EQ3 ... Please be true!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sweety D, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Dgkelly38 Active Member

If the Player Races are going to be different in 3, as they would have been in Next, what will those differences be? Some concepts i have are: A. Barbarians based on the Ainu instead of Vikings. B. Dwarves based on the builders of the Derinkuyu complex. C. Erudites should be vaguely implied as half-human, and half of whomever was inside that thing the Temple of Life is based on. D.If C is scrapped, Erudites could focus more on psychic abilities instead of magic. E. Any cold climate vendors should sell iIgaak as a head slot item. F. If 3 has Mount Stations, said mounts should turn more realistically and not like an airport bag return.
    Geroblue likes this.
  2. Dgkelly38 Active Member

As a variation of point C, what do other players think of the idea that, based on a part in one of the History Of books found at the Concordium and the Academy, the Erudites of EQ3 are the ones who end up on Luclin instead of the Vah Shir?
  3. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Manufacturers of supercomputers liked this.
  4. Lysia Active Member

I'll believe it when it comes out in Beta -- till then .....
    not going to get all excited ....
    Geroblue, DreadRoberts and Siren like this.
  5. Siren Well-Known Member

Oh yeah: It would be great if EQ3 was an open-world MMORPG instead of being zone-based. Even 20 years ago there were open-world games out there. If they can't do it completely open-world, they could do it similarly to World of Warcraft (which is of course 20 years old): Most of each continent is open-world from map area to map area, and the dungeons are zoned instances.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

Siren likes this.
  7. Siren Well-Known Member

Nice find!

But their most recent game launch was for Aliens: Fireteam Elite, hmmm. That doesn't sound very MMORPG-ish. They're a fully-remote development studio, though: That's interesting.

They're currently hiring https://coldironstudios.com/#careers for: Lead Animator, Senior Environment Artist, Senior Combat Designer and Senior Systems Designer with no current openings in Production or Engineering. Sounds like they're not too far along yet, although the projected launch for this mystery title is mid-2025 (according to that EG7 report) so how could they not be?

Maybe it *is* for EQ3! ... Or maybe Planetside 3? Lol. Although they didn't even mention Planetside 2 at all in that whole doc... But then again, they only mentioned EQ2 in passing as its 20th anniversary is coming up, with zero hard numbers at all. EQ2 wasn't even mentioned as a Core Game for them, only Everquest 1.

Cold Iron Studios LLC is owned by Jason Epstein, Chairman of the Board, and Ji Ham, Acting CEO (pg 25 of the EG7 doc).
    Dude likes this.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

Well, they sold Planetside.

https://massivelyop.com/2024/02/14/...ybreak-sold-for-5-9m-is-planetside-after-all/
    Siren likes this.
  9. Siren Well-Known Member

Whoa you are on a roll today! Nice find once again, and holy smoke! Well, at least they didn't just shutter it. Of course, they wouldn't get $5.9 million for just shuttering it.

Er, Everquest 2 isn't on their list of Core Games either, only Everquest. I hope this doesn't portend badly for our little future here. I can't picture them selling EQ2 off though; they wouldn't let anyone else take over the Everquest IP, even just the middle part of it. They would just shutter it, and that wouldn't bring them any money like selling off Planetside did, so let's hope it doesn't come to that.
    Geroblue and Dude like this.
  10. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

I think at this point Everquest is more considered "an IP" than it is a single game. Something of note is that lorewise we have multiversal connections in EQ1 and 2 especially but honestly there are some very small nods to two lesser known games (Everquest Online Adventures, the PS2 MMO as well as the Champions of Norrath series) here and there.

So anything talking about Everquest, 1 or 2 or Unicorn or whatever, will end up being under the "Everquest" banner in business stuff. Kind of like how larger anime companies like Toei Animation often refer to a branch franchise entry by it's main franchise name ("Digimon" instead of "Digimon Frontier" or "Digimon Adventure" for example).
  11. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Kurei is likely to be correct, in that it was a reference to the overall IP, not a specific title.
    But if they actually meant just EverQuest, not EverQuest2, I could not find due cause to argue against it.
    EverQuest has a higher population, more resilient population, and provides more revenue than EQ2.
  12. Solid11 Active Member

Devs love to use code names until Beta.
  13. Dgkelly38 Active Member

One thing i have been thinking of for a couple days is that some of the various races in EQ3 should each have a unique dying animation. (Shared one for the main three Elf races. Shared one for Humans, Barbarians, Half Elves, and Erudites. Shared one for Dwarves and Gnomes)