EQ2 on Linux: Is it possible for 'nix noobs?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Evangel, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Evangel Member

Hey folks,

My Win10 installation got borked by an update this morning and I saw it as a chance to give Linux another go. I'd seen posts made by other people playing in Linux environments successfully, and I had lots of experience with Ubuntu in the past so i downloaded Ubuntu Game Pack. It claimed to have a lot of gaming options pre-loaded and sure enough I was able to get EQ2 installed easily enough via Lutris.

Now, don't get me wrong, i was definitely missing EQ2 Maps, but the game looked GOOD. Even better than in my windows install. However, the lag was unreal. I also seem to get locked into auto-run whenever i try to move a couple steps.....i end up running across a field and over a cliff! Is this something that can be fixed/adjusted? Or am i doomed to go back to Win10.....at least until i get a faster PC and better internet?

Currently running EQ on an Intel NUC i3 (1st generation - 8 years old), with 16gb RAM and INTEL HD4000 integrated graphics.

Cheers,
    Evangel
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

well yes

1) lutris is an additional intermediary. just use wine (preferably older releases).
    2) most likely your ubuntu game pack is based on an unstable new release.
    it's better to use an OS based on long-term stable release.
    in addition, newer proprietary drivers are integrated in new systems (open ones are not very suitable for this game) and this isn't good for stability. it also looks like your lutris is using latest (unstable) video driver (if possible, point it for him to an older and more stable version).
    considering that nVidia or ATI don't put more effort into testing them than for their counterparts in windows.
    it takes time and bug reports to identify and fix bugs (which cause lags) (their much less from linux users playing games for windows than from windows users).
    which requires lot more in linux development environment because devs do it for you for free, during your free time from main work.
    if you need linux OS well you will use it. you are strangely reasoning that i will give this system another chance.
    it seems not appropriate to compare commercial systems and systems created on non-commercial principles, on personal initiatives, by user community in terms of efficiency for games developed only for windows. to play in linux comfortably, you must turn on your brains and do everything right. it's in windows you don't need brains.
    if you be played with wearing on head red hat, in that case this will be appropriate. good luck with that (in sense, go back to your windows)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Ameuco Member

It's how I play EQ2.
    The Steam version should work out of the box with proton, no configuration required.

If you aren't using proton via steam, make sure you're using dxvk.
  4. Aquarius New Member

If the game looked better than in Windows, but with huge lag, the graphics settings were probably turned up too high. Just press Alt-o and switch to a lower setting.

I find it works best if you select one of the predefined settings, and then turn up textures to maximum. Newer graphics cards can handle the textures easily.

I've ran EQ on Linux for many years. Before I used Crossover, now I'm using Lutris.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What if I don't want Steam, what would you suggest? :-/

Uwk
    who detests Steam...
    Tkia, Ra'Gruzgob and Breanna like this.
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

what i like about steam is that you can turn your thumb up and down