to balance them Effect: Increase trigger chance of Percussion of Stone by 2%[/p][p]With both situations you could have both raid type drops and crafter made drops, and heaven forbid the epic be your choice of an instrument. Vendors could have low end ones on the same NPCs that sell the fluff ones. They can be used for ammo vendors as well. We can also keep our fun slashers and pokers.[/p]
  20. ARCHIVED-Borias Guest

I like that. I think the whole thing about instruments and weapon slots should be left back in the era of twisting. Now that we have concentration songs, we should be able to have a passive instrument bonus as well. Heck, put em in the charm slot and give em no stats, but an effect. Maybe make them only work in charm slot 1, so you can only wear 1 instrument at a time. That way we can keep our bows and still be able to dig out the flute or whatever. Although I would like to somehow get it visual that we're using a particular instrument. Whip out a saxophone on a raid, and really make a super CoB.