EQ2 is the best MMO ever made.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Mortam, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Mortam Member

UPDATE: As I said before my wife and I are back in EQ2. Recently some friends returned also, for pretty much the same reasons as us - they are simply bored/frustrated with newer MMOs, short lived distractions, that just don't "do it" for many of us old-timers.

We ran some dungeons, and I have to say we all had more fun than we have had in years! I don't know what it is about EQ2, but it still has it :)
    suka, Moonpanther and Raff like this.
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

I play almost every new game MMO typre that comes out...for awhile. GW2 held me the longest. But even that was only a couple of years. And I still dabble in it.

But I always come back to EQ2.
  3. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

When I made my last post in this thread, I was away from the game for a while, and not even playing when I posted it. Now I have been back playing it, which I started back up shortly after making that last post.

I have never been so hooked on an MMO in my life. I mean, according to my game tracker I have been playing 10-15 hours per day. Last couple days have been a tiny bit less, but still up near 10 hours. I will probably end up burning myself out again lol, but I am enjoying it so much! I even started grouping (well, duoing) which I had never done before and its so much fun. I hope to do more of it! I even offered to help a guildie with an advanced solo zone and it was fun. I really enjoy the new advanced solo zones, this was my first time playing the ones in ToV. I thought running the same dungeon over and over every few days would get boring but I actually really find it fun. Its exciting to hope for a nice upgrade at the end of the dungeon.

All in all though, I still fully enjoy this game and still consider it the best on the market. Easily. Finally getting myself to converse with the guild, pushing through my anxiety, has been great fun. They finally know that I exist :p
  4. flameweaver Well-Known Member

When I started EQ2, in pre launch BETA, this game was a brilliant MMO, content was great - and still is, even the current beta looks good. But over the years the game a has lost some of it's shine and now it feels less than a MMO and more like a single player game that just happens to have other players running around "my turf".

I yearn for the old days of group content in overland zones, heroic dungeons and groups that needed to work together. It's no longer the case and it's not just EQ2. Every MMO I've tried in the last 5 years - and there's been more than a few - is now almost exclusively providing less multiplayer content than a true MMO really needs. The MMO model is broken and I think beyond repair.

EQ2 the best ever MMO ? For sure it was, but I don't think that's case any longer. There is currently nothing out there that matches what EQ2 has provided and continues to provide, but I'm no longer convinced that anything that is around now that calls itself a MMO, and that includes EQ2, is a true MMO and I doubt any of them will ever be again. At best they are RPG's with some social content only. It's sad, but unfortunately that is where the suits and money men have driven the genre and it's going to take a brave developer to go up against this.

I wish someone would, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
  5. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

The only game that comes close to that these days would be Wildstar. Unless all the whiners about it being to hard caught on and they made the game easier and more solo friendly. I haven't played since the first month of release.
    flameweaver likes this.
  6. santargria Well-Known Member

My opinion is Vanguard was the best MMO ever created - it was much more difficult and rewarding than EQ 1 and 2 - alas it went belly up for various reasons, but boy was it fun!

Don't get me wrong, EQ 2 isn't bad just not the best for me - but a decent 2nd best at the moment.
    flameweaver likes this.
  7. Katz Well-Known Member

I've played a lot of other games: GW1 and GW2, Lotro, Aion, Rift, ESO, AoC, Swtor, Wow, and Anarchy Online (probably forgot some). The one I keep coming back to is EQ2. Each of the other games has a few things I like and wish were in EQ2 but EQ2 has many many things I enjoy doing that the others don't have.
    suka likes this.
  8. flameweaver Well-Known Member

I played for a couple of months, but heard only last week that NCSoft are laying of bunch of staff. Future not looking too good there.
  9. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Nah laying off staff does not always mean bad future, just possibly means updates may be less frequent. SOE has gone through layoffs, and we are still here ;)
  10. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Generally I would agree, but NCSOFT, an Asian Company that owns some western development companies are laying staff off in all of their western titles, with the single exception GW2. All of the others including WS are taking big hits to headcounts and NCSOFT has reputation for canning titles (almost) at the first sign of a blip.

It seems to me to be the start of a slippery slope. But this is off topic.

EQ2 I think is safe for now, but I also believe the next expansion could create problems down the line if the sales bomb.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

well, i played eq1 for about 5 or 6 years before trying eq2. I had begun to lose interest in eq1 as the zones got harder and you needed a real group- not triple boxing to do anything there. being mostly a solo player, i found myself losing interest fast. to me, i need to at least have a chance of killing a mob. losing levels is no fun - that and the constant evictions for not bringing in all 40 of my toons in every three months because i was working on a few toons and forgot that it was time.

then i found eq2. that was three years ago. i tried it, felt lost in it, went back to eq1 and then one day thought that i should try it again because the first time around i really didn't give it much of a chance. that was about 3 months after the first try. I've been here ever since. the only reason i bought the expansion in eq1 today is because my brother-in-law plays my toon as a triple box along with my sister's toon and his.

as for other games, there were one i played during the downtime of the hack and another i played right after trying eq2 for the first time. the one during the hack and forced break was the original Guild Wars. I bought 3 expansions and i still go back and play when eq2 is down for an extended period. I liked the fact that once i bought the game, there was nothing else i really had to pay for. during that time, we still had to pay monthly for eq or we didn't get to log in so GW was a refreshing change.

The other game i tried out was LOTRO. I have a number of toons maxed in tradeskills there all tradeskills covered and i still go back to make and sell dyes so i can keep up the rent on my houses and my sister's house. she is glad i did so because she is getting back into LOTRO now.

Although i think LOTRO is pretty, it simply doesn't hold my interest as far as gameplay goes. She and my brother-in-law both say they don't like eq2, but i think t5hey simply never really tried it. as for me, i love it and won't give it up for any other game. the other games i play are my fall-back - what i play if we are down for a day or so.
    ShaggyBodom likes this.
  12. elpida88 New Member