EQ2 won't open now except first window of Daybreak logo

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by WhysperWynde, Apr 2, 2020.

1. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

I very stupidly messed around & tried to fix a problem I was having with lag in EQ2 after I did Clear Cache & Validate Files due to other issues. So I went into my Control Panel>SystemSecurity-Find&FixPrograms>Programs-RunProgramsForPreviousVersionOfWidnows & chose EQ2 & hit the button. Now when I try to open EQ2 all I get is the black square of background with the red owl eye & Daybreak logo on it. Nothing more happens. Please somebody help!

I thought to just Delete EQ2 & Reinstall it anew, but I get a message when i try to Delete it that says "this program requests Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" & nothing happens. So I can't delete EQ2 to install it fresh .. I don't know what to do now. I've tried to go back and Restore to previous version with my Control Panel but that isn't doing anything either. Any help at all will be appreciated.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Just re-download the launcher, and start it. It will overwrite any old files. Don't ever allow Windows to try to "fix" any program not operated by Microsoft.

At this moment, the whole internet is under strain. My area has slowed by over 40%. Lag may just be the interwebz. The Knowledgebase article on checking the health of your connection may be useful, I'd at least give it a go.

Have you tried the simple stuff?

(1) Start the Launchpad. When you get to Character Select, try hitting the up arrow a bunch of times, repeat with the down arrow. This sometimes forces it to redisplay. Did that help?

(2) Shut down the game, shut down your computer, reset your modem and router. Then turn it all back on. Start the Launchpad, and click the Advanced Tools button (crossed hammer and wrench icon). Ask it to validate files. Did that help?

(3) Close the game, then try opening your EQ2 folder and deleting your logincache-us and/or logincache-eu folders. Start the Launchpad again but don't select a character in the Launchpad, let it go to the Character Select screen. Did that help?

So, as for the lag. The next step, if the things above don't help, would be to get more information:

(1) Go to http://speedtest.net/ -- Click Begin Test, then click Share This Result, then copy the URL it gives you into your reply here. This tells us something about your ISP, type of connection, and UL/DL speeds.

(2) From the START button, in the little window type CMD and hit enter to open a command window. Otherwise, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click the Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator" (For Windows 8 - Press the WINDOWS and X keys together and then click on Command Prompt (Admin). Click Yes to the User Account Control message that appears.)

(3) In the CMD window, you should have a folder address (mine says C:\Users\Administrator>) with a flashing cursor after it. Type in each of three three commands below, one at a time, and let each run. You know it's done when you get the folder address and cursor back.
    • ipconfig /all > c:\netinfo.txt
    • tracert lpj.daybreakgames.com >> c:\netinfo.txt
    • pathping lpj.daybreakgames.com >> c:\netinfo.txt
    (4) Now, go to C:\netinfo.txt, and open that file with Notepad. Copy and paste all that info here. These three commands help us see if you have internet roadblocks, and exactly where they occur.

You need not share these results here if you don't want to. You may be able to see from the results what the problem is, and if so you may be able to take steps to address it yourself.Otherwise, you can paste that info here and we can try to see what the issue may be.
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.